Author Topic: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh  (Read 34474 times)

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 July 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Just another researcher trying desperately to locate her Hendersons in Fermanagh.
I have a JANE Henderson, b. c1811 who married possibly in  MAguires Bridge area c.1839 a John COULTER. 1839-1940 they had a daughter ANN likely in Maguires Bridge area (or so her obit claims). My Grandfathers diaries claim they were from Maguires bridge as well. Apparently John Coulter was a weaver by trade (although he was always a farmer in Canada).  Jane and John and baby Ann emigrated to Canada before 1843 when son GEORGE was born in Montreal. His  baptismal certificate is signed by a MARY Henderson. In 1844 daughter MARY was born Her baptismal cert is signed by ANN Henderson and MARY Henderson. In 1946 son WILLIAM was born. His Baptismal record is signed by an ELIZABETH Henderson. By 1851 the Coulter family appear on the 1851 and1861 Census for Etobicoke, Ontario.
1871 They are living in Toronto, Peel and 1881 and 1881 the family is in Chinguacousy. Jane Henderson Coulter dies there in 1888. Her ON death does not name her parents.

I am assuming that JANE, ANN, MARY AND ELIZABETH Henderson are all sisters, or Mother and sisters or perhaps a sister-in law. Possibly they all emigrated together to Montreal. I have no clue what happened to any of the other 3. I have Jane well documented.  But thats all folks. after 30 years of research.
Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HENDERSON Enniskillen, Fermanagh DATABASE
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I am currently working on a database of all the potential Hendersons in Fermanagh (basically pre 1850)  on Ancestry. It is currently a private  tree (if you can call it that) . I would be happy to send anyone who is interested an invite. I am hoping you can add to the tree and connect some of the families. None of this is really proven. It is  gathered from all over the web. It is a desperate attempt to find a family for my Hendersons (see my other post).
Searching: Coulter, Morrison and Henderson, McDonough and McCommiskey in Ireland; Hall, Johnston, Dickson, Danskin in Scotland; Taylor, Maddocks/Maddox, Smith in Birmingham and Shropshire. Heselton in Yorkshire

Offline Donna Lee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I found your postings re HENDERSON in Enniskillen. I am tracing my own line from that area.
Robert 'David', born about 1768, and Anjelina, born abt 1779, HENDERSON left Enniskillen in 1818 with 8 children - John N., 1798; William T., 1801; Robert, 1805; James, 1808; David, 1809; Margaret, 1813; Elizabeth, 1815 and George, 1816. The family arrived in Saint John in the Spring of 1818.
They may have come on the same vessel as another HENDERSON family, Andrew and Susannah (SLACK) HENDERSON and their son, George. Andrew left journals telling about his life and mentioned that he 'traveled with kin ' from his home in Northern Ireland to the New World. The parts of the journal which may have mentioned the kin were cut out by Andrew himself in later years.
Many of the names I have seen in this forum are mentioned in Andrew's journals. His sisters went to Cash Hill to look after an aunt (I believe on the ARMSTRONG side of the family.)
Andrew had several brothers for which I have names but nothing else. ( William, George Henry, Joseph, Mitchell).
Does any of this ring any bells? The family was strongly Methodist beginning with Andrew's parents, George and Elizabeth (ARMSTRONG) HENDERSON, although some of the brothers retained their Anglican roots.
I am anxious to find out more about Andrew's older brothers and also the family of my Robert 'David'.
Thank you for your time and any help you can offer, particularly on where to get information in Enniskillan when you don't know parishes concerned.
Donna Lee

Offline Lilyione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I would love to believe that all these folk, and all of us were/are connected. Since this isn't so far back, perhaps we can all connect through DNA. If we connect there, it makes the search for paper proof more eminent. There are probably records we can search but, currently it must be done in Ireland and it is page by page searching.  Both my sister and I have tested at Family Tree DNA. I am happy to give you access to my Henderson database on Ancestry. None of it is connected just names right now. Since this is your first message I cant send you my email online here at rootschat, with my email. Make a couple more postings and we can communicate privately.

Offline Donna Lee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 October 14 18:12 BST (UK) »
I am not sure my Robert 'David' HENDERSON is related to Andrew HENDERSON, but circumstantial evidence sure points that way. My stumbling block is knowing how to work the N.Ireland end. Any help would be appreciated.
Donna Lee

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Dhontario you mentioned about religious differences.  I have researched this and the differences were  between the Primitive Wesleyans and the Methodists.
When Charles Wesley died, he had requested that the funeral service should  be conducted by the Church of England  The Wesleys never intended to set up a separate Methodist Religion. It was meant to be an offshoot of the C of E.

