Author Topic: George Thomas Harris b1848 London Occ Baker, confectioner, d1920 NZ Kiwi quest  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Thomas Harris b1848 London Occ Baker, confectioner, d1920 NZ Kiwi quest
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Ian c you are brilliant. I had so much of this info about George and Harriett and "some" of their children but didnt know how to place it. Thank you so much.  :)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Thomas Harris b1848 London Occ Baker, confectioner, d1920 NZ Kiwi quest
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
1871 - RG10/611/59/15
67 Sun?? St, St Mary Newington
George HARRIS, head mar 22, Baker, born Surrey, Lambeth
Harriett HARRIS, wife mar 22, Brush drawer, born Surrey, Southwark
Harriett HARRIS, dau 4, born ditto

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Shipping list for Harriet and the kids

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ue7/

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,Ciderdrinker here.
Sorry not to get back to you.The 1864 marriage at St' John's for George Thomas Harris and Harriet Gardiner is on Ancestry.It does say he's a baker but both George Harriss and Thomas his father do have Ingle at the end of their name-on the line below.
I do think Keyboard 86 is right and George's stepfather may be Thomas Ingle painter ,not his actual biological father.And there is that sister A.F. Ingle mentioned in the newspaper.
Will have a dig around.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 00:14 BST (UK) »
 Thank you this is marvellous

:)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again, if the Mary Ann on 1851/61 is the correct mother of George, would still like to know which Harris, she was married to and when, also I at present cannot locate an A F Ingle's?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 01:31 BST (UK) »
MARRIAGES.
HARRIS— GARDINER.— On the 13th June,  1864. at Waterloo Church, London, George Thomas Harris, third son of the late William Harris, London, to Harriett Maria, second daughter of the late Edward George Gardiner, London. (Golden wedding).

This notice was in the EVENING POST 14/6/1914.
(3rd son of William Harris)

Does this help?
 :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Looking at the marriages fora William Harris to a Mary Ann at the right time there are quite a few.
Really i think you are going to have to buy George's birth certificate t o get his mother's maiden name.
The obvious GRO reference is
George Thomas Harris Dec 1848 Lambeth 4 312
You could also check Arthur Frederick Ingle's birth Newington Sep 1855 1d 148 and the mother's maiden name should be the same.It looks like they got together between 1851 and 1855 but I'can't find a marriage.The nearest I can find is Henry Ingle  Sep 1855 West London but there is a problem with the transcription on FreeBMD and can't check possible brides.
Thomas Ingle must have died between the 1861 and 1871 census and the only contender is Thomas Ingle age 67 Newington Sep 1867 1d 141
This cuts down the time for extra children and the only one possible i could find in Newington is Annie  Sep 1861.So nowhere nearer to A.F.Ingle sister altough Arthur Frederick would fit the bill as a brother.
Thomas was married to a Jane in 1841 age 34 at New St perhaps they had a daughter A.F.
Ciderdrinker

Offline timjonno

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzbound/lost.htm

Contains two references;

George Thomas Harris left England in 1879, and is believed to have gone to New Zealand as a baker and confectioner. His aged widowed mother will be glad to hear from him.

George Harris, when last heard of, seven years ago, was in business as a confectioner in Wellington ; sister A. F. Ingle inquires

NZ DIA historicalrecords can be queried for births deaths and marriages, from which you can get more details.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/

1890/1408           Mabel Margaret    Smith    George Thomas    Harris   (marriage)
1947/25096   Harris    Margaret Mabel    78Y (death)
1948/21897   Harris    George Thomas    80Y (death)

George Thomas Harris (Jnr) married Margaret Mabel Smith daughter of John James Smith and Mary Margaret Murphy.  I have further information on that side of the connection if you are interested. And some further too on George Thomas Harris, which can also be found in New Zealand papers past, (one article I recall has George Thomas Harris in Woodville in 1907).

My own connection being back to Frederick Augustus Smith the brother of Margaret Harris, and this is where my line of research has crossed with George Thomas Harris 

:-)