Author Topic: Widnes cemetery  (Read 4019 times)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Widnes cemetery
« on: Sunday 09 June 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
I am travelling from Australia to England in a few weeks time, incorporating a holiday with family research.  I am also visiting Widnes to do a little research on behalf of a friend.  I will be visiting the Library to look at some old newspapers on microfilm and am also hoping to visit the cemetery to locate and photograph the graves of some of my friend's relatives.

I have the following plot numbers to try and locate:  Matilda CAMERON (bur 8th Jan 1918) Plot 11R, Grave 2696; William CAMERON ( died 16 Mar 1954) - Plot 12C Grave 4644; Matilda POUNTAIN (died 22 Feb 1983) - Plot 17R Grave 5609.  I will also be looking for a memorial or grave for Eric PRIESTLY, an Australian soldier who was married to Ellen CAMERON and who died in June 1918. 

I have a couple of queries I am hoping someone might be able to help me with.

- Is anyone able to tell me whether headstones exist for any/all of these graves?
- Whilst I have a basic plan of the cemetery, I have no idea of its actual size or how well it is signposted.  Can anyone help me with this?
- Can anyone help me with the exact location of Eric Priestly's grave/memorial as I would like to place a poppy on it on behalf of my friend.
- Finally, can anyone advise me on how I can get to the cemetery from Widnes itself. I will be staying in Liverpool and travelling to Widnes for the day by either bus or train.  Is the cemetery within walking distance of the town, is there a bus or would I need a taxi to get there?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need the help of someone whop knows the area.

Thank-you in advance for your help.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Widnes cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
A Birds Eye view of the cemetery http://binged.it/UHXuNk which is adjacent to Widnes railway station.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Have you see this plan of the cemetery? http://www.johnhoughton.me.uk/content/images/widnes_plan.jpg

Stan

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 June 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,
Yes, that's the same cemetery map that I have. Unfortunately, I have no idea of its scale.
I'm very pleased to find that the cemetery is so close to the station, which I am hoping is also close to the Library.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 13 06:16 BST (UK) »
I live 5 miles away - I wouldn`t walk from Widnes city centre to the Cemetery - probably 30 mins ..
I am in Garston ,Liverpool ...my wife goes to Widnes Market every WEDNESDAY ...if you arrange to go to the Cemetery on a Wednesday - you could come to Garston on the bus from Liverpool City Centre  - I will pick you up -in Garston - drop my wife at Widnes Market - and I will take you to the Cemetery ...my wife takes 2 hours looking around the market - so that should be enough time for your visit ...I will be going to Widnes anyway - so you`re welcome to a lift , but it has to be a Wednesday ...are you staying in Liverpool City Centre ??...if you are by any chance staying around Garston /Speke ( Airport ) area I could pick you up on the way to Widnes ....my fathers Funeral Service was at Widnes Cemetery in the Chapel there ... if the weathers nice this Wednesday ,I will see if I can find any headstones for you ...
The Library is about a mile from the Station - but IS on the same stretch of road ...
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 13 06:27 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say - my wife and I are in our early 60`s and retired - we go to Widnes on a Wednesday around 10 am ...( for the bargains.. lol )...PM me if you would like to take up the offer - it will depend on the dates you are in Liverpool ...
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jangeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 13 07:48 BST (UK) »
Eric Priestly died 11 June 1918 at the No1 War Hospital,Reading and was buried in plot 1977, section 4C at Widnes Cemetery on 15th June, the address he was taken from was 16 Margaret Street, Widnes, at street now long gone.

When or if you visit the Cemetery you are wise to take a map with you as it is not clearly marked, however the plot is on the left of the main drive to the crematorium.

If visiting from Liverpool and the only destination is the Cemetery and not Widnes itself you are better catching a train from Lime Street to Widnes, the cemetery is next door to the station at Widnes.

Hope this helps
GeoffW
Tambling-Runcorn //  Widnes // Woolton // Charlestown
Wycherley-Widnes // Shropshire
Kenyon-Widnes
Havard-Garston // Widnes // Portsmouth
Blackmore-Widnes // Barnstaple
Edwards-Therfield // Warrington // Toxteth

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Geoff and Allan for your replies.

Allan, that is an extremely kind and generous offer but, unfortunately, my visit to Widnes has to be on a Monday as I only have a few days in Liverpool.  (I have no family connections here but am visiting for my friend.. and, of course, to soak up a little Beatles nostalgia).  Even though i can;t take up your kind offer, I do appreciate it.

Thanks Geoff  for providing me with details of Eric Priestly's burial plot.

I need to visit both the Library and Cemetery so think the best plan will be get a taxi from the station to the Library (aiming to be there around 10ish), do what I need to do there and then get a taxi back to the cemetery.  I can then have a good old look around before walking back to the station and getting the train back to Liverpool. 

To you knowledgable locals, does this seem feasible?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Sandra

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
Sandra,
This shows the relationship of the station and the library http://goo.gl/maps/nXKGv

Stan