Author Topic: Help needed RE Rowans and Nolans in Athy  (Read 8468 times)

Offline moonchops

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed RE Rowans and Nolans in Athy
« on: Monday 17 June 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me in my search for my Irish GGrandparents as I'm really stuck.

My grandfather was James Joseph Nolan born 1913 in Athy. I have a print out of his birth details from the parish records in Athy when my mother visited there. This details his parents as
James Nolan and Elizabeth Rouan. I know that my grandfather had a 1 sister only, known as Molly.

I found a 1911 census entry for a James and Elizabeth Nolan with a daughter called Mary, living in Athy. This states that James was 30, Elizabeth 28, Mary 1. All Catholic, all born in Athy.

I found my GGGrandfather James on the 1901 census, living in Athy but am unable to locate any mention at all of Elizabeth anywhere.

I know that the name Rowan has many different spellings. I found James Nolan and 'Eliza' Rowan's marriage record for 1908. I have searched endlessly on all variations of the name, even looking through all Elizabeths and Elizas in Kildare to no avail.

I did find a baptism entry on Rootsireland for an Elizabeth Rouen in Athy but this was in 1876 which would put the Elizabeth I found on the 1911 census the wrong age (by 7 years).

I'd really like to find the names of Elizabeth's parents if possible but I'm at a dead end. I will order the marriage certificate from Ireland for Elizabeth and James to give the name of her father but wondered in the meantime if anyone out there was possibly able to help? I'd be really grateful as my Mum knows next to nothing about her Irish ancestry as her father was a secretive man (he arrived one day back to their house in England with a small Irish child 12 years old and announced she was my Mum's cousin and she lived with the family for years but he would give no further details, for example!).

Yours hopefully,

:)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed RE Rowans and Nolans in Athy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
The place to start is with that marriage cert, as it should show the couples father's names and occupations as well as current residences for the bride and groom, all of which can be good clues to follow up on.

Names of witnesses can also help, as they can be siblings or other relatives.

census return for reference : Nolan household, Meeting lane, Athy town

(place of birth stated as 'County Kildare' for all of the family)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline moonchops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, i'll do just that.  I do wish it was easier to order certs online - I'll have to go down the paper route, I guess - just a bit reluctant to put my credit card details on a form in the post but needs must!   :-\

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
there's a big discrepancy in age, but might just be possible for your Elizabeth on the 1901 census, as she's a servant rather than a member of the family .. or she may have deliberately under estimated her age for later records like the 1911 census....

An Elizabeth Rohan, age 23, born Athy, Co. Kildare with a household in Carlow town.

Clowry / Rohan household
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline moonchops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Oooh! now that's a very interesting entry and one I managed to miss - thank you for that - it looks like a strong possibility and yet another spelling of the pesky Rowan name!  :)

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if you noticed but on FamilySearch.org when you search for the marriage details for Rowan 1908 Athy, there is a record for a Mary Rowan that has the same volume and page numbers as the record for Eliza.  I have checked on FindMyPast as well and there is definitely a second record with the same numbers.  I've had a look on the census and there is a Mary Rowan in Kildare in 1901 aged 16.  Could it be that Mary and Elizabeth are the same person but she was baptised Mary and went by the name Elizabeth?  Considering the first child of James and Elizabeth was called Mary it might be a possibility.

The marriage cert should clarify it though.

LostandFound

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Just thinking if you are ordering a marriage cert you may have to be very specific about the names you are looking for (as in Eliza v Mary) but someone else with more experience might be able to offer advice here.

LostandFound

Offline moonchops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that L&F - much appreciated. I'd spotted Mary in the marriage records and was intrigued - guess I'll have to wait until the cert arrives before I know more - am hopping from foot to foot with impatience! :)

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you get any marriage details from the parish office in Athy?  I live about half an hour from there so would be happy to help with any local research.

Regards
LostandFound