Author Topic: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland  (Read 14342 times)

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burt of Dunfermline Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 July 13 00:27 BST (UK) »
Dear ghostgirl,

Do you have any names of your uncles that came here to the States in the 1880's? I do have quite a bit of information available on my line from that time period - i might be able to give you some leads.

I too find that the most interesting stories from my family come from the lesser-known people. My grandpa for instance, Roland Burt, served in the US Army in WWII in the 97th Infantry Division. He took part in the Ruhr Pocket campaign and the final push across southern Germany during the last weeks of the war. His division was instrumental in securing Flossenburg Concentration Camp as well as burying the dead found there. It's amazing the things you can find out from family when you just ask.

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 July 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi pdpmorris

It is always wonderful to know of the amazing things achieved by "ordinary" men when they were thrown into that unfamiliar situation (war).

My Burts came to Australia, sorry - I realised I put WA, which could be an American State? But I actually meant Western Australia, sorry about that. :)
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline pdpmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 July 13 01:48 BST (UK) »
Ha!

Sorry, I really thought you were referring to the US state of Washington. Too funny...

Do you live in Perth? I had some friends from Perth...

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 July 13 05:31 BST (UK) »
I am about 800km away from Perth, but it is my nearest capital city.  I have lots of rellies there.  :)
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 July 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
pdp hello again I have  sent you a personnal message as there is a size limit on posts,If you and ghost girl would like what I have on our American Burts I can send that to you cheers gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline Jerijd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 December 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Just found the website and the thread. New to the site. I am a descendant of the Burt family from Dunfermline. My great great grandfather was one of the ones that immigrated to Utah (not to join the Mormon church but to work in the coal mines there. Although he did join the church later in life) His name was John McIntosh Burt married to Isabella Lindsay. My ancestry goes back to Henrie Burt and Isobelle Browne. I am just looking for relatives and just getting started on genealogy. Hoping I can find people that will have information that I don't.

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 December 14 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Well Hello possible relation,I can get back to Henri Burt as well. We will have to find out where we meet in our family trees Our Burt line came out to Australia, other Burts came as well but not related to us. I keep in contact with some Utah Burts. If this is your first post you will need another 2 posts before I can contact you off line eg send you an email etc. This is to protect people from spammers. I have been lucky to get information from many people even some on this site. They are especially helpful with brick walls so if you have any queries so ahead and ask. My grandmother was a Burt and she and her brothers and sisters came out here in the early 1900's and with some research I have found 2 more cousins with whom I correspond. Hoping to hear from you soon Cheers gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline Jerijd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 December 14 17:08 GMT (UK) »
it is my second post so one to go. I have my line back to Henrie and Isobell so it will be fun to figure out where the family branches off. I had no idea some of the Burt line ended up in Australia. I am in Texas USA but am from Utah.

Offline Jerijd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 December 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was a Burt also and her family came to the U.S. in the early 1900's as well. Interesting. Can't wait to figure it all out.