Author Topic: Mayo - Lynskey  (Read 12515 times)

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mayo - Lynskey
« on: Sunday 16 June 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for a birth of Peter Joseph Lynskey about 1860 to a Patrick Lynskey and Bridget (something like Cavanaugh)  in County Mayo. 

I don't know how to look or where, or if I have any chance of finding this info. 

Thanks

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo - Lynskey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Never heard of a town or civil parish Cavanaugh. In Mayo Have heard the surname Cavanaugh.
   In Ballinrobe there is a cavan and cavanquqter.
                                  Lep.

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Lep

On no sorry - I meant Bridget's maiden name was something like Cavanaugh - Thanks Lep

Peter Lynskey's son John Redmond Lynsky wrote the song Christmas in Killarney - made famous in the USA by Bing Crosby.  I am thinking that that may be a way to find his Grandparents Patrick and Bridget in Ireland - John became very well known here in the US (NYC) for his singer/songwriter/composer work.  He has over 500 songs on ASCAP and he is a son of Mayo so to speak.......also he wrote religious songs in his later yrs.  Any ideas?
Mary

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
 Hello Mary,
      Your John Redmond Lynskey was indeed a remarkable man I see he was born in 1906.and grew
up in Clinton MA.
       So you say Bridget the G/Mother was a nee Cavanaugh. What proof do you have that the G/Parents were born in Mayo.
Peter Lynskey was the son of Patrick and Bridget nee Cavanaugh Peter's son was John Redmond Lynskey. Have I got that right :D
                         Lep:

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
There is a Peter Lynskey born in Mayo in 1856 to a PL and BL - http://www.mayoancestors.com/default.aspx?SID=1256804&Type=BI
This is a pay per view site.  The PL could stand for Patrick Lynskey, however, the BL looks like it could be Bridget Lynskey, i.e. the priest did not give the mother's maiden name, just her married name.  There is a search for marriages on this site as well but I could not find a marriage between a Patrick Lynskey and a Bridget.

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 13 18:16 BST (UK) »

Yes Lep - you got that right.

The one shred of evidence I have is a son of Peter, Paul Joseph Lynskey said his father was born in County Mayo on his WWI Draft Registration. 

I am thinking that somehow the news of John's music made it back home to their hometown.  MAYBE.

His religious music put the Sacraments to music and he was recognized by citation by the Cardinal in Boston MA - he created quite a stir in the Catholic Church by making music of Tin Pan Alley Style Children's religious music to bring the children back to the church - late 1950's. 

Yes John one of 11 children grew up in Clinton MA - it sounds as if you know of Clinton - maybe you saw my tree on ancestry.......

Murney:

I will try to check that link you sent.  Thank you.  I appreciate your help.

-Mary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 June 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

is that Peter who married Sarah Rowbottom in Oldham? He is Peter William on his marriage certificate. For Mayo researchers, his father is Patrick Linskey, shepherd, deceased.

Just noticed that is your tree  :)

I think I also saw a published tree which said that Bridget was Foy.  :-\

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nycnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 June 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

Yes thanks for your help too - Yes - both my entries - I was just trying the name Foy - did not know it was still there online - thanks - a Jennie Foy that I cannot locate was my Gram's Maid of Honor - so I thought maybe Bridget maiden name might be Foy - a long shot - yes - I know - I am relatively new at this game so forgive me........

I am just trying whatever I can to find their home in Ireland - yes so Peter left Ireland at some point and looked for work in England.........he knocked on the door of Thomas Rowbottom looking for a room to rent......my Great Gram Sarah Rowbottom answered the door and yelled to her Dad Thomas - "He's here"..................she loved to tell the story..........not the man looking to rent a room but rather 'the man she would soon marry' or so the family story goes......  I do not know if Patrick and Bridget were in England - they may have died there in England - seems to make sense - they left Ireland as a family then Peter married Sarah Rowbottom in Oldham England 1886 and then they got on the boat to America also in 1886..........Sarah's sister Elizabeth was caught up in a family scandal - her 1st husband already had a 1st wife and 9 other children - he went to jail for 5 yrs.  I do have 5 press pieces about the bigamy but they are not in my tree yet that a friend sent to me from England.   - Mary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 June 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
What a lovely story about their meeting  :)

I can't see any Lynskey/Linskey in the Tonge area in 1881 or 1891. The address has Irish born folk/lodgers in 1881 and in 1891 is classed as a lodging house. I was hoping that someone would be from Mayo.
Tonge was in the Oldham registration district but is part of Middleton and they married in St Peter's Middleton.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk