Author Topic: LEA of Sandbach, Cheshire & Staffordshire  (Read 13223 times)

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEA of Sandbach, Cheshire & Staffordshire
« on: Saturday 11 June 05 02:25 BST (UK) »
My known LEA ancestors were primarily butchers from the Saxon market town of Sandbach in Cheshire.

JAMES LEA (butcher) married MARY GREEN in Sandbach in 1720,
They had two known children ~ Ann born in 1723/24 and WILLIAM LEA born 1734

William Lea, butcher, married ELIZABETH SUMMERFIELD in July, 1756 and they had the following children...

MARY LEA 1761 (deceased)
WILLIAM LEA 1763
SARAH LEA 1765
JOHN LEA 1772
MARY LEA 1776
CHARLES LEA 1777
SAMUEL LEA 1779
ANN LEA 1784

William Lea (above - born 1763), butcher, married JANE HILDITCH August, 1785

They had the following children:

PETER LEA - 1786
JOHN LEA - 1787
MARY LEA - 1788
MARGARET LEA - 1790
WILLIAM HILDITCH LEA - 1793
THOMAS LEA - 1795
SAMUEL LEA - 1798
RICHARD LEA - 1801 (butcher)

Peter Lea (above, born 1886), butcher married ANN DANIELS 1808
They had the following children:

THOMAS LEA(h) - 1811
MARY LEA - 1812
MARIA ANN LEA - 1813 (deceased)
MARIA LEA - 1815
ANN LEA - 1816
PETER HILDITCH LEA - 1820

Thomas Lea (above, born 1811), butcher married MATILDA FORSTER 1833
They had the following children

PETER LEA - 1833
SARAH LEA - 1834
WILLIAM LEA - 1837 (deceased)
JANE LEA - 1839 (married THOMAS WILDING
moved to Monks Coppenhall)
THOMAS LEA - 1845 (married MARY ANN SMITH)
moved to Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire
MARY ANN LEA - 1847
HENRY LEA - 1849 (married Harriett ??)
CHARLES LEA - 1850
MARIA LEA - 1857

If anyone has any information about this family I would love to hear from them, and would be more than happy to share any known knowledge.

All the best,
Diana in Tropical Far North Queensland, Australia
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline canniffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LEA of Sandbach, Cheshire & Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Diana and greetings from Sandbach! I supose that you know that there is still a Lea Butcher in Sandbach.  If you don't have it, I will try to take a picture of the shop.  I am sure it is called Peter Lea.
Cheers,
Elaine
Lancashire : Thompson, Robinson, Reddish, Eccles, Walmsley, Pearson, Kenyon.
Angus: Whyte, Thomson, Lees, Leys, Orr ,Barnes, Nairn
Northamptonshire : Hillyard, Loake
Ireland Co Cork : Canniff/e, O'Sullivan
Dublin: O'Farrell

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

What a lovely message to receive from you when I awoke this morning!  Thankyou so very much for writing to me about the Lea Butcher's Shop in Sandbach, and for offering to take a photograph for me.  Unfortunately I do not believe that the present Lea butchers are part of my family, which is really rather sad considering how many generations of my direct ancestors were in the butchers business in the past!

Although I have personally never been to Sandbach, a friend of mine once visited and spoke to the present owner of the shop, whose name, I think, was Michael Lea, but he did not believe we are of the same family.

My gr. grandfather left Sandbach as a young man and became an ironstone miner in Staffordshire, where my grandfather and father were both born.  Of my gr. grandfather's brothers, Peter the eldest, never married, and was a labourer for all of his life, according to the census records.  Another brother - Henry - became a shoemaker and moved to Worcester where he lived for the rest of his life, and of the two other brothers born, one died in infancy and the other totally disappeared somewhere between his 11th year and his 21st year  - possibly migrated somewhere, but certainly did not stay in Sandbach, nor have I ever been able to find any trace of him anywhere in England.

I do not have any proof of my theory, but I suspect that my gr. gr. grandfather......father of these boys......was probably not a very nice person....maybe a heavy drinker who gave his family a hard time, which is why the boys all disappeared from Sandbach and never returned.  Peter, the eldest went to live with his married sister Jane in Monks Coppenhall, and with the disappearance of Charles, and the departure to Staffordshire and Worcester of the other boys, there was no one left to take over the butchers, if indeed it was even still in existance in my gr. gr. grandfathers life by then.

When my gr. gr. grandparents died in the 1870's, their eldest daughter Sarah was placed in the workhouse at Arclid, where she remained for the rest of her life, which is another reason why I believe there was a complete family split, otherwise, surely one of them would have been kind enough to take her in and look after her!

Again many thanks for writing to me, and for being so kind as to offer to take photographs for me.  I think that it is just this sort of thing that makes our hobby such a wonderful one! 

Happy hunting and good luck,  Diana in Tropical Far North Queensland, Australia
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 16:46 GMT (UK) »
hi,
Just browsing when i came across a Thomas Lea marrying Mary Ann Smith in 1864 at Talke St Martins. Talke is part of Newcastle u lyme. Was this Your Thomas?

Peter
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for contacting me.

Yes, Thomas Lea (b. Sandbach, 1843) and Mary Ann Smith (b.Sedgley c. 1848) were my great grandparents who married at St. Martin's, Talke on 7th August, 1864.  I have their marriage certificate.

Cheers, Diana in Tropical Far North Queensland, Australia 
Major names of interest:

Offline BJS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Diana,
I am searching for the parents of Hannah (or Ann) Lees from  Sandbach. Her husband was Thomas Turner - they lived in Odd Rode.  Is it possible that the Lees name is the same as Lea?  Are the names of Lee,  Leese, and Lees the same as Lea?  Your Peter Lea had a daughter Ann born in 1816 - could that be the Ann Lees I am looking for?  I have not yet viewed the church records of Sandbach. 
Thank you!
Barbara

Offline esmith713

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Diana,

My name is Emma and i have just registered on root chat after googling Thomas Lea. I am researching my family history and Thomas Lea (born 1811) is my Great Great Great Grandfather. My Grandmother is Barbara Lea, Thomas' Great Grandaughter. I live in Wolverhampton in the Midlands, England, and have traced the Lea family back to 1763 (William Lea). Thomas indeed had many children with Matilda his wife. I have tried to find information on the Butchers shop in Sandbach but so far have had no luck. Henry Lea (Thomas' son born 1848) did indeed move to Worcester and married Harriet Drake.
I am not sure if you have any heard of the band 'Slade'. They were very famous in the seventies. Well Jimmy Lea the guitarist is Thomas' Great Great Grandson. So there is in fact one famous member of the Lea family! If you would like to share information please reply.

Emma

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the message. Below is a link to my web tree where you will fond the information I have on the Lea family.

Peter

http://wainwrights.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again Peter,

Hi, thanks for the message. Below is a link to my web tree where you will fond the information I have on the Lea family.

Peter

http://wainwrights.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php

Many thanks for your email and family tree website which I have just spent some time going through, but sadly, without seeing any names that fit into my tree as known at present.  Of course, Lea was a very common name in the area and there may be a connection further back, so it will be nice to keep in contact in case something comes up soon  Cheers Diana
Major names of interest: