Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57013 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #45 on: Friday 12 July 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

No luck on HGE Sr. in that database.

Three entries for HGE Jr., Certificate # 22,042.

In 1860, he was living at 4 Minorca Place, Sunderland.
He got his 2nd Mate on 17 March 1860 in Sunderland, and ten days later on 27 March passed his Only Mate exam.

On 6 April, 1865, he was living at 45 Northumberland Street, Sunderland when he passed his Master's exam.

He changed ships frequently - too many to write out today. Here's a few.

He apprenticed 19 September 1843 to 19 September 1847 on ANENOME of Sunderland.

CAROLINE of Sunderland

PATHFINDER of ditto

ESSAY of ditto

ANENOME of London (This could be his first ship again sold out of Sunderland registry)

ENDEAVOUR of Sunderland

SAMUEL & SARAH of ditto

EMPLOY of ditto

VINE of ditto

J W COLLINGWOOD of ditto

CALDER of ditto

AUCKLAND of ditto

THORNLEY of ditto

RUBY of ditto

THETIS of ditto

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 12 July 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Morning Westoe

And thanks - hope the steep long hill had cooled down a bit, here we are in a wide type river valley, so no hills to climb, but the valley holds the temperature high and humid.

First back to David and the Finns - one of the entries states that the cargo was 437 Tons of Coal, and we have the ship down as 297 Tons - if she was built in 1854, then I suppose the ship's tonnage rating would come under the Moorsom System, which I understand was brought into being in 1849 ?

Ellington Jnr it appears was a busy man then, looking forward to full details ,when you have time, also have found an entry, for (I think him) with a cert No. of 37890 - dates between 1845-54.

Pity about his old man though I think some of the ships I found, on B.N. must have been his, a cert his son is too young to be on any of those.

Must keep taking the tablets and hugging the shade.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 15 July 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
First back to David and the Finns - one of the entries states that the cargo was 437 Tons of Coal, and we have the ship down as 297 Tons - if she was built in 1854, then I suppose the ship's tonnage rating would come under the Moorsom System, which I understand was brought into being in 1849?

Is that from the Finnish newspapers about David on BLACK SWAN? It could be a combination of old measurement and new measurement or it could be just a typo.

Ellington Jnr it appears was a busy man then, looking forward to full details ,when you have time, also have found an entry, for (I think him) with a cert No. of 37890 - dates between 1845-54.

Erm ... are you sure that is a certicate number? It predates the ones I found for him and I don't think the numbers under the 'Voluntary' scheme (1845-1850 before certification became compulsory) ever got that high. I'm thinking that 37,890 was more likely his Seaman's Register Ticket number. Think of it as two separate registration plans -  one for the officers and a different one for the men.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 15 July 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Yes, David and Black Swan - think first is right as Finns are usually correct.

Young Ellington is nearly as big a problem as father !! The info was from FindMyPast on Entry BT114/7 and he is in first col at bottom of page, there are no other dates or info,except he is from Sunderland.

On his ships am not getting far on Clip :

Have a 'Caroline' 2688 built 1855 Sail 370T  - but isn't that too early.

' Essay - sail Brigantine 191 t  owned by Stokes of Seaham J.S.T.B.  but again 1856 too early ?

BEST

JOHN
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 15 July 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
Continuation :
 27502 'Endeavor'  Shields ? sail 273T James Wood of Blyth owner.

3648 'Employ'  1854 London  - sail 278T

2620  'Vine' 1853 Sunderland  - sail 259T

2477  'J.W.COLLINGWOOD' Sunderland STEAM  10t       Sounds more like a Tug ?

2812 ' Thornley' Sunderland -sail 241T

2986   'Ruby'   Sunderland 1832 Sail 189T

2799  'Thetis'  Sunderland 1852 sail 218T   H.Q.P.M

I think !!!!!!!!!!!

For Dad's Ships, found two possible 'Rising Suns'  7641 REG Shields or since he seemed to run Sunderland to Southampton most times 6058 REG Southampton but nothing else.

Now put your money on - that I have got it wrong again !!!

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 15 July 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Young Ellington is nearly as big a problem as father !! The info was from FindMyPast on Entry BT114/7 and he is in first col at bottom of page, there are no other dates or info,except he is from Sunderland

Aha! Here is the description from National Archives Discovery catalogue of BT 114 (bolding is mine).

Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Alphabetical Index to Registers of Seamen's Tickets

Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Alphabetical Index to Registers of Seamen's Tickets. This series contains the alphabetical index to the Registers of Seamen's Tickets in BT 113 which was kept by the General Registry and Record Office of Seamen.

So, not a certificate number.

More in a few days if this weather breaks. Just too too hot and sultry to have the energy to do anything.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Westoe

That has sorted that one.

At my age, well 'Hot and Sultry' is a thing I used to dream about.

Now - Just keep cool Man!!!

Hear from you later

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 18 July 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
Young Ellington is nearly as big a problem as father !! The info was from FindMyPast on Entry BT114/7 and he is in first col at bottom of page, there are no other dates or info,except he is from Sunderland

Hello John,

Another brutal day, so to try and take my mind off the heat and humidity, here's a bit more on the same subject as last message. Am I correct that when you found the bit quoted above, you had bought a few credits for FindMyPast? If you want to look there again, there should have been a corresponding entry in BT 113, the numerically-ordered register of seamens' tickets which would have given you more information on HGE jr. - date and place of birth, date of first going to sea, hair colour, eye colour, complexion, distinguishing marks etc.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 18 July 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Yes will look into that one 32° me and computer !!

Have just had a reply to my question on  possible The burial for Thomas  Goodsir at St Mary Whitby 14th June 1831- which on transcription from original on to Micro film shows as Goodsill. Only info they could give was : abode :- Shipyard ?

Have search everwhere and above seems the only possible, due to my 'fuzzy' logic that follows /

Facts: Baines  1823 directory for Scarborough ( under Master Mariners col.) Goodsir Thomas living at Long Greece.

When Tammy arrived in 1822 there existed five children from Thomas's previous marriage to Mary Ann Harrison ( daughter of JOHN- Master Mariner and shipowner - Sunderland)

Surmise on facts: Two reasons make me believe that they continued to live in that area, the first being that the youngest three children were only 1yr, 4yr, & 6 yrs old. - The second being that when David (b.1816 at sea ) started his apprenticeship it was in 1828 at the age of 12 and on a Harrison ship registered in Scarborough. Oh and there is a third - on 3rd Dec 1829 THOMAS's ship 'Eleanor' was run down and sunk be a collier going North ( this in a position - 10 miles North of Whitby) -now they were in fact picked up by the'Beaumont' of Stockport (on route to Shields)

If they where living in Sunderland ( where wife Tammy Died in 1834 ) then I think Beaumont's Skipper would have taken them North _ but in fact he landed them in the port of Staithes ( just N; of Whitby ).

Thomas did several trips as Capt of 'Brothers' - his last at the end of 1830, which points to him dying in 1831.

Two reasons why we find Tammy in Sunderland in 1834, are one the Children's Grandparents lived there, and would help support, secondly Tammy's Daughter ( Who she married Orf ) lived there with Husband Ellington.

If it is Thomas Goodsir and not Goodsill how can one be sure, or how can records be but right ??

Note. Have searched and can find no others in the area with the name of GOODSILL!

End of Fuzzy logic for today  folks - but would appreciated any comments or suggestions.

Best and over heating !!!

John