Author Topic: Trooper J Tyson Lloyd d 1917 Henllan Amgoed  (Read 10361 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trooper J Tyson Lloyd d 1917 Henllan Amgoed
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Crunwere

Good Luck in your search.

Now,i know where Hellan Amgoed Church is,what a sorrowful state,i could have cried, but racking my brain as to where the Chapel is.

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Fortunately his Pension records have survived and are held by the National Archives. The following key points appear in his records:

Enlisted in the Welsh Horse, Territorial Force as 435 Tyson Lloyd on 10 September 1914 aged 19 years, two months. Height 5’ 3”. Groom. Employer: Dr J Thomas, Hillside, Whitland. Next of kin: Mrs A Lloyd, Trevaughan Terrace, Whitland.

Home Service 10.9.14 – 2.9.15
Mediterranean Expeditionary Force 3.9.15 – 8.2.16
Home Service 9.2.16 – 7.7.16 (4th London General Hospital 9.2.16 – 6.4.16. Declared permanently unfit 24.3.16. Tuberculosis diagnosed, approved for sanatorium treatment.
 Udal Torre (?) Sanatorium, Yelverton, Devon, until discharged 7. 7.16 “being no longer fit for war service”and granted pension of 25 shillings per week.

The above is only my reading of his record. There is a little more medical information which I could not read.

I have to say that as far as I am aware gas was never used as a weapon in Gallipoli.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Imber - most helpful.  No idea about gassing myself but that is the wording on the War Memorial.

Pictures attached show the large war memorial, a close up and the large well cared for chapel.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Crunwere

Thanks for the link.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline welshhorseman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in the posts on J T Lloyd. I run a cavalry display group called the Welsh Horse, based near Llandeilo, and have done masses of research into those who served in the regiment, including two days spent at the National Library of Wales recently. I had no record of Pte Lloyd, and am interested to see that his rank is recorded as Trooper. Even when the regiment was mounted, references to 'Trooper' are very rare. Thank you for all the information on him. I will try to visit the chapel soon. Even though the CWGC does not commemorate him, he is now included in my Roll of Honour which currently numbers about 152 WH soldiers.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Welshhorseman - lovely to hear he has been added to your list.

I did post our query about the whereabouts of his grave in the Welsh Cardi Bach paper but had no response.

I will also be sending you a personal message.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 April 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Well John Tyson Lloyd had his official recognition as a war casualty last year but unfortunately we still cannot find his burial.

I realised Dyfed FHS had the MI recorded and a kind lady checked Henllan chapel for me - so although on the War Memorial there he did not have a gravestone.

He is recorded on the Find A Grave website but only his military service - so his resting place is still unknown.  Also checking online newspapers does not show any reference to him - a mystery.

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
I found a couple of newspaper references on the Welsh Newspapers Online site - the first suggests another possible location.  In the Carmarthen Journal & S Wales Weekly Advertiser 14 Feb 1908 "Mr John Tyson LLoyd" is mentioned as the secretary of an eisteddfod held at Ebenezer Chapel Ammanford the previous Christmas Day.  Also a reference in a report of a meeting of agents of the Wesleyan & General Assurance Society, Llanelli Mercury & S Wales Advertiser 14 April 1910.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.