Author Topic: Thomas Gregory 1 of 6 miners killed. Body found 100+ years later Clontarf area  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Justaleafonatree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My gg-grandfather Thomas Gregory was a "Miner" who was killed in a mine collapse.

I have just heard a family story that sometime in the early 1980's there was a newspaper article printed that while clearing an old mine they discovered 6 bodies buried with one confirmed as being my gg-grandfather Thomas Gregory.  I believe this all happened in the Clontarf area where they lived on Seaview Avenue.

My g-grandmother Margaret Gregory was married on 11 January 1880 and it has her father Thomas Gregory listed as a "Miner" and deceased.

This narrows down the timeline of the mine collapse to be sometime from 1865-1880 in the Clontarf area.

I've search all mine collapses with no luck and am trying to find this news article about finding his body sometime in the early 1980's.   Does anybody know where I can search for this?

Thank you for your advice.
Armstrong (Dublin & Canada)
Gregory (Dublin)
Flatters (Bourne, Lincolnshire, England & Canada)
Brewer (Calne, Wiltshire, England & Canada)
Prevost (Canada)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gregory 1 of 6 miners killed. Body found 100+ years later Clontarf area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
The only verifiable details I can see on mines in the Clontarf area relates to Lead Mines during the late 1830s (Lewis), but these were abandoned due to constant flooding.

There was a story going around about discovery of tunnels or mines during the Dublin Port Tunnel work, but as far as I know this turned out to be a hoax. The originator published the details as an experiment.

As you certain the mine was in Clontarf, or is it possible that the family just lived there ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Justaleafonatree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gregory 1 of 6 miners killed. Body found 100+ years later Clontarf area
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.  I am only certain that Thomas's wife Margaret (my gg-grandparents) lived on Seaview Ave in Clontarf as this is indicated on their daughter's Jan 1880 marriage record as well as a 1901 census record.

I assumed it was in Clontarf but certainly could have been elsewhere.

I wish I could find the news article from the early 80's to see all the details.

It's no wonder I can not find a grave location as he was unfound for 100+ years.
Gregory (Dublin)
Prevost (Canada)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Where was your g-grandmother Margaret born ?

Tracing her baptism, and that of any siblings might help track where the family were living at various times.

Link to 1901 census return for reference : Gregory/Armstrong household

p.s. Did Margaret snr die in 1909 ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Justaleafonatree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is her census record and yes she did die in 1909.  I am waiting for her death record from the GRO (ordered last Thursday)

I've not been able to find any birth records for either Margaret Gregory
my g-grandmother born about July 1863  - or -
gg-grandmother born about 1828 as I don't yet know her maiden name and may never know as I can't find the her marriage record to Thomas Gregory either.

Gregory (Dublin)
Prevost (Canada)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
Civil records of birth only started in 1864, so you would need to search for a baptism for Margaret jnr. You would need some idea of which part of Dublin city or county (i.e. the parish), and probably her mother's maiden name for a proper search..

Did Margaret have any siblings - maybe other people with the surname Gregory as witnesses at her marriage, or godparents to her children ?

Have you found Margaret on the 1901 and/or 1911 census, did she stay in Ireland  ?

My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
might be worth checking a birth cert for this extracted record to see what father's occupation is ... location fits along with parents first names..

Name : William Joseph Gregory
  Birth Date : 09 Oct 1865
  Birthplace : Clontarf & Raheny, Dublin (sub-district)
  Parents :  Thomas Gregory & Margaret Aspill
  Ref. 0590

These are the full index reference needed to order a research cert :

Name : William Joseph Gregory
    Event Type : Birth
    Year : 1865
    Registration District : Dublin North
    Volume : 17 / Page: 590
My Surname Interests

Offline Justaleafonatree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Woah!  We are on the same track.  I came across that birth record earlier this morning and placed an order with the GRO for it.

I have even added the "Aspill" to my tree to see if it helps in my searching.

I guess I am doing something right if we are coming up with the same info.  That's good to know as I'm quite new to searching out my family history.

Thank you!  :)  It's killing me though that I can't seem to find that news article.  Don't even know where to search for it.  It's big news to me but from all of what I have read on mining disasters - there sure were a lot back in the day.  :(
Gregory (Dublin)
Prevost (Canada)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
There are various newspapers online but generally subscription - e.g. The Irish Times Archive, Irish Newspaper Archives (which has the Indo etc).

You can search the basic Index on the Times, and I think Irish Newspaper Archives, without joining, but need to sign up to view any details. (The search results sometimes show part of the article)

Not sure where you are based, but some major Irish libraries have facilities to search these archives online without charge.
My Surname Interests