Author Topic: This is a treasure hunt - "Help me find Jane?"  (Read 22656 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: This is a treasure hunt - "Help me find Jane?"
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 09:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Jane remarried a third time under her maiden name

ANDERSON Jane m. GILLESPIE John 1855 #612

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Does anyone know where this John Gillespie came from?[/color], or how long he'd been in Australia? EB

Sorry earlybird we skimmed over your post.  Perhaps you should start a separate topic giving all the info you have on your John Gillespie.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all your help and all the extra information about Jane and her family.

I have written a summary for Nepean Historical Society and they now want me to write it up in more detail with all the footnotes and original references. I am planning on doing that next week as I have some time off work at the moment.

I will of course be attributing it to you guys and Rootschat. I will only be using your usernames, but if you don't want to be mentioned please PM me so I won't include you.

Thanks again for your help. It was amazing what we all found.

Cheers, Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MeaganCatto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Glad it's been a success for you, Ted!   :D

I’ve now found the deaths of Peter GILLESPIE’s wife Arabella, and most of their children….

Arabella GILLESPIE aged 69 died in 1926 at IWOOD
Father = Wm HALL & Mother = Elizth Clare LAMBERT
Ref = 14306

John Lambert GILLESPIE aged 66 died in 1948 at IWOOD
Father = Peter GILLESPIE & Mother = Arabella HALL
Ref = 20955

Clare Kaye LONG aged 61 died in 1951 at N BTON
Father = Peter GILLESPIE & Mother = Arabella HALL
Ref = 4164

Hugh Rolston GILLESPIE aged 64 died in 1957 at MORN
Father = Peter & Mother = Arabella  HALL
Ref = 20185

Eleanor Florence CATTO died in 1983 at EMU
Father = Petir GILLESPIE & Mother = Arabella
Ref = 20766

Alan Ellis GILLISPIE aged 62 died in 1950 at MTON
Father = Peter & Mother = Arabella  HALL
Ref = 21401

Wouldn't it be great if a descendant got in touch! 

Dee   :)

Eleanor Florence CATTO - was my great grandmother.  finding this all very interesting. My Grandmother researched CATTO history extensively and wrote a book. i can now see why!

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 20 September 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Jane remarried a third time under her maiden name

ANDERSON Jane m. GILLESPIE John 1855 #612

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Does anyone know where this John Gillespie came from?[/color], or how long he'd been in Australia? EB

Sorry earlybird we skimmed over your post.  Perhaps you should start a separate topic giving all the info you have on your John Gillespie.

cheers,
   Ros

I know I'm a bit after the fact but I can supply plenty of information on John Gillespie if you are still interested.

Liz

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry I haven't answered every ones posts.

Yes Liz anything you have can be added to this post.

thank you for getting in touch

Cheers, Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of information on John Gillespie. My husband is G Grandson of the Peter and Arabella Gillespie named in a previous post. We're on holiday at the moment but we're back next week and I will respond with some details then. How much and what type of info do you want?

Liz

Offline balliang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:44 GMT (UK) »
G'day All
I wonder if Liz is still about re her husbands Gillespie connection information?
I may have inadvertently started this thread with my research into the ship SEA and James MacKay, who married Jane Taylor in 1853 in Melbourne then got himself killed in the wreck of his ship the SEA a few days after his marriage to Jane. Jane then married John Gillespie.
I was wondering if any stories may have been handed down through the family re Janes marriage to MacKay, and any reasons why she was not on the SEA with her husband when it sailed for Callao in Peru, and was wrecked on Nepean Reef, Port Philip Bay on May 31st 1853?
Bob

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, just catching up. Here is a potted version.

John Gillespie came to Australia from Scotland in 1852 on the Merlin. (His brother went to America.) He settled in Ephinstone Victoria married Jane Anderson in 1855. His father died in 1857 and he went back to Scotland and returned with his mother in 1862 on the Zoboah.

John and Jane had 3 children; Peter b:1856   Isabella b:1858 and John b:1860 (died the same year)

Jane Anderson died in 1867. John married Sarah Kaye Thompson in 1877.

John Gillespie died in Canada in 1894 aged 67. There's a story around why he was in Canada but I won't bore you with it. There is a Gillespie grave marker mentioning John, his brother Peter, his father John and their mother Jane Gillespie (buried in Bendigo cemetery Victoria) in a cemetery in Maitland Ontario.

Any other specific info anyone would like?

Offline balliang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 27 January 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
G'day and thanks Liz.
My main interest in Gillespie is that Jane married John after the death of James MacKay, captain of the ship SEA. I am writing a book about the SEA. James left the SEA anchored off Shortlands Bluff [Queenscliff], went to Melbourne with Jane, I believe, but returned to the SEA about 6 days later. Not sober and without Jane, he ordered the SEA to be made ready to sail, stating only that 'he would show them what the SEA could do'! Later that evening the SEA was totally wrecked on Nepean Reef at the 'Heads' of Port Philip Bay, killing himself and seventeen other hands.
Why was Jane not with James when he returned to the SEA?
Have any stories been handed down through the Gillespie family about Jane and James?

There is a lot more to be told about the Sea and those involved with her while she was in Melbourne in 1853, and the James/Jane story will assist make it an even more interesting story!
I wonder if there are family stories that have survived the years?

any assistance will be appreciated.

cheers...........Bob