Author Topic: 'Secrets from the Workhouse' tv programme  (Read 14725 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Secrets from the Workhouse' tv programme
« Reply #54 on: Monday 08 July 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting about the security post, Wendus.    It reminds me of a census entry I had for an ancestor/cousin way back in about 1871.   His occupation was described in this way, too, for a private house.    I wondered at the time what on earth it was all about (he wasn't an ex policeman); he was a picture frame gilder.   I wonder if it was the case that this was seen as a more widespread occupation/housing solution than we might be aware of.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
I had seen people talking about this show on FB and here and so wanted to see it, but living in Canada I couldn't get it, however a fairy delivered to it to me and I was able to see both episodes. 

I found it very interesting and did learn some things from it.

I could maybe see why parents put their children in the Barnardo's Homes and other's rather then in the workhouse.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
Karen, I, like you, understood so much more about the difference of the Barnado's and Workhouse issue. You have worked/researched so much on the Canadian Home Children history. I am really glad you got to see the two eposides. Leaving aside the 'celeb' angles (which I so agree with everyone's comments here, so tired the story), I found the two part programme very interesting.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
I found it quite uncomfortable when Brian Cox started ranting about the injustice of his ancestor being labelled a malingerer, as though it was the researcher's fault.
  Having been away, I've only just watched that episode and I thought he was going totally over the top.  As you say it wasn't the researcher's fault his ancestor had been in and out of the workhouse continuously for many years.  I did think that the researcher was going to agree that he was a malingerer until she saw Brian Cox's face!!

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
Poor old Brian - his family honour being maligned like that!   I remember when reading the poor records for my own lot, one of my ggg grannies was described as being of an 'unreliable character' and, it has to be said, when you see the different stories she gave to the different inspectors, you would have to agree!
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Wendus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Your 'unreliable characters' and 'malingerers' at least had some degree of freedom, unlike one of my poor ancestors ... whose wife had him committed to an asylum when there was nothing really wrong with him other than a bit of depression because someone had robbed him of his money! She then totally ignored him and went and bigamously married someone else! He was in the asylum until he died, with never a visit from anyone, although his eldest son did pass the story on to subsequent generations, so at least someone believed in him  :)

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
That's a really sad story, Wendus.  At least his son was able to pass the truth of it on.
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts