Author Topic: GELL family of Patrick, Isle of Man  (Read 6372 times)

Offline fletcherchristian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GELL family of Patrick, Isle of Man
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
I have a Henry Gell  born July 1770 (Married to Margaret Wattleworth 06.02.1790- Children Leonora 1792, Henry 1794, Caesar 1796, John 1798 and William 1801).

Henry's father was William Gell. Does anyone have anything on William? Or any tips how to go back further- This could be my dead end. :(
Fletch.x

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GELL family of Patrick, Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
wills - try looking at summaries on Manxnotebook
Wm Gell farmed Ballelby - this is part of Barony of Bangor + Sabal (wch makes life interesting as you will need access to original manorial land records - easy to get back at least one further gen (another Wm!)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline fletcherchristian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Frances.Much obliged-Thanks  :)
Fletch.x

Offline johnsondana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
I don't have any information for you, unfortunately.  I do have a question as to the info you already have.  You Mentioned that Henry had a son named William.  Do you know who he married?

Offline Jeanie Reida

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
I guess William and Henry were popular names for this family.  When my ancestor, William Henry GELL, came to New York in 1845, he brought a Bible in which he indicated that at least four generations of Gells at his home farm were named William.

He wrote:

"William Gell is my name. I am a native of the Isle of Mann situated in the Irish Channel. I was born April 1821 and left the Island bound for America April 9th, 1845 - arrived at New York May 23rd, 1845. I am son to Henry Gell, second son of Wm Gell whose father's name was Wm Gell. My great grandfather the present heir's name is Wm Gell My uncle, his son and heir's name is William Gell -  four successive heirs of the same name to the farm of Ballelby R R Patrick, Isle of Man."

I later determined that he was actually born in March 1821 and died in Cleveland, Ohio in 1860 from "consumption.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
...  four successive heirs of the same name to the farm of Ballelby R R Patrick, Isle of Man."
the R.R. is almost certainly 'KK' standard Manx abbreviation for Kirk (or 'parish of' in English)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:54 BST (UK) »

Name:
Henry Gell

Baptism Date:
22 Jul 1770

Baptism Place:
Patrick, Isle of Man

Biography:
Parents: Wm Gell

Offline Manninagh1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 December 15 02:39 GMT (UK) »
My 2x  great grandmother was Elinor Gell, dau of  William Gell of  Ballelby Patrick and Isabella Mylchreest. I did considerable research on the line, including land records, but have never had any contact with other descendants. The family seem to have been money lenders as well as farmers, and had money lent out on mortgage. The W illiam of 1826 was nick-named "King of Dalby" as reported to the Crown Surveyors at the time.