Author Topic: Harrison  (Read 4245 times)

Offline raphael187

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 June 13 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts, it does appear that it could be him. But I am a little confused as to why the name  Arthur was dropped from the census? perhaps it was a baptism name. Richard West is on the marriage certificate to Elizabeth King but I did not make any connection. :)

How can one trace a marriage of a male person in the household?
The female person can be traced as they quite often marry in the village where they lived.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you considered he may have added Arthur or James to his name?  I can't find a birth record c1850 of an Arthur James Harrison but there are possibilities for an Arthur Harrison and a James Harrison . I can't find a baptism for him, or if they ( Amelia and James) are his parents a marriage that fits.

However in the 1881 census in Richard Wests household Amelia (the mother) has remarried, and is now Amelia Parker. These are her marriage details

Walworth St John the Baptist: 3 Feb. 1873 after Banns

William Nicholson Parker full age widower coachmaker  68 Date Street. Father:William Parker~coachman
Amelia Harrison full age widow 10 Ellis's Square. Father: James Startin~cutler
Witnesses: H.P. Cannon and Amy ?itchell

Then there is this baptism: EMILIA Startin bapt. 1 Aug. 1830 (born 8 June 1830) dau. of James and Eliza Startin, abode Kent Road, fathers occ. Hardware man.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
This is 10 Ellis's Square in 1861 census  ???

Robert Wood McKean Head Mar. 30 Clerk in Law Office  bn. M/sex St Lukes
Amelia               "      wife    "     31                              "  Surrey Newington
James               "      son          11                                      "           "
Amelia              "      dau           10                                     "            "

Class RG 9  Piece  344  Folio  145  Page 33.

claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:14 BST (UK) »
Found the burial record for James Harrison

Walworth St. Peter

James Harrison aged 37years and of Brandon Street (living here in 1851 census) buried 24th December 1851.

claire

Offline raphael187

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your info, you have researched well, it may well connect the missing pieces I need. It would appear that all knew each other.
On the Marriage certificate of A.J.Harrison he was living at 9 Ellis's Square and Elizabeth King lived at 88 Date St! I wonder, is it possible to search street names rather than the person and get a list of all those living in that Street at time of Census?
I have a list of street names from an 1851 map of the areas Walworth, Newington and Lambeth. Ellis's Square was not on the map at that time, so it must have come later as the Town population grew.
It would also appear that having lodgers was a common thing to do for survival.
I do know Cholera was common around 1850, it was discovered in the water supply by a John Snow.
My mother mentioned that the Harrisons were English Jews and Mary Ann Bird Family descendants were from Russian Jews, my cousin Jane whom I spoke to recently thinks that they may have come from Poland. Too many loose ends.:)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think that Find My Past is the site you can search a census by an address.

I can't find Elizabeth King in 1871 census, but just before she died she had a daughter Elizabeth Sarah Harrison (D.O.B 12 May 1877, bapt. 1 June 1877). In the 1881 census she is living with grandparents Joseph and Sarah King in Sudbury Suffolk, although she dies Sept Qtr 1881 aged 4 in Sudbury. The family is consistent with being born and living in Sudbury all through the census's.

claire

Offline raphael187

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 June 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance. I have made contact with the Jewish Genealogy Society who may be able to help. My Mother says that the Harrisons are English Jews and Mary Ann Bird descendants are Russian Jews. :)