Author Topic: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland  (Read 14361 times)

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burt of Dunfermline Scotland
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 12:32 BST (UK) »
We are interested in the Burt family of Scotland mainly based in Dunfermline. We have gone back to about 1590 with the birth of Henrie Burt and his marriage to Isabell Browne.
   We then continue to the nineteenth century when the big exodus begins. The United States was the number one choice for lots of the Burt Family.There is a great conclave in Utah, Salt Lake City which suits the Burts and their love of Family History.This is very well covered by the Mormans and LDS, and the Burts are in many other States.
Some Burts travelled to New Zealand and we have contact there as well. Some came to Australia. My line came here but there are other Burt families here and some of our family went to Perth in Western Australia and some others went to South Africa.
There are probably a lot more Burts. We have just listed the ones we know at this time.

Back in the early 1960's we were given a framed history of the Burts which was done by Alexander MacDonald Burt (Aust) and Mrs Margaret Tensmeyer Burt ( USA), in which is listed "some of our service".
   There are two sections Civil and Military under the heading "Peace hath her victories not less renowned than war". There is a chief of police, a right honorable, a detective inspectior attached to the Royal Household, A poet and songwriter,Handloom weaver,inventor,translater to BBC and inventor of emergency launcher, Professor of english.
   On the Military side  we have a VC, a bugler, Guard at St Helena over Napoleon,,DCM and MM, and service in most fields of war.
Their is a branch of the family in England but I know nothing about them.
    Please PM me for further information or if there is someone who should be with our family
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, there!

I think I might be a descendant of some of those Burt's that made the trek with the Mormon Church to Utah (not Mormon myself, but that's another story). My mom's maiden name is Burt, and the line I've traced goes back to about 1653 with a marriage of a John Burt and Agnes Whyte. Is this the same family? Any answers you might have will be helpful. Thanks!

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 03:41 BST (UK) »
The Burts you mention are in our tree and it goes back a few more generations. Firstly I would like to welcome you to Rootschat which is the friendliest site on the www and has some of the cleverest people who just love to help you out. After a couple more posts people will be able to send you personnal messages.
Can I help you out with anything? Just ask away Again Welcome

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 13 02:11 BST (UK) »
Greetings!

Glad to hear I've found a distant relative! I'm definitely interested in learning as much as I can. One thing that has piqued my interest is a link some people have made to James I and II and Robert the Bruce through the Agnes White I mentioned. I was wondering if you've also discovered that? I came across that pedigree this weekend so I haven't had much time to verify it through other people so I was hoping I could start here to see if anyone else who's done research on the Burt family has made the same discovery. I'd be interested to see what you've found.

I look forward to chatting more! Thanks again for the reply.

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi! My mother was a Burt.  She was born in the UK but emigrated to WA.  Acouple of her great Uncles came to WA in the late 1800's, and a great great Uncle went to Sydney in the 1860's.  We have only got back to my GGG Grandfather who was a master mariner, and was apparently born in Glasgow around 1808.  Would love to know if we have a connection!!!
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 13 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, there!

Not sure if there we would be a connection in the case of your family. I've only seen Burt's from Dunfermline in my line, but anything's possible!

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
In a recent TV show the man was very very unhappy that he was not related to Irish Aristoracy. It was a good example about not having grand expectations
Looking into your past it is really a long shot to find someone famous.The closest our family came to being famous was being buried in the same cemetery. A rootschatter told me that nearly every one has a Burt relation from Dunfermline. An American Burt has given me a 12 generation pedigree chart with room for 500 plus names.
The "John " Burt you refer to was born 10 Feb 1649 in Torry Kirk Dunfermline and died there in about 1739. John married Agnes/Annis Whyte/White on 23 June 1682 and had 8 children. Cheers gmar

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 13 03:09 BST (UK) »
True or not, I knew next to nothing about Scottish history until I discovered the supposed link. Glad to say I've been browsing YouTube to catch up on some Scottish history programs to learn more! I'm enthused to dig deeper and see what I can find. It's great there's a site like this that gets people in contact with others to help with research. I'm sure I'll find some good answers here!

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 13 05:32 BST (UK) »
Oh well, maybe my Burts did come from the Dunfermline area once!!!  I have found that the most interesting stories in my own tree are those about normal, nonfamous people.  Perhaps I feel more of a connection with the Ag Labs and Workhouse inmates!!!!
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire