Author Topic: Norfolk farm labourers in the Northumberland/Durham coalfields  (Read 17192 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norfolk farm labourers in the Northumberland/Durham coalfields
« on: Monday 10 June 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
In 1851 my 3x great grandfather was a farm labourer in Ketteringham. In 1861, aged 65, he had moved to Earsdon Northumberland with his wife, the youngest of his 14 children and a grandson. He remained a farm labourer but the two young men were coal miners. Other members of his family, sons, daughters, nephews and nieces also travelled North, settling in either Northumberland or County Durham. In each case the men worked as miners or as labourers in related industries. Some moved with their Norfolk spouses others found partners in their new home.
I haven't followed all the families but so far I haven't found a record of any returning to Norfolk. (The exodus seems to have escaped oral history-my late mother was unaware that any of the family had ever left the county. )
I assume that changes in agriculture and lack of employment opportunities drove the families northwards. Presumably it was fairly easy to travel in returning coal barges.Was this a common occurrence or were my ancestors unusual?
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk farm labourers in the Northumberland/Durham coalfields
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
In 1862 there was a terrible disaster in a nearby coalmine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_Colliery_Disaster
Hoping your relative wasn't working there at the time. The bodies were buried in Earsdon churchyard.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
What a horrific accident. I don't think any of my family members were among the fatalities, one died in 1863 aged 28 which could have been due to an accident but obviously not that one. It shows how desperate they must have been. 19th century farm work was undeniably hard but surely it was safer than mining.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
What family name are you looking at,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
Osborne, mainly.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
I think it's all down to economics and the 2nd Industrial Revolution?

With more and more farms using machinery, there were fewer and fewer Ag Lab jobs available.
But with more and more coal needed to fuel the Industrial Revolution, there were lots of jobs in, and around mines.
And these jobs were (relatively speaking) well paid?

My own family migrated from Wiltshire to the South Wales mines, via the Bristol Coal Field.
Another branch travelled from Kent to South Wales.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
I have numerous Norfolk/Suffolk families in my extended genealogy. All relocated to County Durham.

Box - Shouldham, Norfolk
Doy - Edgefield, Norfolk
Gedge - Briggate Mill, Norfolk
Owers - Mildenhall, Suffolk
Wilby - Burgate, Suffolk and surrounding area

I would imagine they came to County Durham by train.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
In 1851 my 3x great grandfather was a farm labourer in Ketteringham. In 1861, aged 65, he had moved to Earsdon Northumberland with his wife, the youngest of his 14 children and a grandson. He remained a farm labourer but the two young men were coal miners. Other members of his family, sons, daughters, nephews and nieces also travelled North, settling in either Northumberland or County Durham. In each case the men worked as miners or as labourers in related industries. Some moved with their Norfolk spouses others found partners in their new home.
I haven't followed all the families but so far I haven't found a record of any returning to Norfolk. (The exodus seems to have escaped oral history-my late mother was unaware that any of the family had ever left the county. )
I assume that changes in agriculture and lack of employment opportunities drove the families northwards. Presumably it was fairly easy to travel in returning coal barges.Was this a common occurrence or were my ancestors unusual?

Hello Janfurness,
It was extremely common for the starving labourers of Norfolk (in particular) to be recruited by the agents working for the mills, mines, and docks further North (and South).
The would be new employers paid for the removal of the family and sorted out such things as legal documents for settlement. Settlement certificates were a must in the 19th century. Without one, you could not stay. This outlay had to be repaid, however, and there are many tales of wives whose husbands who later died or were injured, but the family  still had to pay back those removal expenses.
That, and the fact that many men were paid in company tokens which they could only spend at the company owned shops, meant that families were in hock for generations. Hence, few of them were able to return to Norfolk. Some, like my grandfather, Robert Dack, however, managed to escape. I am still trying to work out how he was able to take his wife and large family from Newcastle to London in 1878-1881.
The company token scheme was eventually outlawed by the introduction of the Truck Acts which made it illegal not to pay someone in Coin of the Realm if they so demanded. This part of the Act was removed under Margaret Thatcher's regime to "facilitate cashless pay". Nowadays, one cannot insist on being paid wages in cash.
It was not changes in agriculture that caused this exodus, but the fact that Norfolk was extremely poor in general, the soil particularly barren,  and many people starved or died very young of disease in the 18th and 19th centuries. A look at church registers will tell you that.  Most aglabs were dayworkers and/or owned a small amount of not very good land upon which they and their large families subsisted. The mine, mill, and dock owner's agents were a godsend to many of them.
A complicated subject but I hope I have pulled away some of the mystery.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vicwinann, that's answered a lot of my questions-and raised a few more!. According to the census most of the men were described as Agricultural Labourers, so presumably were day labourers with little or no job security. I hadn't realised Norfolk was such a poor county in the C19th.
My theory of simply hopping on a barge and travelling North for work is obviously wrong as well.
Settlement certificates were a must in the 19th century. Without one, you could not stay.
Were these certificates to prevent vagrants travelling around the country? Did you need proof of work before you could obtain one?
The grandson came back quite quickly but the son and other members of the extended family stayed in the north. I assumed they chose to settle there-I didn't realise that they were trapped. One family obviously did quite well, the head of the house, a colliery worker in 1861 and 1871 was a farmer with 44 acres by 1881, but most remained mineworkers.

Moderator comment: topics merged to keep all information together.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex