Author Topic: William Grant 1874  (Read 4425 times)

Offline alycats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Grant 1874
« on: Monday 17 June 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Although this man (my great g'father) is not old relatively speaking, he is proving to be the end of my line. I have him registered as born in Scotland in 1873/4 and his marriage certificate shows his father to be Robert Grant. My father believes William was born in Stonehaven but I am struggling to locate him other than in England following his marriage to Jane Whitehead in Lancashire 3/7/1901.
I have no further information from before his marriage. His children were James Newsome Grant, Helen Grant (my grandmother) and Clarice May Grant.
Can anyone help?

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Grant 1874
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

What was Roberts occupation on Williams marriage cert? Does it state whether Robert was alive or deceased?

What was Williams occupation?

Norma

Offline alycats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in reply but have had distractions and not been doing much in the way of my family tree.
William was a tobacconist at the time of his death but fleet engineer at the time of his marriage.
Robert is not stated as deceased on the marriage certificate therefore I assume he was alive. He is noted to be a builder.
Don't know if this will be of any help to you but hope so?
Thanks.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is your man but there is a William Grant in the 1891 census who is described as a mechanical engineer who has a father named Robert who is a road surveyor and farmer. This William was born about 1871 in Coupar Angus.

Norma

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Another one to check out as a possible for William's father?
I don't have a subscription, but A……. has a Robert Grant on both the 1861 and 1871 census returns as born 1855 Stonehaven residence Kincardineshire.  He is there again in 1901 listed with a Margaret W this time the residence is Midlothian.

Hopefully "Newsome" will turn out to be a clue at some stage.

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne