Author Topic: Harris Shindler  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harris Shindler
« on: Monday 03 June 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
I have been contacted by a metal detectorist who found a WW1 silver war badge at Eaglesham. It  apparently belonged to a Private Harris Shindler of the Scottish Rifles.

It would be good if we could find his family so that we could possibly return this badge to them.

I have subsequently found that Harris Shindler was born in Russia in 1877 and, before coming to Britain, served for three years in the Russian Army. He worked as a Shoemaker, lived at 326 Govan Street, Glasgow and enlisted at Bath Street, Glasgow on 25 October 1916. His wife was Sarah, also Russian, and their children were Morris, born Russia on 28 April 1901; Max, born London on 15 November 1906; Philip, born Glasgow on 10 May 1908; Michael, born Partick on 13 May 1910; Hymon, born Whitechapel on 24 July 1912; Rachel, born Glasgow on 25 February 1915. He was discharged on 7 August 1918 at Eastbourne Military Hospital suffering from TB and Pleurisy. I believe there was a convalescent hospital at Eaglesham, so that may be why the medal was found in that locality.

May be a longshot, but some descendants my be around.

Any suggesions much appreciated.

Offline susan hemmings

• RootsChat Senior
  • On my Dad's hand - I live in England
    • View Profile
Re: Harris Shindler
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello CB

I have had a headache on and off all morning scouring for any info on this chap and hus family.  I have been across thr atlantic and back.!

I found his pension records on A*****stry - not sure if this is where you got your information from.  I note that one of the pages states "MAN DIED 24.4.1919".

I have failed miserably to find a death for him anywhere.   :(

I have noted his childrens names and dates of birth.  Also noted from my scouring who their marriage partners may be.

Will keep on digging as this is a subject close to my heart (relatives being reunited with medals).  It could be he was so disillusioned with his lot in the war and coming home to the state of unemployment and being ill to boot he could well have slung it away.  No telling. 

For now

Susan
Bedfordshire:     Church, Brooks
Essex (Great Bardfield):   Woolard
Hertfordshire:  Day, Johnson
Kent:   Church, Bristow, Day, Pharo, Oliver, Green
London:   Brinsley, Gillbe, Dawson, Gash
Northampton:   Pharo, Ilett
Suffolk:   Day, Munnings
Yorkshire:  Oliver, Hall, Richardson

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
I missed the note about his (presumably) death in 1919. With the conditions he had it is not surprising. There is a Sarah Schindler of the right age going to Australia in 1937 so maybe a child or children went there. I have also contacted the Jewish Telegraph which I am told gets a lot of messages of this nature.

I hope your head is better!!

Alistair

Offline susan hemmings

• RootsChat Senior
  • On my Dad's hand - I live in England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
Will follow lead about Sarah up.  Also going to keep going.  Head is fine,  it's the brain that's whirring!!
Great idea the Jewish Telegraph.  I do hope the family can get the SWB back. Makes it all very worthwhile.

Be in touch Alistair

Susan
Bedfordshire:     Church, Brooks
Essex (Great Bardfield):   Woolard
Hertfordshire:  Day, Johnson
Kent:   Church, Bristow, Day, Pharo, Oliver, Green
London:   Brinsley, Gillbe, Dawson, Gash
Northampton:   Pharo, Ilett
Suffolk:   Day, Munnings
Yorkshire:  Oliver, Hall, Richardson

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the death certificate of a Sarah Shindler who died in Glasgow in 1951? She was aged 68 & other names are Greenberg & Abrahams. Hopefully, if she's the correct one, there will be a headstone somewhere with details of Harris:)
Hope this helps,
flst

TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

From here www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=48647&p=435161 - two things:

From one of the last posts yesterday evening they look to have found descendants?

Also, they talk abour Harris Shindler having been Church of Scotland and not Jewish.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
You are bound to have found this now following Susan's info, Harris Shindler's death showing on SP for 1919, matching details on his pension records it would seem.

Monica

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
From here www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=48647&p=435161 - two things:

From one of the last posts yesterday evening, they look to have found descendants?

Also, they talk abour Harris Shindler having been Church of Scotland and not Jewish.

Hi Monica

I have some doubts about the Church of Scotland suggestion. He did not leave Russia until 1901 or even later, so would have been about 24 when he got to Britain and then lived first in London befor moving to Glasgow. I think it is most unlikeley that he would have ceased to adhere to the Jewish faith.

Regards

Alistair

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Certainly the names and history point to the Jewish faith.

flts' mention of a death for wife Sarah I think looks promising. There is a marriage showing in Glasgow in 1922 for a Sarah SCHINDLER or ABRAHAMS to a GREENBERG, which looks a good possibility for Harris' widow remarrying after his 1919 death.

Monica