Author Topic: MCINTYRE FAMILY  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Jenny White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MCINTYRE FAMILY
« on: Saturday 10 July 04 10:10 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I am not having a great deal of success in researching my Irish ancestors.  From 1881 census I have discovered that my great great grandfather, MICHAEL MCINTYRE, his mother MARY and sister ANNIE were all living in Wigan.

From Michael's marriage certificate to MARY TABERNER in 1881 it details that Michael's father was OWEN MCINTYRE who was a "farmer" but was deceased.

I think the family MAY be from Donegal.  OWEN  and MARY being born abt 1820 and MICHAEL abt 1853 with ANNIE abt 1860.

I have been told that there are a small number of references to an Owen Mcintyre in Griffiths which gives Townlands etc.  My problem is I am a little bit dim when it comes to Irish research and I don't quite know what to do with this information and how to establish whether any of these are mine.

Also, is there an Irish site where I can try and find BMD's for my relatives or am I clutching at straws.

Ever hopeful

Jenny :)
COCKSEDGE, MCINTYRE, WHITE, MARSH, CARR, HATTON, GREEN, GRIFFITHS, MEEK, PHILLIPS, GORNALL, TABERNER, FAIRCLOUGH, PANTRY, KELSEY, ROWBOTTOM, COY, DREWERY, ASHLEY, BINNS , SATTERFITT and many others. Main areas, Suffolk, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lincs, Gloucestershire, Staffs, Somerset and Ireland.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTYRE FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I had a similar problem with my family. Eventually I found the townland name on the 1861 census. The other censuses and certificate just put Ireland. Have you tried the other censuses?

For BMD, registration only started in Ireland in 1864 for catholic and 1848 for COI. Even then, there is no one website. You have to search the indexes yourself in Ireland or in your local CLS Family History Centre.

Yours are too early even for that so you have to go to parish records (if you have a townland) or the Griffiths Valuation.

Remember there are various spellings for Owen, Eoin and Eoghan.

This is a brilliant explanation of how to use the Griffiths Valuation.
www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF

Kate
www.hi5holidays.com/famhist.html
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Jenny White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTYRE FAMILY
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 August 04 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kate,

I will try the other census as suggested.  If they are not there then I think I may never find out exactly where to start looking in Ireland.

:) Jenny
COCKSEDGE, MCINTYRE, WHITE, MARSH, CARR, HATTON, GREEN, GRIFFITHS, MEEK, PHILLIPS, GORNALL, TABERNER, FAIRCLOUGH, PANTRY, KELSEY, ROWBOTTOM, COY, DREWERY, ASHLEY, BINNS , SATTERFITT and many others. Main areas, Suffolk, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lincs, Gloucestershire, Staffs, Somerset and Ireland.