Author Topic: "TODD" Durham England from the 13th Century  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
"TODD" Durham England from the 13th Century
« on: Friday 07 June 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi having traced my lot back quite a few centuries, I would assume there are quite a few relies out there. My family left the ancestral abode of Byers Green Newfield area around the 1830's emigrating eventually to Sydney Australia 1854.

Anyone connected to the earlier TODD clan from this area pre 1800's I would gladly like to make contact with and share some information.

(Special Note) Those with later TODD connections who made their way to Durham for the industrial revolution IE coal mining, I am unable to help.

'Oportet vivere'

Neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline daldy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "TODD" Durham England from the 13th Century
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 October 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
hello there,
I am tracing my Isabella Todd who married James Fletcher in 1817 in South Shields Durham.They had a daughter Ann who married a John Smith South Shields registered in 1848.I would like to know who her father was.I think she was born in 1791 or2.I have looked in family search and found a Phillip Todd wife Isabel who may be Isabella's parents but no proof.
Ann and John Smith emigrated to Australia in 1857.Don't know if you are interested in this but here it is Janey

Offline Toddlfc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am indeed one of the ancestors of the TODD from Byers green from around the 1800's  as well as been a ALLEN from binchester
Currently catching up with the family tree
I don't know if we are from the same family or not
I have grandfather Albert 'alf' todd
Great grandfather Robert Alfred Todd
Great great grandfather thomas Todd

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hullo, Nice to hear from you ;)

I haven't been doing much on the old family tree for a while, have you been in touch with David Allen?
If your relatives are off the same line as David then we are distantly related.

Hopefully you are not one of the Ancestors far more likely to be a descendant, I hope  :-X ....Or are back to Haunt me... :'(

There are some well constructed trees in existence with both of the above lines going back to the mid 1700's where the line gets blurred and as of date we have been unable to unravel the tie. However because of the apparent shared abodes we do know that the two lines are tied. These then loosely go back to the 1200's.

If you are able to post a couple of more times then we will be able to Personal message one another without the open forum and exchange what we know.

All the best

Neil Todd
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline gefrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 13:52 BST (UK) »

Hello Neil and other Todd family researchers,

I am researching the ancestors of William Todd and Jane Rowell. I am especially interested in the source of the first mention of the family in the XIIIth c.

I can specify my project by private mail.

Regards,

Philip

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 14:17 BST (UK) »
https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/34814/Search-historical-births-deaths-and-marriages-records

You may already have the information daldy, but just in case you don't Ann and John married at St Paul, Jarrow on 26 April 1848. :)

Looking on FamilySearch the film number  indicates that  the Church Isabella married at was St Hilda, South Shields 31 July 1817.

https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/34350/Parish-registers

This record will be on microfilm at South Shields library and Tyne and Wear Archives (and Ann's marriage too).  Are you able to get to this library or archives to look this up or might this be too far for you?

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline gefrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Just in case, I am researching the ancestors of :

- William Todd b. 1718 Byers Green, Durham, m. 1740 Jane Rowell (daughter of Lancelot), d. 1785 (Jane d. 1805). They had 8 children.

According to Neil Todd, but who never gave a source, the family goes back in the area around Byers Green for several centuries. The earliest reference should come back to circa 1268. A Robertus and Guilimus (William) Todd were employed by the Bishop Palatinate of Durham to cut trees at the "Biers", Neil writes.

Regards.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
I have a 5th great grandmother Christian Tod who married John Bainbridge at Chester Le Street in 1762. Is that within the scope of your study?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline gefrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
I would go back William b 1718  ;)