Author Topic: Garston (under the bridge) ** Hart ** Harrison Doolan and Mcnamara families  (Read 21904 times)

Offline steve193

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garston (under the bridge) ** Hart ** Harrison Doolan and Mcnamara families
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 December 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello, ive just joined the site ,and noticed under the bridge , garston and macnamara. My grandfather was a samuel reuben macnamara divorced from rose talbot 1947. i never met him but looking through my mums paperwork have come accross some papers. My grandmother rose talbot lived at 2 umbria st then hughes st then highbank drive my mother was called eileen macnamara

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 December 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Steve and welcome to Rootschat ...Eileen doesn`t appear in my McNamara tree,
I only have Denis 1906 / Veronica 1909 and Margaret 1912 in my tree ...
presumably you might have a connection with Angelas McNamara family ... ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 December 13 00:34 GMT (UK) »
My name is Allan Oakes ...dad was les Oakes - brothers Danny /Jimmy - sister Vera ...Allan McCrystal is a good friend of mine - he used to live on Mather Avenue - I heard he split from his Mrs - I presume when he split he went back to his dads house ..I didn`t know that .....my brothers your dad might know - Glynn /Keith /Steven Oakes- cousin Bert Savage ( his mum was Ruth Oakes ...Evan Oakes / Billy Oakes ...loads of them ...dad lived Clarence Grove - then Moss Street ....mum was an Anson from Otway Street ...as a kid I was brought up in Bennett st up the village - live in Wainwright Grove now ....wifes family - mother Rhona Molyneux - brothers Reg Molyneux / Tommy Molyneux and Billy Molynuex ...your dad is bound to know Tommy Molyneux ...he was the Undertaker ...lol
Sorry to but in Alan but just saw a name from the past Bert Savage, was he the Bert that had the white bull terrier knew him years ago when I worked in Garston bottle and the match works he was a mate of Denny Burnett who I used to work with ,we used to go to Burt's house for a cuppa and a chat occasionally .My names Chris also worked in Portus and Rhodes in the 1960s.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 December 13 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes Clwyd ...that`s Bert ( Herbert )..he passed away about 10 years ago .he ended up with his own Garage ...he was my cousin ...his mums maiden name was Ruth Oakes ...his 3 sisters are still alive ......for the record Portus and Rhodes is still going strong ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes Clwyd ...that`s Bert ( Herbert )..he passed away about 10 years ago .he ended up with his own Garage ...he was my cousin ...his mums maiden name was Ruth Oakes ...his 3 sisters are still alive ......for the record Portus and Rhodes is still going strong ...
Thanks Alan I seem to remember he had a Royal Enfield motorbike think it was a 250 cc crusader sports happy days ,yes P&R still see my old boss around the electrical wholesalers. A few lads from under the bridge worked there Roy Lincoln ,Tommy and Peter Farrell, think Roy lived in Canterbury st would be in his 80s if still alive .My Step mum worked in Banks Rd school for several years around 1980s, she was a real old school mistress type no messing from the class she passed away a few years ago . Cheers -- Chris

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello, ive just joined the site ,and noticed under the bridge , garston and macnamara. My grandfather was a samuel reuben macnamara divorced from rose talbot 1947. i never met him but looking through my mums paperwork have come accross some papers. My grandmother rose talbot lived at 2 umbria st then hughes st then highbank drive my mother was called eileen macnamara

Oh I have just found this reply. 
OK I am not sure who is who but think we must be related. 

Straight off the bat I can say its interesting that your Grandfather was 'samuel reuben' as that is supposed to be the name of my grandads uncle (my Great, Great uncle). (Samuel Reuben Patrick Harrison). 
However - I would have thought that Samuel Reuben McNamara was the son of my dads Aunty (my Great Aunty) Emily Jane McNamara (nee Harrison) who married Tommy McNamara - hence the namesake being her uncle? 
But she definitely has no child called Samuel Reuben. 
This McNamara family lived in Shand Street - 2 streets from Hughes street, off King Street.

Weird.

Here is his marriage to Rose in case you want to get the certificate:

Name:    Sumuel R McNamara
Spouse Surname:    Talbot
Date of Registration:    Jul-Aug-Sep 1940
Registration district:    Liverpool
Inferred County:    Lancashire
Volume Number:    8b
Page Number:    712

My dad says Rose Talbots name is very familiar, its driving him mad as he heard her name a million times but can't picture her face.

It gets a bit weirder.

My dads family (Harrisons of vulcan street, later 80 king street - next to hughes street) were close to someone called Simmy Talbot.
So close he was in and out of their house like a family member all the time.

And Simmy Talbot was somehow related to my MOTHERS brothers wifes mum or dad.  Go figure... I haven't got the actual relation... but basically my mums brother is Mick McCrystal, and his wife Maureen (nee Cawardine) from garston, is somehow related to Simmy Talbot.

Lol.  No answers yet but I am on it!
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
WTF

Name:    Samuel R McNamara
Mother's Maiden Surname:    Harrison
Date of Registration:    Oct-Nov-Dec 1919
Registration district:    West Derby
Inferred County:    Lancashire
Volume Number:    8b
Page Number:    1463

My dads aunty emily mcnamara (nee harrison) did not have a child called samuel reuben.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I still do not know exactly whats happened here.
But incidentally found a Samuel R McNamara marrying Margaret Durham in 1953, which could be your grandfathers 2nd marriage.

The older Samuel Reuben Patrick Harrison that I know of, married Sarah Gill in c1895 in Garston; West Derby; Lancashire. 
They had 2 children - Agnes Harrison and another daughter. 
Sarah and the younger daughter died.
Samuel apparently took eldest child Agnes to South Africa in c1915. 
Samuel remarried, had more children, divorced, moved to Burma/India and died there.

It may be that Agnes Harrison (daughter of Samuel Reuben Patrick Harrison and Sarah Gill) returned to Garston as an adult, married a McNamara, and had your Grandad.

In any event with a name like Samuel Reuben Harrison from Garston, this is the right track and this family is the family you're looking to research. x

And more.

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:49 GMT (UK) »
PS in the voters list for garston in 1954, there were 3 voting Talbots in Umbria Street - Henry, Elizabeth and Stanley.

And more.