Author Topic: Robert Anderson b1876 Selkirk - moved to Honolulu - 'Honolulu Bob'  (Read 12961 times)

Offline Giselle70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Anderson b1876 Selkirk - moved to Honolulu - 'Honolulu Bob'
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you too KitCarson, thank you for your reply. I do not have very much information, but would be happy to share with you what I have.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Giselle70, can I ask how you are related to RCA?  It's all very exciting.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Giselle70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 January 14 02:14 GMT (UK) »
I'd be happy to share with you KitCarson but would prefer to do it via private message. You'll understand once you hear the story.

Offline catmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 November 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Robert's wife Margaret's maiden name was Dickson. The Dickson family at that time lived in Kittyfield, Gattonside, Melrose, Scotland. My grandfather, Walter, was Margaret's brother.
Robert's brother John has written an unpublished autobiography of which I've read parts which apply to the Dickson side of the family. I know some of the history but would love to know more.

Offline catmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 November 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Robert M  Anderson (Honolulu Bob) born 1876 was the Selkirk Colonial Standard Bearer in 1913. He was my grandmothers brother in law.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catmel, great that you have been in contact.

Yes, Robert did marry Margaret Scott Dickson didn't he.  My relationship is through my husband and is via Honolulu Bob's Grandfather, George Anderson b.1816.

If you make another post, we can continue this conversation via Private Message (PM) if you like.

Unfortunately, I can't give you anything on the Dickson side, but have a wee bit on the Anderson's. 

Not only was Honolulu Bob a flag bearer, but his grandson came over last summer to perform the same honour!

We live in Edinburgh, Scotland.  Where are you?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline catmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,
The autobiography is written by John Anderson (Honolulu Bob's brother). The parts of the book I've read apply to a time when the Anderson's were home on holiday and were going to visit Mrs Dickson (my great grand mother) around the spring of 1913. 
I know someone who has done the family history of the Andersons and has it all written down.
It was Bob's Andersons great grandson who did the colours in 2013 not his grandson. 
I'm down in the borders.
Can photos be published here?

Offline catmel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Honolulu Bob (Robert Anderson) was brother in law to my grandfather and grandmother (Walter and Janet Dickson). That would make him my mother's uncle, therefore my great uncle.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 November 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catmel
Sorry that I've not been in touch again before now.  Have been busy at work but have seen some of your more recent posts.  As I didn't have information to hand, i didn't want to post incorrect information again (like RMA being grandson rather than Great Grandson!).

You could post photo's here, but I'm not sure too many people would be interested if it's to do with our Dickson or Anderson line  :D

I'll PM you and we can continue to be in contact that way if you want.

(I've now sent you a PM and I hope it gets to you)

Kit