Author Topic: Houston Families from Scotland  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Allan the Jambo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Houston Families from Scotland
« on: Tuesday 18 June 13 13:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me, or point me in the right direction to gain more info on the following 'Houstons'
James Houston born 5th Oct 1906 in Leven Fife, son of Robert Houston and Jessie Ogilvie, went out to Canada about 1924.No more info.
James Houston born 4th Apr 1871, Dalry, kirkcudbright, son of Janet McKie, married Isabella Ballantyne 26th Aug 1910, indian Head Sask and died 08th Aprl 1947 in Indian Head.
John Houston born 3rd Apr 1885 in New Galloway, Kirkcudbright son of Mary Mundell Houston.
John went out about 1904, came back to marry Agnes Hunter 14th Nov 1913 in Banks Dairy, Kirkcudbright, then went straight back out.
This is the only info i have,
Thanks
Allan

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Families from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
This isn't much help, but:
James Houston, head, born April 1871, Scotland, Farmer
Bella Houston, wife, born Sep 1880, Scotland
Written under James and Bella (not necessarily in the same household?)
Wm Ballantyne, domestic, born Oct 1880, Scotland
John Houston, domestic, born Nov 1891, Scotland
There is more on the image, but it is difficult to read, and I would rather not guess
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0upf/
District: Qu'Appelle, Province: Saskatchewan

Note:  You may view the image by "pulling down" on the split screen, and you can enlarge the image near the bottom, right of the image.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
Similar post about James and Isabella (from 2010):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=502106.0
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Allan the Jambo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Lisa, every little bit of info helps.
Gives me something else to look at back here in
Bonny Scotland.

Allan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
There is a family tree on ancestry (if you don't have a subscription try their free companion site Mundia) for James Gillespie Houston with parents of Robert and Jessie.  He died in 1970 in Swift Current.  Married Clara Admiral in 1930.  Clara born Holland 1903 and died 1997.  2 daughters, Evelyn (1932-1975) and Helen (1934-1975).  No spouses shown for the daughters.

When James G. Houston arrived in Canada he was going to his uncle James Houston in Kendal Saskatchewan.

Offline Allan the Jambo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Cosmac

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Another family tree has a page taken from a local family history book on Indian Head.  If you want to send me your email via PM I will send it to you - to not break copyright rules.  I tried to find the book at Our Roots but couldn't. 
James and Bella Houston did not have any family.  They farmed in the Kendal, Saskatchewan district until 1929 and then moved to a farm south of Indian Head.  When Jim became ill they moved into the town and he died April 8, 1947.  Bella continued to live in Indian Head, doing housework and looking after elderly people in their homes.  When she became ill she was forced into hospital care and died July 9, 1968.  The only relation they had was nephew James.  This James worked in the Kendall district and married Clara in May 1930.  Four children were born to this couple.  Before marriage Clara had been a teacher at Silver Vaslley and Mayerling districts.  After marriage they moved to Regina.  3 girls and 1 boy - the boy named after his grandfather.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
John Houston and wife Agnes settled in Montreal and had four children.  John died in 1940 at St. Anne de Bellevue.  I've sent some images of birth and death registrations.  One of the boys, Allan Dale, died in a BC plane accident (WWII) and McGill University has some information on its web page about him.  Haven't found Agnes' death or any further information on son James Hunter b. 1914, daughter Jean Wilson b. 1915 or daughter D.A. b. 1926.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 02:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.mcgill.ca/macdonald/sites/mcgill.ca.macdonald/files/may_2013_devotion_to_dairy.pdf
This refers to Jim Houston managing the farm for years as his father before him did.