Author Topic: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 December 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I think just about any Burt can trace their line back to Scotland or England.I haven't found a Burt convict. Our family left Scotland early 1900's The men had been in the Boer War and one brother returned there to South Africa and another came with his wife and her family.One brother went to Western Australia and the 4 girls went to live in Sydney New South Wales. There are other families of Burt in Australia not are not related to us-that I know of? Am willing to exchange information with you Cheers gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline mjake52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 August 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
im a descendant of Henry &  Isobell, then to John and Anna White,,William and Sarah etc.. to the San Juan Islands in Washington State..I would love to contact other lines and hear the history ...look at ....Burt Family on facebook,, or Mark S Jacobson

Offline mjake52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Im from Las Vegas , nevada, USA... My grandfather Harry 1899, son of John Hutchison 1858, Son of Joesph H 1819, son of Peter H 1795, son of Peter Wilson Christian Penman, son of Andrew 1709, son of William 1683, son of John 1653 and Agnes, son of David 1626, son of Henrie  1590......I have almost all the family's of the ones listed..I would like to know the family lines in UK, Australia,Canada etc...and to contact living family members..

Offline Colinbburt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, just discovered the site from a tenuous search for information on Burt's in Dunfermline, and this thread was quite eye opening...Firstly I am still wet behind the ears in tracing my family tree, but I am a Burt...and I am from Dunfermline, Scotland.

It is quite incredible to think that the family line might venture out so far around the world.

Any questions about Burt's in the area, I'd be happy to try and help

(also sorry for the reply on such an old thread)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Black, in his "Surnames" has this as a Fife name. A Robert Burt witnessed a "tack" (lease) by the Abbot of Cupar 1521 & a later Robert was charged in Dundee with aiding the English 1552. Bessie Burt, Dunfermline 1590 etc'

Skoosh.

Offline M Burt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm also a Burt of Dunfermline. Now living in New Zealand.
I trace my history back to John Davidson BURT born 1754 Dunfermline married 1774 to Agnes.
Does anyone have the historical family tree beyond 1754 and able to share with me. Thanks.
Murray Burt

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 June 20 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gmar,

I wondered if you have any "Burt" relations in Glasgow?  I  am particularly interested in  Robert Burt b 1869( ish) Maryhill Glasgow.  He married Elizabeth Shepherd.  they had 3 children James b1889, Robert b1890 and Martha b1891.

Martha married John Patrick Casey  they lived in Bonhill Street (mostly) Glasgow and they had 14 children.. Martha died in 1929

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who maybe connected to this branch of Burt/Casey
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline Mukluk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 December 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is a very old thread. But I was just looking through a copy of a booklet about the Burts written by Alexander McDonald Burt. Must be the one and the same mentioned by Gmar in the first post.

I'm not familiar with using rootsweb so hoping I can get in contact with her or see her tree as I imagine it will very much have a lot in common with mine. I descend from Mary Ann Burt who came to live in Sydney in the early 1900's