Author Topic: Old Pox Hospital, Aberdeen  (Read 11655 times)

Offline AbzCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Old Pox Hospital, Aberdeen
« on: Tuesday 18 June 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

In my family tree I have a George Massie (1846-1923) who lived at the "Old Pox Hospital" in Aberdeen. The street address is given as 872 Great Northern Road which puts it around the area of the Haudigan roundabout.

I can't find any reference to the Old Pox Hospital anywhere so I was wondering if anyone had any information on it?

Many thanks
Chris
Looking for Massies, Gammies, and Baillies in Aberdeen and shire.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pox Hospital, Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Have just asked my OH, who has lived here in Australia for many years, but has good memories of the Haudigan roundabout area in the 50's, 60's, 70's.  He can't remember "Old Pox Hospital", in fact no hospitals in that area at all.   - Can I ask where did you get George Massie's address?  On death entries it is quite common to name the Hospital where the person might have died, followed by "Usual residence"........ street address.   Could it be that the "Old Pox hospital" was a nickname of a hospital with another formal name?  And could the Great Northern Road Address, be George's usual residence?  Google street view gives only one group of older houses - the rest being newer housing areas. 
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Another thought - the "Old Pox Hospital" would appear to signify infectious diseases.  My OH says that the City Hospital (still listed at Urquhart Road Aberdeen AB24 5AU) was the only infectious disease hospital he knew of.  Just realised that you are actually in Aberdeen - so you may be aware of all this.   Anyway - good luck with your research!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline AbzCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
If I recall correctly, the Old Pox Hospital was actually recorded in the 1901 national census data.

George's death record states that he died at 872 Great Northern Road - no mention of a hospital at all. Similarly, I have valuation rolls from 1905 and 1915 that show him living at number 872.

You're correct about City Hospital (built in 1874) but this is some distance from Great Northern Road and I'm not aware of it having had a nickname. The only other thing I've come across is that there was a temporary hospital (I think it was for TB) set up at Mounthooly. Unfortunately, at the other end of Great Northern Road!

Most confusing! Thank you though maggbill!

Chris

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there Chris,
Still searching.. and may have found something - it is on a website which is somewhat hard to view.. the link is http://mcjazz.f2s.com/Mounthooly.htm
It has old photos of Aberdeen and it also has a bit about a "Small Pox Hospital"...  but this might have been temporary - in the 1870's? lol..... anyway if you haven't seen the website it might be worth trying.
it says
Mounthooley Small Pox Hospital
1872 - 1875 Mounthooly Smallpox Hospital was a temporary hospital, opened to deal with the smallpox epidemics that afflicted Aberdeen in the early 1870s.  As the managers of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary could not  provide accommodation for the number of inhabitants infected with the disease in December 1871, responsibility fell to Aberdeen Town Council as the local authority under the Public Health (Scotland) Act 1867.  The Town Council opened the Hospital in January 1872 in adapted premises at Mounthooly formerly occupied by the Bon-Accord Chemical Light Company.  The Hospital was placed under the management of the Medical Officer of Health and initially employed 14 members of staff.  The hospital remained in use only during epidemics: from January to August 1872, April to  October 1874, and December 1874 to 16 June 1875.  By the outbreak of the next smallpox epidemic in July 1877 a permanent hospital for infectious diseases, later known as the City Hospital, had been erected by the Town Council.  The temporary hospital buildings at Mounthooly were sold off in 1882.

Could this be the one you are looking for?

Online Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
What is the record which says he was living at the 'Old Pox Hospital' and when does it date from?  Like the others have said, there was the Smallpox Hospital at Mounthooly, but it was only in operation for a limited time.

What is 872 Gt Northern Road described as on the valuation roll?  House, shop, etc?  Also, the numbers of Great Northern Road have changed over time, so it might not be where it is showing as now...just to add to the confusion!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
Being from Aberdeen, this one has caught my interest. The 1901 census states that the "Massie" family's address is "Old Pox Hospital G Northern Rd" in the parish of Woodside. I have talked to the acrhivist at aberdeen this morning, and am going into see some other records. I have mentioned the Old Pox Hospital, and she is going to have a look for said prior to my visit. I will update you when I know more.

Regards

Malky

Offline AbzCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there Chris,
Still searching.. and may have found something - it is on a website which is somewhat hard to view.. the link is http://mcjazz.f2s.com/Mounthooly.htm

Thanks maggbill, I am familiar with the website and have contacted the owner about this but he is unable to shed any light either!

As Malky states the 1901 census has the Massie family at the "Old Pox Hospital G Northern Rd". In the 1891 census the address is 49 Auchmill Road which is even further from Mounthooly (or at least it is now)!

In the 1905 Valuation Roll, 872 Gt Northern Rd is described as a house. I'm unable to find the Massie's in the 1895 VRs. There are two but they don't fit with the families movements around that time (Leadside Road or the High Street in Old Aberdeen).

Thanks Malky, I would be very interested in what the Archivist has to say.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
Well, there's bad news and there's good news. At the archives this morning, we could find no trace of "The Old Pox Hospital". I did find mention of 3 others which I did not know of.
Gt Northern Road was renamed from Barron Street.
On coming home, while further searching, I found a mention of the "Woodside Epidemic Hospital" in Hansard. I have notified the archivist, and she is looking at the valuation rolls under that name.
This may be the place. We shall have to wait and see.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1886/mar/16/public-health-scotland-smallpox-at

Regards

Malky