Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57173 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #279 on: Friday 06 February 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Yes agree, but how to fill the gap between 1912 and 1977 ? WW1 would be first search, but can find nothing for him in Army or Navy, if due to his religious upbringing, he was a conscientious
objector, that might be a possible or since we know that he was a warehouseman ( on Ships Stores), maybe he went in the Merchant Navy ?
After searching through hundreds of Duncan Wilsons, I did at least find that in fact, with only one first name, there are not so many after all, however, only marriages seem to be late for him?
1. Sept 1928 an Edith.A.Smith in Prescot 8b 1484
2. Sept 1931 an Ellen Lee in Croydon 2a 1338
3.  1942 Deborah Tannenbaum               3b 1013

Then see that a Duncan Wilson left Southampton on the 13th May 1954 aboard the 'Queen Elizabeth' ( tourist class with two bits of luggage) and landed in New York 18th May - note immigration  ( No. maybe passport ?) V 71883.

Best

John

p.s. Since he would have been Tammy's Great Grandson ( from her Granddaughter Louisa), I feel I should keep searching - but where?
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

I don't see any other way except starting from the ends, from what you already know, and slogging it towards the middle.

The 1883 birth certificate will tell you if the 1977 death is your DW.

The 1977 death certificate will give you an addresss, probably an occupation, cause of death and name of informant.

From the address at death you can probably suss out whether it was a private home, a hospital, a care home, an asylum etc. Google Earth will help too if the building still exists. If a private home, then Northumberland Archives may have rates books etc.

The name of the informant may give a clue.

Try tracing the subsequent lives of the stepmother and stepbrother. Ancestry.ca has a free W/E for British records on now, Feb. 6 - 8. You have to register for a free account to use it.

Try the younger generation of Beaulieus - someone may have the ancient photo album.

Try the Presbyterian churches nearabouts to the address at death. Since DW was raised Presbyterian, he may have continued in that affiliation.

Erm ... you've probably thought of all these already. And, ... when all else fails ... keep faith in chance. Someone else may find your threads here at RootsChat years from now and try to contact you. LUCK plays a bigger part in research than most people acknowledge. I apologize that I can't be more useful.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, John,

Here's what I mean about LUCK. Whenever I'm signed in here, I skim the recent threads in the Durham and Northumberland sites. Have a look at this Good News! thread below esp. reply #10 which identifies two Morpeth care homes.

The topic was originally started in August 2008. Out of the blue, nearly seven years later, the poster got masses of accurate information.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=321110.0

"Hope springs eternal."

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Saturday 14 February 15 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Thanks for goodies on 'Goodsir' ( great help when building a picture ) and on Duncan - though am not sure he would have gone back to Morpeth, as last that I had was that he was living in Jesmond.

Sorry for late reply -( due to medical problems !! ) - so this is what old age is all about (wry smile ),
and of course missed the chance of a lifetime - of free 'Ancestors' !

Thanks again

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Thursday 26 February 15 15:31 GMT (UK) »
               Semi conclusion to the history of ‘Tillman Family’ of Sunderland.
Having at last found that Louisa’s Duncan did live on, I think it might be time to summarise and move on to London and my 2 x Great Grandfather George Tillman 1805 – 1882 ( Older brother of John b.1811).

In 1821 widowed Tammy married her daughter Orf, , to Henry Ellington ( Mate of the ‘Seaflower’ ) our George was most likely already an apprentice Carriage Lamp Maker in London and  daughter Thomasine, had gone north  with Henry to live in Sunderland.

By 1822 this left Tammy with an eleven year old John, who she took with her to Scarborough when in that year she married Widower Thomas Goodsir - Captain of the Brig ‘Transfer’, and owner of five children.

John, who like his brother and sister, was born in Lympstone,  Nr Exmouth, S. Devon, and was to become the founder of the ‘ Tillman Family of Sunderland’ at the age of 14  he joined his first ship the ‘Fenwick’ as an Apprentice in Sunderland. John in 1934 married Margaret Tullick ( one of the witnesses was his sister Thomasine ). - Captain John died at Sulina on his ship ‘ Royal Arch’ in 1868.

The ‘Tillman Family of Sunderland’ truly started in 1836, when John Tillman (a future Architect of Sunderland ) was born, Margaret went on to have six children, as far as can be seen, of these, four made it through to adulthood – the Two Architects John and younger brother by sixteen years, Thomas, neither married as far as can be seen and therefore ,we assume no Tillman offspring. However there were also two daughters Mary Isabella b. 1841 and Louisa b. 1844.

Mary married William Turnbull in 1862, and in 1863 Mary had her little lamb and named her Dorothy, unfortunately William died on the 1st September 1873, Aged only 34 yrs.
In 1890 John ( the Architect)  quote “ The Bride was given away by her Uncle Mr John Tillman, of Clifton Villas” – saw Dorothy married to Lewis John Jillings of Norfolk

Dorothy & Lewis had a son  Ronald b. 1897 - killed in WWI  19th Aug 1916 at Ypres, and two daughters – Doris May b. 1894, who in 1920 married Charles .L. Beaulieu and produced at least six children ( Audrey.A. being born the same year as I ). Second daughter
Gwendoline b. 1899 married Henry.M.Cornish, in 1921, but no further trace.

Finally Louisa, in 1880 married the Rev Alan Wilson, their little lamb – Madge – died suddenly in 1890, aged only seven yrs, followed later in that year by Louisa herself.
However their son Duncan b. Dec 1883, kept going  for 93 years through till 1977, I am sorry I never met him. In 1920 he married Jessie Wilson (a second cousin) in Glasgow.
Jessie had a son Alan b. 1921 in Glasgow, and a daughter Jessie Tilman Wilson b. 1925 in Newcastle. Sadly Alan was killed in 1939 while serving with the RAF in Bomber command..
Young Jessie, I believe went on to marry Frank Rogers and produce an Alan Rogers.

So to London forum? and ‘The Lympstone Lad who Lit the London Hackney Cabs’ though not sure, as some went to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and George’s daughter Lavinia married an Angas  and ended up in Sunderland !!!

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Two major brickwalls that I have NOT been able to work thru ( though I had good rootschat help ) are

1. What happened to Thomasin's Husband - Henry Ellington, because by the 1841 Census - Thomasin, had become Thomasin Wilkinson ( and so far have not found a marriage), in 1834 at her brother's wedding, she still was under the name of Ellington.

2. Concerns two of Thomasin's children - see " Two Chippies and a brickwall or what happened to Mabel and Mary" and of course their children, if they existed.

Any thoughts please

Best

John