Author Topic: Edwards - Gittins marriage look up  (Read 3582 times)

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwards - Gittins marriage look up
« on: Saturday 15 June 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all, a few of you were very kind in finding out the information in a previous post where I was looking for details of an Edwards and Sandall marriage.

Well during the posts there it was suggested that Sarah Ann Edwards mother could be a Roberts and this is where it isn't adding up.

According to the census 1911 Sarah Ann Edwards mother is a Sarah E but according to my great uncle and my Nain they believe Sarah E was a Gittins from Ysceifiog (could also be Afonwen).  I am on ancestry.co.uk and if I change her name to Gittins I get those handy hints which shows me someone elses family tree with a Sarah E gittins in it.  I obviously want to know which one is right and am edging towards the Gittins as this is the one that the family told me about. I have asked for a marriage lookup as we know who Robert T Edwards dad is and I am hoping that if one can be found this will prove it.

The DOB for Sarah E would be about 1874

Any help in confirming who Sarah E was would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance

Pam
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Brakewell/Breakwell - Lancashire
Sandall-  Flintshire and Lincolnshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards - Gittins marriage look up
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 June 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
So are you saying that a Sarah E Gittins married   (?christian name) Edwards?

Have you checked free bmd for a marriage?  www.freebmd.org.uk

On the 1911 - is Sarah E shown as married/single/widowed?

Do you have a copy of Sarah Ann's birth cert showing her mothers maiden name.  Birth details were given on your previous thread

Link to previous post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,649744.msg4966426.html#msg4966426
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 June 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit tired so I am sorry I wasn't clearer. 
Sarah E married Robert Thomas Edwards. 

I am not very good at finding marriages on freebmd
on the 1911 Sarah E is married

I don't have a copy of Sarah Anns birth certificate, would that show the mothers maiden name? I can order one of those if it does.  I have seen a birth certificate that is basic without many details dated 1973 so I am guessing the original was lost and she requested a new one for some reason.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly :)

Pam
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
That marriage has already been found for you on your previous thread and cannot be looked up as it was a civil marriage

Robert Thomas Edwards married Sarah Ellen Roberts in 1897 in Holywell, in a Civil marriage, so you would need to order their marriage certificate from either the GRO (March Qtr. Holywell Vol.11b page 291) or from the Superintendent Registrar, Flintshire Register Office, Llwynegrin Hall, Mold, Flintshire.
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 13 23:55 BST (UK) »
I know that one was found, but I have heard from the family that Sarah E was a Gittins and not a Roberts. 
That is what I was questioning as the details you have kindly quoted were given but I have also been given the details of Sarah E being a Gittins and not a Roberts.
In Ysceifiog/Afonwen areas I noticed a couple Robert Edwards when I was searching as it seems a popular name there.
I just wanted to be certain, especially after my nain telling me her grandmothers maiden name was Gittins and then my Great Uncle saying the same thing quite seperately.
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 June 13 00:01 BST (UK) »
From the profile you have of Sarah E on the 1911 - have you found a match for the same profile under Sarah Gittins on the 1881 census?

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1321821

If you check freebmd for a Gittins/Edwards marriage - there is only one and that was in Liverpool in 1843

You will need to obtain a copy of Sarah A's birth cert if you are convinced her mothers maiden name was Gittins as none of the info found supports that theory

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 June 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
There is a Sarah Gittins borns at the right time in Mostyn which is not that far away listed on the 1891 census. And just looking at someone else's family tree on Ancestry (found as the site gave me this one as a hint against Sarah E's details) this is the same one they have picked up on which may or may not be the right one.
I'm going to go to bed now and I thank you for your time looking into this :)

Pam
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 June 13 00:17 BST (UK) »
If Sarah E was a widow when she married Robert Edwards - there should be a Sarah Ellen Gittins marriage to ?? Roberts but there isn't.

You say Sarah was only born 1874 and we know the marriage was 1897 so it doesn't leave much time for her to have married Roberts, had daughter Harriet Roberts in 1895, been widowed and then re-married to Edwards

Sarah Ann's birth details are on the previous thread so her birth cert should clear things up.  You need to request a full copy - not the short version.  Cost is £9.25 if ordered via the GRO  but can be dearer if ordered via the local registry office

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 June 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
There is a Sarah Gittins borns at the right time in Mostyn which is not that far away listed on the 1891

She married in 1896 to either Edwin Smith or John Foulkes - see freebmd