Author Topic: Flordon parish registers - BLOYS/BLOIS - lookup  (Read 1615 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flordon parish registers - BLOYS/BLOIS - lookup
« on: Tuesday 11 June 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can search the parish registers of Flordon for a marriage between Thomas Bloys/Blois and Sarah 1755-1760 and any offspring of this marriage up to 1776.

I have checked the Archdeacon's transcripts that are available online at the familysearch site, but most years pre 1760 are missing, as are 1762, 1769, 1774 and 1776.    The NRO office seems to indicate microfilm of the actual registers (not transcripts) are available.

I have found Sarah 1760, Susanna 1765, Ann 1767 and Elizabeth 1769.  I suspect there should be a Mary and Charlotte also.

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Flordon parish registers - BLOYS/BLOIS - lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Sarah and Susanna BLOYS are on the FreeReg site: -

Sarah 28/09/1760 baptised at St Michael's Flordon

Susanna 03/02/1765 at St Michael's also.

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Luckily, the Bishop's Transcripts for the year 1759 are online - here's the marriage of Thomas Bloys and Sarah Skales, at Flordon on 7 October 1759 -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-57495-10?cc=1823613&wc=9020178

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Maria and Yorkslass.  Not sure how I missed the marriage - too long a session staring at the screen I suppose.

The Elizabeth Bloys baptised 1769 is a good candidate for the person I am looking for.  I know she had sisters Mary (possibly born 1760/61) and Charlotte (m. 1794).   Birth dates a bit uncertain, since Elizabeth was not very accurate with ages.  They could be born either at Flordon or Long Stratton.  I have found 5 further children of Thomas and Sarah baptised at Long Stratton - Letitia 1770, Tabitha 1771, Thomas 1773, William 1775 and Margaret 1776.

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Flordon parish registers - BLOYS/BLOIS - lookup COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 01:35 BST (UK) »
I have just re-checked my link to the online archdeacons transcripts - and the 1759 page is not there.  What was the path you used to get to this page?   I have not had much luck finding most of the parishes I am interested in among the Bishop's transcripts (which is why I was using the Archdeacon's) - I will have to go back and double check.

Which I have done, and have now located the Bishop's transcripts for Flordon and found the missing Mary - now for Charlotte.

Thank you again for your help.

Offline granma b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Clontarf

Just seen your post re Thomas Blois and Sarah Skales.  I have them in my tree.  Can we compare notes?
meadows - reydon, cransford, tunstall. southwold, suffolk
cable, benhall, benacre, rendham, suffolk
poulter - wethersfield, gt. bardfield, essex
smith - wethersfield, witham, essex

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
granma b

Thomas Blois and Sarah Skales are candidate parents for an Elizabeth Blois who married William Smith in Dagenham in 1787 and died there in 1856.  In the 1851 census she says she was born in Stratton about 1767.  She had sisters Mary and Charlotte and another possible sister Tabitha who died age 63 in 1844.  None of the sisters could write and most ages associated with them need to be treated with caution.  All lived in Dagenham at some time.

Tabitha is the reason I am considering Thomas Blois and Sarah Skales as potential parents and Charlotte is an argument against that identification, since I can find no record of Thomas and Sarah having a daughter Charlotte.

From the registers available on familysearch I have identified 5 children to a Thomas and Sarah Blois at Flordon - Sarah 1760, Mary 1762, Susanna 1765, Ann 1767, Elizabeth 1769 and then the 5 previously mentioned at Long Stratton from 1770 to 1776.  I have no direct evidence to show it is the one family but there are no more baptisms for Thomas and Sarah at Flordon after 1769 and none before 1770 at Long Stratton.

The Flordon baptisms of Mary and Elizabeth are a fairly close match to the Dagenham women and if the identification is correct then Elizabeth has lived at Long Stratton since she was 1, so may have believed she was born there.    The Tabitha baptised at Long Stratton is too old for the Dagenham burial if her age is correct, but it could well be wrong.

The main stumbling block is Charlotte.  She married in 1794, so is probably born before 1773.  There is a potential gap between Tabitha and Thomas at Long Stratton where Charlotte could be born in in 1772, but the timing is very tight.

There are potential burials for Thomas Blois in 1813 and Sarah Skales in 1825 (age 91) at Long Stratton.

I have looked at most Blois entries in the registers for Norfolk in the 18th century and think Thomas of Flordon may have been born in Pulham, but have no proof.

Does any of this match your information?

Offline granma b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Clontarf

Apologies for the long delay.  I have been hunting for a possible Charlotte, without success.  Was intrigued by the sisters who ended up in Essex which seems a long way from Norfolk in the 1700's

Would you be interested in looking at my tree?  I found yours and can see that we have the same links going back to the 17c.  I made mine Private after several chunks were lifted and attached to other, unrelated people, but can send you an invitation to see it so you can see the sources I have.  My line is from Henry and Elizabeth (Riches), to Maria(1807) who married Wm. Boast.  Their daughter Frances aka Mary Frances was my gt grandma and she married William Cable..

I have a lot more info about Sarah Blois (1737) and will come back to you on this - think you will find it interesting

Best wishes. Yvonne
meadows - reydon, cransford, tunstall. southwold, suffolk
cable, benhall, benacre, rendham, suffolk
poulter - wethersfield, gt. bardfield, essex
smith - wethersfield, witham, essex

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 January 17 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yvonne, yes, I would like to have a look at your tree.