Author Topic: Genetic Split Across Offas Dyke  (Read 11253 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Split Across Offas Dyke
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 December 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
http://www.castlewales.com/offa.html
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/offasdyke/article.asp?PageId=3&ArticleId=61

I can't do much about what was displayed on Dr Grierson's laptop but I wouldn't be surprised if North Wales was studied in particular because South Wales saw a large influx of English people to the coal mines and iron foundries during the Industrial Revolution. Hence, North Wales contains more men that belong to  "Old Welsh" lines than South Wales does.
It would have been helpful though if he had said so! Common fault I find with Academics in general.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 December 13 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I think that it is generally known that South Wales inhabitants are not all 'Welsh' by ancestry.
My Mum's family is from South Wales and she has Irish, English, Welsh and Greek ancestry.
Cardiff inhabitants came from all over the world.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 December 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I think that it is generally known that South Wales inhabitants are not all 'Welsh' by ancestry.

Nor are the North Welsh if you go back a bit further!  ;)  L21/S145 is not a Welsh mutation per se, most think it is Central European, i.e. France, Germany, Switzerland, in origin.

The question is when did different L21 people arrive in Britain. Seeing as L21 is more frequent West of the Anglo-Saxon built Offas Dyke, the inference is that L21 was more common in Pre-Anglo-Saxon Britains than in Post-Anglo-Saxon ones.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Good map showing the distribution of L21 in Europe(from Eupedia):

Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline Ivor33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 February 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Actually, there has been quite a few tests carried out in the South of Wales over the last few years. The migration story is a bit over exaggerated to.

Genetic tests released by Wellcome Trust in 2012 revealed that many South Welsh are also indigenous. And apparently there has been less immigration into Wales than anywhere else.

There are thousands of new genetic tests being carried out by Cymru/Wales DNA. And the South will be included to. According to the results so far, there are remnants of the Pioneers who migrated into Britain after the ice melted found in Wales, especially the South region. But it seems as if there is a strong genetic connection with the later Neolithic Beaker People.

I will dig out a few links soon!

Offline Ivor33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 February 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Here's one link concerning the results of Wellcome Trust - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18489735

Offline Ivor33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 February 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ivor33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 February 15 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Actually, there has been quite a few tests carried out in the South of Wales over the last few years. The migration story is a bit over exaggerated to. Not all of South Wales is Cardiff.

Genetic tests released by Wellcome Trust in 2012 revealed that many South Welsh are also indigenous. And apparently there has been less immigration into Wales than anywhere else.

There are thousands of new genetic tests being carried out by Cymru/Wales DNA. And the South will be included to. According to the results so far, there are remnants of the Pioneers who migrated into Britain after the ice melted found in Wales, especially the South region. But it seems as if there is a strong genetic connection with the later Neolithic Beaker People.

Wellcome Trust - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18489735

This is the most interesting - http://www.s4c.co.uk/cymrudnawales/e_index.shtml

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The Origins of the British by Stephen Oppenheimer traces the DNA history of Britain and is very interesting. My 7th cousins are organising the DNA project for my mother's family, Broadley (includes  related people named Bradley) and they are L21. The Broadley family comes from Halifax in Yorkshire. claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)