Author Topic: (Rev) Adam Ross + Isabella King  (Read 5055 times)

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
(Rev) Adam Ross + Isabella King
« on: Thursday 13 June 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of Rev. Adam Ross (born England circa 1812-1815 (according to the Censuses).......and his wife Isabella King (born about 1822 Govan Lanarkshire, and died between the 1891-1901 census, in Scotland.   Adam being a minister of Free Church, they travelled around a lot.  Can't find a marriage for them, which hopefully would have given me their parents names.

I have a lot of information on them and their children, however I have been told that likely Adam's father was Donald Ross born  circa 1777, Tarbat, Scotland.  Cannot find any census with Adam on it with his father (or mother, for that fact), and nothing on her parents.   Hope someone can help.  Thank you for taking a look at this.
Joker.   
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: (Rev) Adam Ross + Isabella King
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Try, 24 July 1852 at Rattray, Perthshire, Scotland.
Regards

Malky

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did Adam die in Scotland?  If so - his death cert should give parental details

If the 1852 marriage is correct - it must be a second one for him as the 1861 shows eldest child as 14 b Loringstone, Linlithgowshire.  She was called Isabella and next child is Adam H b Rattray 1848

1851 shows just Adam with children Daniel Russell Ross 7 b Kinnoway, Fife plus Isabella and Adam Harker Ross

First wife shown here

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY8N-JVL
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
In case anyone else is looking, looks as if he is on 1841 census in Kennoway, living with a lady called 'May' but no other info recorded about either of them according to Freecen

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Looks as if he died Aberdeen 1908?  Death cert and two wills for him on SP

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Lots of obits for him on britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Dundee Courier, 28 Jan 1908 has him born in Gosport, Hants in 1812, although spent his early years in Nairn and Forres

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 June 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Adam Ross, christening 29 Dec 1811, High St Independent, Gosport, parents Donald Ross and Jean or Jane Ross ... one entry for both forenames ... from IGI index

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 June 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
If he was born in Gosport and later lived in Nairn and Forres, could his father Donald have been a seaman, and if so might there be some records somewhere of his naval service?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 June 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who sent suggestions for Adam Ross and Isabella King.  I already had their date of marriage.....I had been told that the family thought he came from Gosport, but didn't have any documentation for that yet, so thanks  for that information.
-----Already found the information on his first marriage to Isabella Dow, along with the Census giving names of children from that marriage. 
-----Supposedly Donald Ross, the father was in the Inverness-shire Military, and I did find a FootSoldier in the 42nd Battalion in 1805 era for him, just last night.

I was also told, just last night that Donald's wife's name was Jane Russell (which fits in with his granddaughter's name of Jane Russell Ross)....so thanks for mentioning Donald and Jane!
I certainly appreciate all that have helped.  Thanks so much.    Joker   
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.