Offline Fermanagh Henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 October 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Sue in NY,

That is a very intriguing story about how families would punsih the younger generation for attending Methodist meetings. 

By any chance do you remember the title of the book on Methodisim that you found this information? 

Thank you!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I’m a little late joining back into this thread, but better late than never as they say.

I’ve been in contact with several of you here, Mike is my 2nd cousin (but we knew that long before DNA testing), and DNA and Y-DNA have proven I’m related to others here also. 

Mike did a Y-DNA test several years ago which shows our Hendersons from the parish of Derryvullan are related to Donna’s line from Drumconnis (Magheracross parish) and Dave’s line from Cashel (Inishmacsaint parish).  Additionally, land records show a VERY close relationship between William Henderson of Cash Hill (then a farm and now a sub-townland in the townland of Drumbulcan, Magheracross parish) and Donna’s line at Drumconnis. 

From another of Mike’s Y-DNA matches, I was given some very interesting information that seems to prove that almost all, if not all, the Hendersons of Magheracross and Derryvullan parishes of County Fermanagh were/are related, and then there is the DNA evidence that shows a relationship with the Hendersons at Inishmacsaint also. 

There does seem to be some discrepancy, however, with Ann Henderson and James Copeland.  The book that some refer to, HISTORY OF METHODISM IN IRELAND by Crookshank, does tell of how badly some of these young converts were treated by their parents, however, I wonder if the footnote that talks about Ann was possibly hand-written in?  The reason I’m wondering is because there does not appear to be a footnote that is part of the book which states this.  The book only mentions a “Miss Henderson” who “was obliged to leave home for a time, and retire to the house of Mr. Little, near Florence Court.”  It doesn’t give her first name. 

The part that is really confusing is that William Henderson of Cash Hill wrote a 1765 Indenture and a 1780 Will.  In the 1765 Indenture, William states that his daughter, Ann, was married to a man named Maxwell (not Copeland).  Also, Ann was William’s daughter by his first marriage and her birthdate is about 1745, not 1754.   

In William’s 1780 Will, he mentions James Copeland and a son and daughter of James’, but unfortunately not the name of his wife.  I have James married to Elizabeth (likely Elizabeth Jane) in my tree, not Ann, but after reading this thread, that must be wrong?  Could James Copeland been married to Elizabeth, OR, is it possible that Anne was first married to a Maxwell, and then sometime after 1765 she married James Copeland?  Does anyone have anything concrete that says James Copeland was married to Ann?  It would be nice to have something concrete that Ann was the one who was married to James Copeland.   

Another oddity is the information that you provided Sue, that states, “The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Slack was married to a Mr. Thomas Mitchell near Monaghan.  They had 6 daughters and 1 son, their eldest daughter was married to Mr. Henderson (this would be the William above) of Cash Hill near Ballinamallard…and their daughter Anne was married to Mr. James Copeland and resided first in Lissorty near Clones, then Lisbellaw four miles from Enniskillen, about 1776.”  Do you remember where you found this information?  Again, it would be helpful to know for sure where this information originated because it seems some information was missing from that account. 

As Donna mentioned, William Henderson of Cash Hill (who was married to Jane Mitchell), their son George Henderson (also mentioned in the book) had a son named Andrew who wrote many journals of which 26 remain.  In these journals Andrew talks about his family by name so we have some information we know for sure to be correct. 

According to Andrew’s journals, William Henderson was first married to a woman we have no information on, but they had four children.  Jane Mitchell (the oldest daughter mentioned above who married Mr. William Henderson) was first married to Joseph Hurst and had four children.  When William’s first wife and Jane’s husband, Joseph, passed, that is when William Henderson and Jane (Mitchell) Hurst married and had five children together.  The information that states “their oldest daughter was married to Mr. Henderson” seems to have left out that that she was first married to someone else.     

Sue and Lilyione, I completely agree with you about the Hendersons of County Fermanagh being related and so far, DNA seems to prove that theory – at least for the Hendersons of Magheracross, Derryvullan, and Inishmacsaint parishes.  Lilyione, I believe you have been in contact with my cousin, Audrey.  We have been doing the same thing as far as a Henderson database.  I would appreciate it if you would take a look at my tree on Ancestry and let me know your thoughts, and I’d love an invite to view your tree as well if you are still willing.  I will also gladly share the documents I mentioned above with anyone who is interested.

I apologize for my VERY long post, but for those of you who know me or know of me, LONG emails are just what I seem to do! ;-)

Thank you, and I’ll be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Loni
(Lana Henderson-Lucas family tree on Ancestry)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 March 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I went back over my notes, and I believe I understand the confusion and I have a theory that may help explain this confusion…

Here on RC, Sue in NY wrote:  “…The daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Slack was married to a Mr. Thomas Mitchell near Monaghan.  They had 6 daughters and 1 son, their eldest daughter was married to Mr. Henderson of Cash Hill near Ballinamallard…and their daughter Anne was married to Mr. James Copeland and resided first in Lissorty near Clones,…(then) Lisbellaw four miles from Enniskillen, about 1776”  She said she found this information through Copeland references.

Sue also mentioned that according to the book, History of Methodism, Ann Henderson was sent for a while to live with the Little family at Florencecourt, however, the book only says, “Miss Henderson” but doesn’t mention a first name.  Sue said that there is a footnote that says, “Anne Henderson was married to James Copeland of Lisbellaw”, but both these notes must have been handwritten in later because they are not part of the book.

Also, here on RC aghadowely shared a Flickr link to James Copeland’s headstone (last photo on that page) – which also includes his wife, ELIZABETH Copeland, and their daughter, Ann Thompson.  These photos of the Old Magheracross Cemetery were taken by “Magheracross Boles” 13 years ago by John Boles who still lives in Ireland and is a known descendant of James and ELIZABETH Copeland.

The very last portion of the stone with Anne’s date of death and age is cut off in the photo, but the full text per John Boles via a later email reads:  "Here lieth the body of James Copeland late of Lisbellaw who died the 22nd day of June 1815 in the 61st year of his age. Also of Elizabeth his wife who died the 6th day of January 1819 in the 62nd year of her age. And of Anne Thompson their daughter who depd (departed) this life the 8th day of August 1819 in the 28th year of her age". 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52897031@N06

This clearly shows that James was married to Elizabeth, not Anne.  However, even James’ FindAGrave listing only has the first part of the inscription with his information, but disregards the information about his wife Elizabeth and daughter.

These names and dates match the death records at the Ireland Genealogy Project Archives:

James COPELAND
Lisbellaw
24/6/1815

Elizabeth COPELAND
Enniskillen
8/1/1819

Ann THOMPSON
Enniskillen
9/8/1819

https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/magheracross-bur.htm

*Notes:  The dates in Ireland use the format day-month-year.  Also note that names were spelled as they sounded, so spellings can vary, as in the case of Ann(e) above.

It appears that after James passed, Elizabeth went to live with their daughter, Ann, at Enniskillen, who then passed just a month after her mother. 

Here is my theory…  I think all the information is correct, but the interpretation needs some context and clarification.

I think it’s very likely that Mr. William Henderson of Cash Hill was in fact married to the eldest daughter of Thomas Mitchell of Monaghan, but this would have been William’s first wife, with whom he had a daughter named Anne, born about 1745.  William’s first wife passed away sometime shortly after the birth of their fourth child, Frances, who was born about 1752. 

According to William’s grandson’s journals, after his grandfather’s first wife passed, William then married Jane Mitchell who had first been married to Joseph Hurst.  In those days it was very common if someone’s spouse passed away, many times the remaining widowed spouse would then marry a sibling of their spouse - which would fit perfectly with the accounts above. 

The wording of Sue’s account, “their eldest daughter married Mr. Henderson” sounds to me like a first marriage, it does not sound like an older woman who had been married, had children, and was now widowed when she married Mr. Henderson, so I think it is very possible that William’s first wife was the eldest Mitchell daughter – the oldest sister of his second wife, Jane Mitchell.   

So William’s wife and Jane Mitchell’s husband had both passed and then they married each other, and THEIR oldest daughter, Elizabeth, born abut 1757 (much closer to Sue’s date of 1754 for who she believed to be Anne) and she (Elizabeth) is the one who married James Copeland - just as James Copeland’s headstone shows, “wife Elizabeth”.

I think the confusion is likely just a misunderstanding of who “their” daughter was.  Someone wrote that “their” eldest daughter, Anne, married James Copeland, but I think someone just assumed it was Anne knowing she was William’s eldest daughter, not knowing “their” was referring to William second marriage to Jane Mitchell, and “their” eldest daughter, Elizabeth.  We know William’s oldest daughter is in fact Anne, so it was assumed it was Ann when someone wrote that footnote in Sue’s book. 

So, in other words, James’s Copeland’s wife was not the oldest daughter from William’s first marriage, but the oldest daughter of his second marriage, and it was this daughter, Elizabeth, who married James Copeland, just as the records show.

There is no way to know for sure at this point if William’s first wife was in fact his second wife’s oldest sister, but we do know with certainty it was his second wife who was Jane Mitchell and we know their oldest daughter was Elizabeth, and it was Elizabeth who married James Copeland.