Author Topic: Orton Parish Register look-up  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Orton Parish Register look-up
« on: Friday 07 June 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, and bless you (Deborah) for your willingness to do this. I am looking for any and all STUBBS surnames in the registers for this period. For more than ten years, I have been sure that I would find the Stubbs family coming from Orton, but I need all of the births to be between 1690 and 1750. Your period fits right in the middle, so I am grateful for anything that you find.

Again, thanks for your willingness to go the extra mile.

Janis

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Orton Parish Register look-up STUBB
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
Janis
This is what I have for the period covered but taken from my transcript.  I have copies of the parish registers (BTs?) but it would take a while to locate them in my 'filing system'.

I use square brackets where I can't read something from my copy.  (It may be clearer on the original.)

There's something peculiar going on in 1743 - it may be that there are differences between the parish register and the BT and I have both? or maybe two christenings?

Christenings:
[__] Oct 1720 James the Son of Thomas Stubs of Rayne
10 Jan 1722/3 Christopher the Son of Thomas Stubs of Raine
02 Nov 1740 Mary the Daughter of James Stubbs of Cragg
19 Dec 1742 Anne the Daughter of James Stubbs of Sunbiggen
17 Apr 1743 John the Son of William Stubbs of Raisbeck
27 Apr 1743 John the Son of William & Mary Stubbs of Raisbeck (? something funny here BT?)
06 Nov 1744 [Jane] the Daughter of William & Mary [Stubbs] of [Raisebeck]
24 Feb 1744/5 Agnes the Daughter of James & Ann Stubbs of Sunbiggen

Marriages
none - some for Knewstub

Burials
18 Nov 1739 Margaret the wife of James Stubbs of Sunbegin
24 Aug 1740 Margaret Stubbs of Sunbegin a poor woman
18 Jun 1745 James Stubbs of Sunbiggin Labourer aged 44 (BT)

Hope that helps
regards
Deborah

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Orton Parish Register look-up
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Boy, do I have to apologize for my tardiness. For some reason, I never saw this reply. I am sorry and can't tell you how much I appreciate your work. This is SO, SO very important to me. I have always felt that my Stubbs line would go back to Orton, even if it isn't the original place.

Could I, please, bother to ask you what periods you were able to check? Seems like I will need to get a little older to find marriges and births of THESE people who are having children.

Thanks so much, again!

Janis

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Janis
The Orton records I have are still limited to those periods that I initially offered (see my post under the Westmorland Resources and Offers) and I looked at all of those.

You could approach the Record Office to ask for copies of parish records for the other periods; or ask someone visiting to have a look for you.  I don't think there is a problem with Orton records.  It's just that early records weren't available online.
regards
Deborah

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me. I spent two hours yesterday looking for your original post and had to give up before I found it. I think that I saw in one of them a reference to 1710-1746. Does that sound correct? Also, you mentioned in the reply to me that you had a transcript, as well as copies of the parish registers. So, did you transcribe the whole period, assuming that it was 1710-1746? I wouldn't want to bother someone to do that period again, if there is no chance that there are anymore Stubbses than what you mentioned. Also, if we manage to get a reel in, we'll just go ahead and transcribe the whole of it and post it somewhere. If you've already transcribed part of it, I'd hate to do the work again. Also, it appears that the LDS folks did not photograph the original Orton registers, only the later BTs. I've never run into this before, but scans of the originals do not appear on their available microfilm reels. The BTs only go back to 1661-2, so I'll have to find a kind soul who will go into the Kendal Office, to find anything before that, I guess.

Appreciate your kindness,
Janis

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Janis
Copies of the Orton parish registers (christenings, marriages, burials) spanning the years:
1712 - 1723
1740 - 1745(/6)
is all I requested and all I have.  I have transcribed all of those entries and my transcript is what I used to answer your initial query.

So I think it highly likely that there are Stubbs entries in the Orton PRs between 1723 and 1740 and possibly some before 1712.  I don't know because I don't have copies of the registers for those periods.

On the other hand, I do believe that I have transcribed all the Stubbs entries that I was able to read as such from the copies that I do have.  Those are what I gave you last year except i have just noticed that:

06 Nov 1744 [Jane] the Daughter of William & Mary [Stubbs] of [Raisebeck]
should have been
06 Nov 1744 [Jane] the Daughter of William & Margaret [Stubbs] of [Raisebeck]

Hope that helps
Deborah

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that info. I've amended my request for help (in a separate post), so that another person doesn't duplicate your work.

I do appreciate your looking again at the William/Mary issue. You see, I have the perfect William to fit in there, but he married a Margaret. This is SO wonderful of you to look again. Mary and Margaret are often difficult to discern. This means another match for me. Thanks for being part of this!

Regards,
Janis