Author Topic: Russian/Belarus families 1900's-  (Read 3199 times)

Offline annaarchives

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russian/Belarus families 1900's-
« on: Monday 03 June 13 02:28 BST (UK) »
My family and i immigrated in '93 - and are familiar with our immediate family histories up to six generations back. I'm looking for names like:

- Kocherovsky/Kacherovsky (Aaron, Volf, Bentze-Haim), Samara, Russia
- Barenboim (Rosa-Chadra, Frima) Samara, Russia
- Kazakevich, Boris. Novozybkov, Russia or Rechitsa, Belarus

I can't seem to track much information at all before the WWII. Any help??

Offline annaarchives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jewish Russian Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 13 02:31 BST (UK) »
Looking for names:

Any help?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russian/Belarus families 1900's-
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...This is a good place to start:

https://familysearch.org/search

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

To avoid any duplication of information, could we keep this discussion to one topic?

www.jewishgen.org will be a good place to start - you need to determine what records survive and where they are now kept. Information from the 1900s is often not available online.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annaarchives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
I've been through jewishgen with no familiarities, even though i looked up many names. I'm familiar with the russian language but even some records that have cross-alphabet records, do not have the names of my ancestors.

A few of my family have even been people of influence, as little as there were in pre-USSR/during USSR eras.
Boris Kozhevnikov, a known wine-variety and grape scientist, fought in the WWI and was speared in the lung with a bayonet. He died at 40 or so without having seen his child, my grandmother.

His family was well-to-do and had their own brick two story house, while everyone at the time was living in drafty apartment complexes. The house even still exists today, but no longer belongs to the family.

Anyway many interesting stories, with no records. Very sad.

Offline ismail42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing you this e-mail from Istanbul city of Turkey. I am married to a citizen of Azerbaijan and we are married since 2007. Before our marriage my wife said to me that her ethnical roots had come from Poland Jews.

We were discussing recently about history as usual, then suddenly i asked her why she ( or her family ) never did a search to find her roots. According to her words they have almost no official documents and those Jew people are not alive now.

We know those points only mentioned below and i would want to ask you if you get any information or advice to help us to find her far relatives. I found your contact information when i read about Adam Mickiewicz recently  because her grandmother of grandmother ( mother side ) is cousin of Adam Mickiewicz and she had same surname.

After they met in Minsk city, Two cousins of Adam Mickiewicz married to two cousins men from Azerbaijan ( i think there was internal war or similar problem with Russia in that time ) and after their marriage they converted to Islam and moved to Azerbaijan .  We know   Name of first cousin is Eva Kazakecih ,after converting to Islam, her name converted to HAVVA ( Havva muslim version of Eva )

But my wife generation came from other cousin, we do not know her first name but we are sure her last name was Mickiewicz, after converting to Islam, her name converted to Halime. Halime met with her husband ( Vahid Efendiyev)  in Minsk city then moved to Azerbaijan ( Probably Sheki city ) but after a while husband arrested and put into prisonerhome and died there because he and his brother (Abid Efendiyev Mamed Oglu ) were businessmen at that time and after Soviet revolution the government wanted to nationalize all but Vahid Efendiyev rejected to give his Money. But his brother moved together with government and was an active member of Bolshevik forces.

Then Halime and all children exiled to Kazakhstan because of his husbands anti communist behaviours ( sent to death  but they came back to Azerbaijan later with health, probably at last times of Stalin ) but only one child was exempted from the exiling to Kazakhstan ( Her name was Aziza ) because Uncle father side  ( Abid Efendiyev Mamed Oglu 1878-1946 ) of Aziza adopted her to save life of his niece and used his permeation and force at government .

You can see at attachment some pages from a book where his life is told, he was considered as a good Soviet citizen by government because of the reasons I told above. We get the original book at my wifes home in Baku.

Aziza had two daughters Leman and Pike. Leman is grandmother of my wife ( Nigar ). Leman remembers very well singing of her grandmothers and reading poetries in Jew ( or Yiddish ) language and her talkings with Jew neighbours in Baku city. Leman was willing to learn past of her family but always blocked by her mother and grandmother because during Soviet time, searching of ethnical or religious things were dangerous and can get bad reaction by government.  Halime and Aziza did not tell details about their Jew roots. So Leman wanted to search independently and decided to start from her grandmothers ( Halime ) marriage but could not find any document at Minsk archives, the officers claimed that all documents were destroyed because of a big burn. Of course she did not believe but could do nothing  as well.

But now we want to know the details of reality and want help from you.
The main problem is to find someone in Minsk city to get the marriage document to learn details of Mrs. Halime.
I would be grateful if you can Show us a way to end our search.

Best regards

Ismail Gundogar

Offline ismail42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
My family and i immigrated in '93 - and are familiar with our immediate family histories up to six generations back. I'm looking for names like:

I can't seem to track much information at all before the WWII. Any help??
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing you this e-mail from Istanbul city of Turkey. I am married to a citizen of Azerbaijan and we are married since 2007. Before our marriage my wife said to me that her ethnical roots had come from Poland Jews.

We were discussing recently about history as usual, then suddenly i asked her why she ( or her family ) never did a search to find her roots. According to her words they have almost no official documents and those Jew people are not alive now.

We know those points only mentioned below and i would want to ask you if you get any information or advice to help us to find her far relatives. I found your contact information when i read about Adam Mickiewicz recently  because her grandmother of grandmother ( mother side ) is cousin of Adam Mickiewicz and she had same surname.

After they met in Minsk city, Two cousins of Adam Mickiewicz married to two cousins men from Azerbaijan ( i think there was internal war or similar problem with Russia in that time ) and after their marriage they converted to Islam and moved to Azerbaijan .  We know   Name of first cousin is Eva Kazakecih ,after converting to Islam, her name converted to HAVVA ( Havva muslim version of Eva )

But my wife generation came from other cousin, we do not know her first name but we are sure her last name was Mickiewicz, after converting to Islam, her name converted to Halime. Halime met with her husband ( Vahid Efendiyev)  in Minsk city then moved to Azerbaijan ( Probably Sheki city ) but after a while husband arrested and put into prisonerhome and died there because he and his brother (Abid Efendiyev Mamed Oglu ) were businessmen at that time and after Soviet revolution the government wanted to nationalize all but Vahid Efendiyev rejected to give his Money. But his brother moved together with government and was an active member of Bolshevik forces.

Then Halime and all children exiled to Kazakhstan because of his husbands anti communist behaviours ( sent to death  but they came back to Azerbaijan later with health, probably at last times of Stalin ) but only one child was exempted from the exiling to Kazakhstan ( Her name was Aziza ) because Uncle father side  ( Abid Efendiyev Mamed Oglu 1878-1946 ) of Aziza adopted her to save life of his niece and used his permeation and force at government .

You can see at attachment some pages from a book where his life is told, he was considered as a good Soviet citizen by government because of the reasons I told above. We get the original book at my wifes home in Baku.

Aziza had two daughters Leman and Pike. Leman is grandmother of my wife ( Nigar ). Leman remembers very well singing of her grandmothers and reading poetries in Jew ( or Yiddish ) language and her talkings with Jew neighbours in Baku city. Leman was willing to learn past of her family but always blocked by her mother and grandmother because during Soviet time, searching of ethnical or religious things were dangerous and can get bad reaction by government.  Halime and Aziza did not tell details about their Jew roots. So Leman wanted to search independently and decided to start from her grandmothers ( Halime ) marriage but could not find any document at Minsk archives, the officers claimed that all documents were destroyed because of a big burn. Of course she did not believe but could do nothing  as well.

But now we want to know the details of reality and want help from you.
The main problem is to find someone in Minsk city to get the marriage document to learn details of Mrs. Halime.
I would be grateful if you can Show us a way to end our search.

Best regards

Ismail Gundogar

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna

I don't know if this will reach you after four years. I am currently looking at Kazakevich families as I think I may be descended from one a long time ago.

I can let you know about some people with that name who were also from Novozybkov and who settled in New York. Send me a message if you are still interested

It might help you to have your DNA tested - that often helps to link dispersed families back together.

Best wishes, Louise
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams