Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57172 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 18 July 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Have just had a reply to my question on  possible The burial for Thomas  Goodsir at St Mary Whitby 14th June 1831- which on transcription from original on to Micro film shows as Goodsill. Only info they could give was : abode :- Shipyard ?

Hello John,

I don't quite understand the above. "transcription from original on to Micro film"? If the parish register was microfilmed, you'd have a true copy, not a transcription. Did your helper send you the actual image or his/her reading of the image i.e. transcription? I think 'Goodsill' would be an easy misreading of 'Goodsir', so you are probably right on the money with this one, but I'd be wanting to look at the original. You don't have a Mormon History Library anywhere near you, but I do. If you can't get the actual image, I'd be willing to order the fim and capture it for you - the rental isn't much - but I couldn't do it before September. However, in the interim, perhaps a request placed on RootsChat Yorkshire would get you the actual image by email.

Cheers,
Westoe

P.S. Reading Google News UK this morning, I see that 650 deaths in England alone are now attributed to the current heat wave.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately have now found the answer for Puzzle I had on Post 33 - I say unfortunately because in fact it was David Goodsir's Grandson, from his second son Thomas :

Having checked his birth cert, which was given to Thomas & Septina , living at that time at 26, Morton Street Westoe, working as a Blacksmith, before moving to Cleveland Street
To make things worse it would appear that the newly born was named in memory of Thomas’s brother, who had died three years before he was born.

William Henry                   b.   8th Jan    1878           d. 4th May 1880

“ Yesterday a painful accident which terminated Fatally, occurred  in Mile End Road South Shields. It appears that a child named William Henry Goodsir 2 1/2 years of age, whose parents reside in Cleveland Street, was run over by a trolley belonging to North Eastern Railway Company. The child was dreadfully injured, both his legs being broken and very much Lacerated. He was attended by Dr Bootiman and afterwards conveyed to Ingham Infirmary but he expired about an hour after being received in to that Institution.”
South Shields Gazette Weds 5th May 1880.

Just updating

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Hurrah! One puzzle solved, but (smile) like a 'many-headed hydra' another half-dozen or so will spring to life. That was sad about the child; he must have suffered terribly in that hour. Sometimes I just have to 'down tools' on this family history business and work at something else for a while.  I start identifying too closely with my ancient rellies and all the death and destruction gets to me. Were you following the news coverage on the wreck and sinking of the three-masted sail training ship ASTRID off Kinsale Harbour, Co. Cork a few days ago? Luckily it was daylight and the lifesavers had all mod cons. All aboard were got off alive, but there were colour photographs and video of the rescue effort and the sinking and it brought all my lost mariners very vividly to mind.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe
Agree with your feelings, can be very hard, spent previous two years on my wife's Huguenots and their many sad stories.
On the 1911 Census Septina ( the poor lad's mother) said she had had 12 Children and at that point only 4 were still living.
Had not heard about the 'Astrid' at here, all news has been on bad rail & coach crashes, also heat wave,though we had a  very heavy storm the other day, which made me look for your cellar (smile).
Put request on N.Yorkshire and got a reply as to the fact that 'Shipyard ' is an address on outskirts of Whitby, but no more than that, so I think I have found all possible on 'Goodsirs' ( my step Ancestors  - if such a thing exist ? ).
So as no Goodsirs have appeared on the post, think will concentrate on the Ellingtons now, and when you can, could you give me the continuation of Jnr's ships please.

Very Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again Westoe

Sorry - being well brought up like I forgot to ask for more !
But I will now as I am sure you above anyone will have the answer :

Question: where on the net would I find a good map for the South Shields of David's epoch
please ?

Reason : as I have come across so many addresses that the family have been in, would like to be able to pin point - know some are in Westoe district, but not all.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Question: where on the net would I find a good map for the South Shields of David's epoch please ?

Hello John,

Thank you for the compliment. I don't have that information to hand, but I can tell you a way to find it.

There is a fellow named Stan Mapstone who posts a lot here on RootsChat often answering exactly this type of question. He posts links to websites with historical maps. Indeed, if the questioner has also posted the name of the street, Stan Mapstone frequently includes the exact co-ordinates to look for.

So.... search for a post anywhere by him, click on his profile and run down his list of posts. I'm sure you'll find what you want.

No, I haven't forgotten about Henry jr's ships. Just not easy to get into the library to check Ancestry and with only three public terminnals, there is often a waiting line. But, never fear, I will get it for you.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Westoe

Knew I had asked the right person, will do as you say and search that way, if I can get what I am after will keep you current.

Just had a look at the ' Astrid ' video, not that heavy a sea, no one said how it happened ?

Having written up ( in my usual weird way) an account of David's family - as far as I have them I am wondering whether to include it on this post, for interest of anybody searching 'Goodsirs' in the future or not - what do you think?

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the ' Astrid ' video, not that heavy a sea, no one said how it happened ?

Sea not too heavy but wind was Force 6, I think. They were close to the rocks and barepoled, then the engine failed and they were blown onto the rocks.

Having written up ( in my usual weird way) an account of David's family - as far as I have them I am wondering whether to include it on this post, for interest of anybody searching 'Goodsirs' in the future or not - what do you think?

Generous thought. A lot of typing tho'. I think that anyone searching for Goodsir-s would find your threads and read all start to finish, and then have the option of PM-ing you or posting in the thread any request for more.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again Westoe

First nasty position to be, had that situation ( without the bare poles of course ) once out of Limerick, but nice Engineer man got us going just in time.

Second - my wrist says - Thank you !

Best

John