Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57014 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

What are the odds of two different master mariners named Silas Angas? That's right - Angas with two 'a's. When was your fellow afloat? I've just come across a reference to a Silas Angas being master circa 1845 of 257 ton CHARLES RICHARD.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Whoopee !
Reckon this is also ours, having in the past contacted the 'Joplin's site' which has a comprehensive account of Angas tree, the only other Silas appears to have been this one's son (who was a Tailor, then ran a Pub - then off to New Zealand ind 1917, into Army reserve , out and continued tailoring,)had Two sons and two daughters.

Now to go back a bit Thomasine (as married off by Tammy ! ) had a Brother George (A Carriage Lamp Maker, living in London ) This George's wife (Elizabeth Lerway ) in 1838 gave birth to yet another Lavinia, who in 1867 married William Angas ( son of Silas Angas - Master Mariner, and at that time the family were living in the Trinity Houses in Deptford).
Son William was into selling Ironmongery, so can maybe, be assumed that he met Lavinia while selling to her Dad ?
Anyway after the wedding all the family went back to the North ( Sunderland) where for a time they were running the 'Bath Hotel' in Moor Street Bishopwearmouth.

I had not yet started on old Silas's sea career, so that will be a helpful one. The old man was born in 1787, and died in 1876 aged 89 - must have been the Deptford air to last that long !!!!!!!!

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 23 August 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe
Continuing the story of Old Angas, by 1861 he appears to be retired and aged 74 living in the Trinity Almshouses in Lower Trinity Ground ( Next to St Nicholas Church - which still stands ) Near Deptford Creek (London) with his family.
Other ex Master Mariners or widows, included :
John Norwood age 65, his wife Phoebe and family.
William Watts age 65, his wife Jane, and family.
Jane Robinson age 78 (Widow ) and family.
George Champion age 65, with Wife Jane & family.
Mary Tripp age 66 (Widow).
John Hobbs age 66 & wife Annetta.
George HIgton age 78 (Widower)
 St Nicholas still know as a seafarer's church and well worth a visit if anyone reading is in the area.

Deptford has an amazing amount of Maritime history, most now in danger of disappearing for good with the aid of Developers !!

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Yet another one I can't get to grips with !

Between 1805 and 1810 'Old' Silas Angas was apprentice on the 275T 'Doris' from Sunderland,okay, but then he has down as ' What Trade' - was appears to be Transfer Larvac - any ideas?

Then again between 1813 and 1827, while Master on the 'Adamant' 200T also Sunderland, we have, what appears to be Transport & Baltic - Baltic, ok but Transporting what ?

Last one 'Charles Richard' he has just put in Commerce.

By 1850 he was 63yrs old and already had 46yrs in the Merchant Service - maybe he was just a bit
'------' off by having to fill in forms, what do you think ?

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
... Between 1805 and 1810 'Old' Silas Angas was apprentice on the 275T 'Doris' from Sunderland,okay, but then he has down as ' What Trade' - was appears to be Transfer Larvac - any ideas?

Erm ... Because I didn't keep copies of the images, I can't right now look at what you are seeing. I will look that up again, but not until next week - long holiday W/E started here today and library closed a few days.

Then again between 1813 and 1827, while Master on the 'Adamant' 200T also Sunderland, we have, what appears to be Transport & Baltic - Baltic, ok but Transporting what ?

"Transport" in shipping usually has a military context i.e. chartered by the Admiralty to  transport troops, horses or supplies. Is it significant that he put the words in that order? Did he mean that early in that period c. 1813 ADAMANT was a transport and then she went back into Baltic trade? If so, there are several reasons for needing transports in 1813, a Canadian one being to bring home troops from "The War of 1812". Again, I will take a look at the original when I can.

Last one 'Charles Richard' he has just put in Commerce.

By 1850 he was 63yrs old and already had 46yrs in the Merchant Service - maybe he was just a bit
'------' off by having to fill in forms, what do you think ?

That sounds quite reasonable. Or, perhaps CHARLES RICHARD had such varied cargoes and travelled such varied routes that "Commerce" was the simplest common denominator to put in the space. You won't know that until you've tracked her voyages.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 30 August 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

P.S. an example to your last re 'transports'. The Crimean War (mid 1850's) had a massive effect on merchant shipping. The Admiralty not only chartered walloping numbers of vessels for transport, but the Army kept those vessels tied up for months by not unloading the stores but keeping the ships hanging around as floating warehouses.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Knew you would be able to put me right.

Do you call them bank holidays over there, or have you another name for long weekend break - either way have a good one  - and no running up and down that long Hot hill.

BEST

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
... Now to go back a bit Thomasine (as married off by Tammy ! ) had a Brother George (A Carriage Lamp Maker, living in London ) This George's wife (Elizabeth Lerway ) in 1838 gave birth to yet another Lavinia, who in 1867 married William Angas ( son of Silas Angas - Master Mariner, and at that time the family were living in the Trinity Houses in Deptford).
Son William was into selling Ironmongery, so can maybe, be assumed that he met Lavinia while selling to her Dad ?

Hello John,

Or .... maybe William was just the boy-next-door. From their marriage entry, she lived at #3 Prospect Terrace and he lived at #5. More later.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

I've had a look at Silas' Record of Service.

For DORIS, I read either "Transport an [and] var [various]" or "Transpor [Transport] Sarvas [Service]".

For CHARLES RICHARD, I think that is "America" again, not "Commerce".

Remember that spelling was erratic then even in people who'd had some schooling. Look how he spells Baltic three different ways on this list - Baltic, Baltec and Baltick, so why not America as Amirica and Ammirica?

And I think the sixth vessel named is HAMPSHIRE rather than HAMPSHIN.

Some Lavinia bits are coming by email.

Cheers,
Westoe