Author Topic: Norfolk farm labourers in the Northumberland/Durham coalfields  (Read 17193 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk farm labourers in the Northumberland/Durham coalfields
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
The new edition of the NDFHS magazine has an article by Dr Bill Lancaster of the North of England Mining Institute at Neville Hall in Newcastle. They are starting a research project about the movement of people into the North East to work in the mines - and out again when the mines closed. He wants to know about individual stories about migration, and I thought several of the stories in this thread might be of interest to him. His email address is
williamlancaster@binternet.com
With regard to settlement certificates - I have a suspicion that there was less concern about these in industrial areas of the North than elsewhere in the country. The population seems to have been highly mobile from quite early on as new mining areas opened, in contrast to southern counties.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
I have an extended family that moved to Durham. I post my notes about Elizabeth Cousins who was probably the youngest of the group:

She was born in Browick, Norfolk in 1857 to James Cousins and Mary Ringwood.

She was the eldest child of father James who married Mary in 1855 in Bracon Ash, Norfolk. She moved to Jarrow with her family aged about 9. I think I can judge almost to the year when she moved to Jarrow from Norfolk.

Many of her family also disappeared from Norfolk and reappeared in Jarrow. The most accurate estimate of the date they moved comes from these facts.

In 1862 her brother George was born in Wymondham, Norfolk.
In 1865 her uncle John Henry had a son John Henry in Mulbarton, Norfolk.
In 1866 her brother William was born in Jarrow.
In 1870 her uncle John Henry had a son Samuel in Jarrow.

I believe this points to a move between 1865 and 1866.

The move included:

Her parents James Cousins and Mary (nee Ringwood).
her brother George.
her grandparents Henry Ringwood and Mary (nee Dawson).
her uncle John Henry Ringwood, his wife and five children. He had two more in the Jarrow/Hebburn area.
her aunt Elizabeth Ringwood with her husband John Osborne and two children. They had three more children in the Jarrow/Hebburn area.
her Uncle Walter Ringwood and his wife Mahala (nee Green) and three children. Walter had two children in Jarrow but returned to Norfolk before his last child George was born in 1887.
her husband James' mother Esther Barker (pre Cozens nee Smith).
her husband James' step-brother Isaac Barker.
and possibly even James Hall Thraxton, the father of her future second husband James Hall Thraxton (b1873 Hebburn), who was born in Hethersett where many of Elizabeth's family came from.

Among the Ringwoods mentioned there was an Elizabeth Ringwood b1840 who married a John Osborne b1845 in Ketteringham.

Also - only one family returned to Norfolk.

The photo is of Elizabeth - my great grandmother - with my father on her knee.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline corpust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 June 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
I too find the story of my ancestors migration fascinating.They must have found the move traumatic,leaving behind other family members,as well as wondering what the future would hold.The differences between the rural life in Norfolk and the mining life in the NE would have been interesting.My Great-great Grandmother went from living in Saxthorpe to living in Newbiggin-by-Sea.What a contrast!The mix of accents alone would have been educational.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 June 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
The differences between the rural life in Norfolk and the mining life in the NE would have been interesting.

Don't forget the differences between living in poverty and starving, and the family having gainful employment and being fed!

As I said before: my grandfather moved from rural Wiltshire to the South Wales coalfields, and grandmother's family travelled all the way from Kent to South Wales! All in order to find work and avoid the workhouse.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 June 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
At first I wondered how they all coped with life labouring underground compared with labouring under open skies (conveniently forgetting cold and rain!) but there's no doubt that they were driven by poverty and necessity. The various family member seem to have moved around a fair amount -Earsdon, Longhirst, Cramlington, Morpeth, Jarrow, Gateshead, South Shields among others. Presumably they were travelling for jobs, sometimes lodging with other family members, leaving their wives and children in other parts of the North East.
The John Osborne that Paul Caswell refers to was baptised William John Osborne -(a grandson of William Osborne who I referred to originally). He was described as a coal trimmer - but I'm not sure what that was? His brothers Edward and George also moved North, married and settled  in the area.
Looking at some members of later generations they seem to have had better job opportunities than their Norfolk cousins -engineering as opposed to labouring for example. (Not a fair comparison given that I don't know much else about them and their abilities but interesting- perhaps they had more opportunities for education or apprenticeships if the parents were better paid.)
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 June 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Trimmers worked on the staiths and ships. As coal was loaded into ships from the staiths it had to be spread about. It achieved two things. The vessel was kept on an even keel and the cargo hold could be fully utilised for the maximum possible load. A hard life shoveling coal about and in all weathers on deck.

There is a photograph of Trimmers at Blyth on the forum. Reply no. 53 on this thread;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=488089.50

If you do a G**gle search Coal Trimmers in G**gle Images you will get a whole host of images showing what they did.

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 June 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Phew hard work indeed. Thank you for the link. I  searched the images as you suggested and one picture was taken in 1956 but could have been 100 years earlier.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 June 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
He was described as a coal trimmer - but I'm not sure what that was?

Phodgetts has given you the answer to this, but you might like to know that there's a very useful glossary of mining occupations here
http://www.dmm.org.uk/educate/mineocc.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:52 BST (UK) »

Teemers "teemed" the coal down from the "drops", into the ships below. The Trimmers "trimmed"
 the coal around the hold ( for reasons already stated)

Good communication between  teemers and trimmers was essential for life and limb !
 " Stand clear below- Now ! "

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.