Author Topic: Lost Andersons of Moray  (Read 11903 times)

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Andersons of Moray
« on: Monday 10 June 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm just new to RootsChat, but I have researching my family ancestry for quite some time on Ancestry.com. While I have a lot of information on certain Anderson family members, I have hit the proverbial brick wall with four of my great uncles, and I'm hoping some one here might be able to help. I apologize in advance for this long post.

Let me give some background first. My 3rd great grandfather was Alexander Anderson, born 27/7/1796 at Drainie, Moray. He married Margaret McIntyre born 19/10/1803, at Forres. They had 8 children that I know of, 6 boys and 2 girls. Their 3rd son was baptized Alex John Anderson, but in any census records I have found the name Alex has been dropped and he is listed merely as John Anderson born 6/3/1837, Drainie. John Anderson was my 2nd great grandfather. He married Isabella Stalker McArthur, (another brick wall) and they in turn had 7 children that I know of, one being another John Anderson born 17/9/1861, Elgin. John is my 1st great grandfather. He married Christina Paul, born 6/9/1862, Auldearn, Nairnshire.

John and Christina married in 1882 at Broadshaw, Auldearn, but it appears John may have had an illegitimate daughter in 1881 named Isabella Stalker Anderson (I have yet to confirm that) John and Christina had 4 sons. William Anderson born 1883, Elgin, John Anderson (my grand father) born 1885, Rothes, James Anderson born 1887, Alves, and Alexander Anderson born 1889, at Rafford. Christina died the same year as Alex was born due to complications with the birth.

Two years after Christina's death, John marries an Elspet McLean from Knockando, a lady 10 years older than himself, and they move down to Lanarkshire  taking John, James and Alexander with them. William for some reason, stayed behind with his grandparents, William Paul and Margaret Dawson, in Auldearn. I can't find any definite record for William after 1901 when he appears on the census living in Falkirk, Stirling, as a servant. James also disappears off the radar along with Alexander. In 1906, Elspet dies and John moves back to Nairnshire where he marries again, a woman quite a bit younger than himself, Elizabeth Fraser.

Between 1901 and 1908, my grandfather joined the Merchant Navy, and during WW1 was attached to the Royal Navy as Stoker Petty Officer on the HMS Jason.  In 1912 he married my grandmother Matilda Ethel Henstridge in Warminster, Wiltshire and had two sons born 1913 and 1915. In 1917, John was medically discharged from the Navy due to terrible wounds he received when the Jason was mined off Coll Island. Three years later he packed up my grandmother and their two sons, and immigrated to New Zealand. In 1922, my mother was born.

This is where Alexander reappears again briefly, in family photographs taken between 1922-abt 1930, unfortunately, after that time I can't find any record for him. An old picture of James and William reappeared just recently, and it seems James married and had a child. I have attached the pictures in case some one just might have some information.

Incidently, there was another brother or half-brother, previously unknown to me that I discovered on my great grandfather's death record in 1937, Robert Anderson. I have searched in vain for a birth record for Robert so I can find who his mother was, but at this stage I have come up empty handed. It's altogether very frustrating!

Description of pictures as they appear in order:

1st picture is of William Anderson. When and where unknown. On the back there is simply the name Bill.

2nd picture is of my grandfather in uniform circa 1930, New Zealand.

3rd picture is of James, his wife and their child. When and where unknown. On the back of the picture is has Jim, Becky and baby Iris.

4th picture is of Alexander on a ship. When and where unknown. The name Alec appears on the back.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Andersons of Moray
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to RC.

I don't have time to look at this in detail.
I'm really just replying so that I get alerted to other responses you might get.

I have Andersons on my maternal side (mum's mum) in the Morayshire area around the era you're talking about.

My particular line left Morayshire for Wick, Caithness (boat building family), and some, subsequently to Glasgow where I now live.  Some of the family appear to have gone back from Caithness to Morayshire.

It might be interesting to collaborate, but for the time being, I just don't have time.  You're welcome to request an invite to my tribal pages sit (link below) and have a look around at what info I have online.

Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for the reply and welcome.

There were several Anderson lines living in Morayshire at that time. My great grand aunt Margaret Paul married into another Anderson line, whom some members subsequently moved into the Glasgow area. There could very well be a connection there somewhere.

If and when you have the time, I would be happy to collaborate. If you are interested, I can send you an invite to my tree on Ancestry.com There may be some information of interest to you on it. In the meantime, I will request an invite to your tribal pages and see what you have there.

Thank you again
Valmai

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Received your request and have responded. 
If nothing comes through soon, have a look in your spam folder - sometimes my messages via tribal pages are regarded as Spam - depends on ISP.

Access to your Ancestry site would be great, but as I say, could be an age before I get the time to look at it thoroughly.

Thanks,
Dave
-------------------

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
If you have not yet come across it, the free website Libindx allows you to search for folk from Moray.

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I got your response and have created an account on your site.

Access to become a guest and to have full access to my family tree on Ancestry has to come via email from the Ancestry site. If you don't feel comfortable in handing out your email address, I think you can sign up on Ancestry without having to pay and still view public member trees, but I'm not entirely sure how much access you would have to records, photographs and stories I have there. My tree name on Ancestry is Anderson/Henstridge/Owens username v_j_owens. Think about it anyway and let me know what you decide.

Incidently, as I am residing the USA at present I'm using the American site, Ancestry.co.us

Thanks
Valmai

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again,
I actually subscribe to Ancestry so when I have the chance, I'll be able to find your tree.
If there IS anything we want to discuss / share, I'll happily give you my email address at that time.

Dave
-------------------

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2. I have used Libindx quite a bit and found some very useful information there for other Andersons in my line. Lindsay Robertson from the Moray Burial Ground group has also been of enormous help, and I have countless birth, death and marriage records from Scotlandspeople,  but I can't find anything conclusive for William, James and Alexander, at least not yet.

Alexander for one could have stayed on in New Zealand, but I have a feeling he left at some stage and lost contact with my grandfather. James may have moved to England and married there, but I have also found several James Anderson's immigrating to Canada. William  could very well have served in WW1 as there are several who have the same year of birth and are from the same area. Unfortunately, none of them have relatives listed on their army records. Robert Anderson, well there are plenty of those on SP and I have been slowly buying records to see if I get a hit. Nothing yet, sadly.

Valmai

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 00:09 BST (UK) »
Well if you already subscribe to Ancestry you shouldn't have any problems getting access to my tree.

It's far from complete mind you, a bit of a work in progress, but I have over 4000 people on it and over 1000 pictures, stories and records. I also have a ton of records I haven't added yet, so if or whenever you have time to look and you find something of interest, I'll be happy enough to send the info and/or original picture, record etc.

Valmai