Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57198 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Did you find your map? Here is one of the sites that Stan Mapstone advises:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Also some old maps and town plans of South Shields here:
http://lewis.dur.ac.uk/pip/place1.asp

And....  skimming hrough his posts, I happened on this list of yards in Whitby.
 http://mdfs.net/Docs/Books/YofWhitby/YardList
The earliest source given is an 1828 map coded as 'JW'. Well, searching that list for 'JW' brings up a lot of hits, which means a lot of possible places for the late Thomas Goodsir/Goodsill to have abided.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Morning Westoe

Thanks for South Shield info, in fact I PM'd Stan and he sent Me two sites by return,one by South Shields where you could transpose, new maps on old, but have not had time to look up yet. After the Henry Ellington, crews list ( which FMD instantly re-credited, and said their Data team would check out ) have not searched others, out of interest does crew mean everybody on the vessel at that time, including Capt,Mate, Cook, and engineers (on later ships) ?

In my dotage, it seems to me, unless once again I am missing something ??? That any master who died or stopped seagoing before 1840 , is untraceable except on odd entries in Newspapers and sometimes (only) on Lloyd's list ?

To use the terminology of the time a have been ' Press Ganged ' into re-researching Huguenots in their ancient habitats around France, so will be absent for a few days.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Yes, master, mate and cook are listed. I expect engineers are too - I just have never bought one for a steam vessel.

I think that I have sent you this link before:
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlistforms_new.php#f1

The images are small, but for example if you click on the thumbnail image for F1/F2, you can make out, about 2/3rds of the way across, the column with ranks listed. On this one I see master, mate, 2nd mate, carpenter, steward, cook and AB.

Masters before 1840 - erm ... well ... also
 - old books, incl. and esp. autobiographies of mariners contemporary with yours
 - archives of shipping companies (like the Michael Henley papers at NMM),
 - National Archives files e.g. Muster Rolls (BT 98)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-shipping-crewlists-agreements-1747-1860.htm
(See? I wasn't joking yesterday when I wrote that eventually you would be going there. Problem is, they are not filed in any particular order so will be a long slog to find what you want.)
 - local archives files
 - Trinity House records etc.

It's just that the "biggies" like Lloyd's Captains Registers and Lloyd's List are the easiest and most accessible. However, merchant shipping records seem to have become popular with the pay sites. What's available currently on Ancestry and FindMyPast have been added only recently and we can but hope that they soon add more.

Good luck with your Huguenots.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again, John,

Further to my last, I've been trawling the catalogue at Tyne and Wear Archives. Have a look at this mouth-watering entry.

Code: 541    

Description: records relating to Newcastle Corporation shipping dues and dumping ballast comprising 1-3, 9-11, ledgers arranged by ship, 1811-59; 4-5, ledgers arranged by owners, 1762-1828; 6-8, ledgers arranged by port, 1715-30; 12-20, shipping books, 1748- 1835; 21-4, dues books, 1801-34; 25-33, ballast and tonnage books, 1771-1829; 34-5, corn books, 1787-1827; 36, quay dues book, 1809-13; 37, cargoes ledger, 1846-55; 38, orders to load and unload on the Tyne other than at Newcastle, 1830-43; 39, register of steam boats, 1839-58

Date: 1715 - 1859

Keywords: levies duties

What do you bet that you would find nuggets about Goodsir and TRANSFER here?

Yes, I know that it says "Newcastle Corporation", but for years and years and years, Newcastle was the only *official* port on the Tyne and controlled all the shipping - a cause for much local dissension and brouhaha. Shields did not officially become a port until 1840's.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe
Thanks for that lot, just back from Tournai and a visit round what was left of the old Citedal where a lot of the Huguenots managed to escape to, on their way to England, or where they went to get married.
The main part had been blown to pieces, but two subterranean levels still ( thanks to the friends of the Citedal ) have been partially restored, very interesting Historical guided tour, by one of the friends, who knew a lot, and was very clear ( though in French ).
Is the Newcastle info avialiable on line and how exactly do you get at it, did try, but am going wrong somewhere I think.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Is the Newcastle info avialiable on line and how exactly do you get at it, did try, but am going wrong somewhere I think.

Hello John,

Tournai sounds fascinating, and even in a 'canicule', touring subterranean levels wouldn't be uncomfortable.

The Newcastle stuff - No, it's not online. You'd have to go there. I put that in partly as an example of looking in local archives for information on masters pre-1840 as per your last post, and partly (very big smile) I'm trying to entice you into a trip north. Mischevious of me and I do apologize.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 15 August 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe of the wicked smile !!

Thanks ! would like to but railways about to increase fares, by 4.5% and B& B also seem to be rather high, however will search to see if I can find decent priced B&B in either Shields or Sunderland area for September, as it seems the only way to see goodies (as stuffed under my nose by Westoe).
Here is a site which you might not have, but that I found when doing a follow-up on Thomasine's daughter ( Mrs. Lavinia Thomasin Tillman Ellington Wilson - to give her full title - bet she blessed her mother for that one!!).
Now this came about, as being a 'Southerner' and not having a Visa to go North of the Staithes in Blyth, when I found that she went to live in 'Spittal' and then Chirton, I was lost - so searching british- history, I came across  Samuel Lewis's '1848 Topographical accounts of places & counties in England and it is a real eye opener for places at that epoch.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=445

Thanks for the smile

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 16 August 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks ! would like to but railways about to increase fares, by 4.5% and B& B also seem to be rather high, however will search to see if I can find decent priced B&B in either Shields or Sunderland area for September, as it seems the only way to see goodies (as stuffed under my nose by Westoe).
Erm ... maybe best wait for another trip ...I try to help out on other forums too ...if I get someone who lives near TWAS offering reciprocity, I'll ask him/her to do a 'recon' for us on that file. Better to know in advance how massive those volumes are and whether there are any restrictions on viewing them.

Here is a site which you might not have, but that I found when doing a follow-up on Thomasine's daughter ( Mrs. Lavinia Thomasin Tillman Ellington Wilson - to give her full title - bet she blessed her mother for that one!!).

Even if Lavinia didn't, I'm sure you do - smile. Unusual  names are so very helpful - much easier than hunting for a David Jones or Ann Smith.

I'll PM you later with request for LMA - signal keeps fading in and out right now.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 16 August 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yes would never have found any of them without Thomasine's brilliant thoughts, bless her.

Will await with baited breath and fuzzy logic your PM - I found as much interest on Ralphy last time
, as on hunting my own - all part of the learning process.

Best

John