Author Topic: King family  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King family
« on: Monday 17 June 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
I'm now trying to look at other members of the family as I've hit a brick wall with my great grandfather.

He was the son of William Alkin King.

William A was the son of William ( born 02/02/1756) Married Dorothy Dixon  18/11/1791 and he died circa 1831.

William senior had a brother Michael (born 05/08/1758) died circa 1813. Did he marry and have children? Where did he live?

Both William & Michael were the sons of  Michael ( born circa 1713 died circa 1787) and i believe he married  Ann Alkin on 26/10/1752.

All marriages took place in Holy Trinity in Whitehaven.

Where did the latter Michael come from and where did he live? Did they only have the two sons?

Grateful for any snippets of information.

Regards

jardiner

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: King family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Some KING burials at Whitehaven HT
1 Sept 1832 Dorothy (75)
8 Feb 1834 Jane (66)
19 Dec 1832 William (76)
21 July 1825 Jane (15)

I only have access to 1817-37 WHT burials.

This marriage seems to fit https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKYV-C45

Various baptisms here http://tinyurl.com/lhdd52p
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi jardiner,
I can help you out with 3 burials at Holy Trinity, Whitehaven:-
01/09/1832, Dorothy KING, aged 75
19/12/1832, William KING, aged 76
08/02/1834, Dorothy KING, aged 66
No sign of Michael.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Geoff and Victor- I shall add this to my ever growing file of names and dates.

jardiner

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since I did some family research and I've now taken an interest in it again I have many loose ends which need tidying-up.

1. William Alkin King married Agnes Hodgson on 16/08/1832 in Whitehaven. the marriage was witnessed by Bridgit King and R F King. Bridgit I know was William's sister but alas I can't find a connection with R F King. ( 'R' I assume is for Robert as the name does appear in later years for other members but 'F' has me baffled). I've located a couple of Roberts in Whitehaven but there is no clear evidence to link them to William.

2. William King (not as above but either his father or uncle) was, as records show, a cabinet maker and glass manufacturer in 1793. In 1805-1808 he and Michael King were in partnership as looking-glass  mfr, carvers, guilders and cabinet makers at an address in Kings Street, Whitehaven and in 1811 William was again a sole trader  but operating from Lowther Street which is where William A continued the business until 1865.

Can anyone out there throw any light on any of the above?

Does anyone have a piece of furniture with a label adhered to it advertising the fact that is was made by W&M King. ( This practice was apparently rare so they must have been very proud of their workmanship?

Regards

ME King

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I think this might be R F KING:
KING, ROBERT  FRANCIS     44     
 1847  M Quarter in WHITEHAVEN  Volume 25  Page 172

He's listed on the 1841 census as R F KING in St Bees...a surgeon...with two sisters (Bridget and Sarah).

Maureen

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maureen.

that's the one I have but alas there is nothing concrete to tie him in with William. The problem is there are other King families in the town and whilst Bridgit is listed I can't find the other sister. In order to try and link them together I've gone for common names throughout the family and Francis is not one of them but, looking at the other families it's more likely them. The trade does not bother me as people do not always follow family trades.

ME King