Author Topic: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 42526 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 June 13 07:32 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1877 my great great aunt Alice Elizabeth Holmes married Cornelius Dagwell (aka John) in Kings County New York.

Alice had been born in Birmingham in 1851 to William Holmes a brushmaker and Caroline nee Whateley

Like several siblings she emigrated, travelling on the John Foster junior in 1870 Liverpool to New York.

After the marriage Cornelius was know as John, and they had a daughter Ella May Dagwell b 1879. 

Alice also looked after her younger brother Samuel who was sent to New York at age 14 after his mother's death.

I cannot find John after 1888 or Alice after 1892. A newspaper article suggest John may have run off with another man's wife. Their daughter turned up in New Hampshire and married there.

Photo is Alice
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 June 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
June 3rd

In 1733 my 6xGreat Grandmother Elizabeth Fuller (maiden name and birthdate unknown) was buried in Diss Norfolk. Exact death date unknown. She had been married to Thomas fuller and the couple had 4 sons, 3 of whom died in infancy/childhood.

In 1783 my 2nd cousin 5 times removed Emma Nind was baptised in Heckfield, Hampshire.(exact birthdate unknown)  Daughter of Phillip Nind & Catherine Trant she died unmarried at the age of 67

In 1967 my 2nd cousin once removed was born in Pointe-Claire, Quebec (Still living)

In 1984 My 2nd cousin married in Cornwall Ontario (still living)
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 June 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure on what day they actually married but on 2nd June 1784 my 5xG grandparents Peter Ross and Agnes Mason gave up their names for proclamation to be married and gave two shillings and sixpence to the poor box. They married in Colinton, then a small village, now a suburb of Edinburgh. Peter was 24 and had been born just outside Edinburgh and baptized, like all his siblings, in St. Cuthberts, also known as Westkirk. Agnes is a brickwall at the moment. Susanna, their second daughter and third of their six children was my 4xG grandmother.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 June 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
I have no family anniversaries today but it is my best friend's birthday. Normally we would  celebrate with an evening of drinking Pimms and playing boules but she has tootled off on holiday this year so we'll have to do it some other time. :(
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 June 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
Not many today, but a deluge of my and my husband's ancestors tomorrow. ::)

On 3rd June 
Selina  Gibson (nee Benson) my aunt (and my dad’s eldest sister) was born in Glasgow in 1908.  Her father was a musician and travelled around with various orchestras, although some time after her birth and before May 1910, the family moved to Manchester where they stayed, although their father kept on travelling and died in Scotland in 1926, leaving a widow and 6 children.

Agnes Mumby (nee Benson) my g.g.aunt was baptised at Ireleth Chapel, Ireleth, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1860.  Her husband James William Mumby was my g.g.uncle before they married, as they were sister and brother respectively of my g.grandfather and my g.grandmother

Sarah Charlotte Mumby my 2 x g.g.aunt (and aunt of Agnes Mumby’s husband above) was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1824

Margaret Myre my 7 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Whicham, Millom, Cumberland in 1676

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 02:58 BST (UK) »
13th June would have been my departed mum's birthday.

Died in November 2003 following a house fire

Susan

How awful, Susan...the fire I mean.     It will be my 80th this coming 13th June.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 03:37 BST (UK) »
     My great grandfather James Currie Draffan was born on 5th June, 1846 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire and he was baptised on 13th June 1846  (my birthday).    It is however his father John Draffan I would like to bring back to life by a little imagination and some help from Rabbie Burns.

"I cheery on did wander:
       I thought upon the banks o'Coil,
       I thought upon my Nancy,
       And I mind't the witching smile
       That caught my youthful fancy.

At length I reach'd the bonie glen,
       Where early life I sported;
       I pass'd the mill and trysting thorn,
       Where Nancy aft I courted:"

The Soldier's Return 1793

Having set the scene I ask you all to move forward 48 years to the Spring of 1841.    The Trysting Thorn which Burns has so immortalised was still there and as you can see from a Google Satellite map of Coylton, Water of Coyle still flows from south to north crossing the main road very close to the old Weaver's cottages where lived the young 26 year old John Draffan with his Uncle John Tassie.   

Now please take a look at this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coylton      The first coloured picture down on the left is of the Old Manse built in 1839.     Just two years later we find the wee 22 year old lass Agnes Currie employed as a live in Servant to the Minister Alex Duncan and his wife Euphemia.     Just how John and Agnes first met we can only wonder.   Perhaps it was at the Old Kirk or the one that took its place?     They must though have then met at the Trysting Thorn, for Nancy is a nickname for Agnes.

A new Trysting Thorn now grows elsewhere in Coylton, nurtured from precious shoots sent up from the roots of the Old Tree which expired in 1916.    The couple married in Coylton in August 1841 and they were blessed at the end of the following year with the birth of their daughter Jane.  James Currie Draffan came along in 1846 as already mentioned, but sadness was soon to strike the heart of John, for 'Nancy' passed away just two years later.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 07:04 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1865, my great grandfather cousin (cousin 2 x removed) was baptised at St Andrew's Worcester

At one point lived in Worcester High Street not far from Edward Elgar
THis may have had some influence as she went on to be a music teacher and formed Miss Alex. Griffin's Banjo, Mandoline and Guitar Orchestra 

She held regular concerts with her mostly ex pupils.

Died rather early on 7th June 1904

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
June 4th -- quite a slew of baptisms today!

In 1814 my 2xGreat Grandmother Matilda Trant was baptised at St Peters Leeds. Her exact birthdate is unknown. She was the daughter of Thomas Trant & Elizabeth Beverley. At the age of 28 she became the second wife of Dr Thomas Wainwright of Barnsley. The couple had 8 children, two of who died in infancy/childhood plus Thomas's two surviving children from his first marriage. She died in 1883 in Birkdale Lancashire.

Also baptised at the same time was Matilda's elder brother Nicholas Trant. He was 3 yrs old at the time. He followed his father into the medical profession and settled in London with his wife Rachel Pariss. They had 5 children, 4 of whom lived to adulthood. He died at the early age of 41

In 1833 my 3 x Great Aunt Charlotte Watson was baptised at Weedon Bec Northants. She was the 7th child but 2nd  daughter of Joseph Watson and his second wife Ann Whiting. She married William Roots of Colchester Essex and had 6 children

In 1854 my 2 x Great Aunt Edith Charlotte Watson was baptised at Holy Trinity Church Marylebone. She was the 2nd daughter of Noah Watson and Mary Ann Clark. She was married twice, firstly to Emery Thomas Humphrey in 1878 with whom she had one son. In 1890 she married a Methodist Minister, James William Haywood and had twin sons and a short-lived daughter. She died in 1842 at the age of 88.

Finally, in 1862 another double baptism of my 1st cousins 3 x removed, Walter & Elliott Andrews at St Saviours, Chelsea. They were the sons of Maria Frances Clark and Alfred Charles Andrews. Walter was 2 yrs old at the time. Elliott died at a year old in 1863.

And now a marriage:

In 1781, my 4 x Great Grandparents John Whiting & Frances Cave married at Braefield-in-the-Green, Northants. John was a wheelwright. They had at least 3 children. They both lived to ripe old ages, John dying in 1843 at the age of 83, and Frances in 1847 at the age of 90.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all