Author Topic: Confectioner's Guild? Help please.  (Read 4892 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confectioner's Guild? Help please.
« on: Wednesday 12 June 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
My great grand father John Richard Papworth was a Master Confectioner, he died in 1891, I was wondering if there was a Guild for confectioners and if so, how would I contact them? He had a son of the same name who was also a confectioner who owned a shop called the American Candy Co, 37, Battersea high St. Is there any way I could get information about this?   Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confectioner's Guild? Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
A 'master' just means someone who has his own business where he sets his own rates and employs others. There was no Guild of Confectioners as far as I can see, apart from this one http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/charity/10083728.Confectionery_professionals_form_York___s_first_guild_since_1954/.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan, thank you for the information, much appreciated.

I know my great uncle John Richard Papworth was a Mason, I have seen a photo of him in the regalia.   Can I get any information through them.   Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan, thank you so much. Best wishes, Sara.

Offline Branford searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 July 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
I lived in Battersea in the early 1950s and visited frequently after that. There was a sweet shop in the Falcon Road called Papworth's. They made sweets on the premises. It was very popular. Would this be the same family?

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 July 13 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for responding to my post. I  am unsure, but will check it out, sounds promising though.Thanks again, Sara.

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 July 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
I lived in Battersea in the early 1950s and visited frequently after that. There was a sweet shop in the Falcon Road called Papworth's. They made sweets on the premises. It was very popular. Would this be the same family?

Hi, I managed to find a source for your information and yes, it was my family. Thank you. Do you remember anything else about the shop or owner?    Sara.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 July 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend