Author Topic: Michael Cusack and Bridget Cusack  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Cusack and Bridget Cusack
« on: Thursday 06 June 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Bridget Cusack

I have absolutely no idea even whether this is the right Bridget Cusack who is married to Michael.

I have been chasing a forebear in Tasmania for 10 years or so named Bridget Cassidy.

Yesterday I received news from Launceston that Bridget Cassidy was a widow and married to a
  ? Cusack. I have located the above named couple as departing Plymouth and arriving freely on the "Maitland" on 16/9/1854.

Can anyone please shed any light on this couple in Ireland? I know it is a tall order.

Cheers, Hyjean

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Cusack and Bridget Cusack
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:50 BST (UK) »
Have been racking my brains overnight and recall family myth/legend placed Bridget from Co Cork.

Unsure of course! My great uncle on his mother's death certificate as the informant had written his grandmother's maiden name as Bridget O'Rourke. This may or may not be a red herring but throwing it into the mix.

So the question relevant to this not reliable info  is did a Bridget O'Rourke from Co Cork marry a Cusack?

Cheers, Hyjean

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 June 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
You would need a bit more detail to even start a search for any marriage - e.g. did it take place in England (Plymouth was mentioned) or Ireland - which parish, timeframe etc ?

Any marriage would have been well before the start of civil records in Ireland (assuming your O'Rourkes were RC), so you would need to know a fairly detailed location to check if any records were available .. there are over a hundred parishes just in Co. Cork
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for comment -appreciated. My details are scant and so a very long bow.

This couple would have been born say 1820's for him and anything up to 1833 for her.

I was assuming that they would have been married in Ireland.Of course many people dispersed to England during the 1840's so I will have to check that at the Genealogy Society her in West Australia when I next visit.

Cheers, Hyjean

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 04:35 BST (UK) »
 :D This a.m. have tracked down Bridget Cusack as formerly Bridget Redden.From official records.

Hope this is a bit more helpful.From Tasmanian records her birth year would be about 1834.
Although family myth was Co Cork the other alternative was Co Clare.

Cheers, Hyjean

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Checked out records for Indenture Scheme entering Ireland and found Michael Cusack was from Leitrim. He was to work for Mr Maddox.
Cheers Hyjean

Moderator Note - moved to Leitrim board, and merged with new post, and

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bridget Redden and Michael Cusack
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 02:07 BST (UK) »
 :D Initially I put a Bridget and Michael Cusack request under Ireland generally.More specifically mentioning Co Cork.

More probing on my part has found a record which states Co Leitrim as place of origin.I am assuming for both.

This is what I know now and can see how Cork popped into the family legend.
Cork was the departure port for the ferry which took the couple to Plymouth to join the Maitland.
She sailed on 3/6/1854 for Van Dieman's Land. Normally transporting convicts this time it was taking free indentured settlers under a bounty scheme arriving in Hobart Town 16/9/1854.
Bridget gave birth to a daughter on 11/12/1854 in Launceston and Michael must have died within a few months of arrival.

I have ascertained by viewing the church records that Bridget Cusack's former name was Redden.

Is this too broad to be able to find details of say a marriage or birth in Leitrim?

Cheers, Hyjean

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
 :oHave now found records that these two may have only worked in Leitrim. He was a farm labourer and she a dairy maid and domestic.

Shipping details records them as natives of Co Clare-aged 20 and 25 with a Patrick Haverty as their sponsor.

When one keeps searching things are always subject to change!

Cheers, Hyjean