Author Topic: Eyre, Newton Solney  (Read 5721 times)

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eyre, Newton Solney
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 June 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
And to DerbysDerek - I think it probably is Stanton By Bridge although there is of course Stanton on the A444 near Swadlincote, Stanton near Ilkeston and Stanton in the Peak to name but a few.  if you could look at your Stanton by Bridge info I'd be very grateful.  My email is godfrey.elandATgmail.com

Many thanks

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 June 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
A further thought regarding the apparent "double" census entries in 1861.

Given that "30" is most likely actually "38" (see comment by hanes teulu) we have the following coincidences between the two 1861 entries:

John Eyre - same age, same occupation, wife has same given name Ann. 

Also the Derby 1861 entry has children which tally with the 1871 census which we believe is the same family as the 1861 Newton Solney people.

I'm sure there are too many similarities here - somehow John has managed to be recorded twice.  I suspect he had only just married Ann and they had not yet managed to set up home together.  He was staying with his parents in Newton Solney where his work was, whilst Ann was still in Derby with some of the children.

All supposition but it makes sense.

Offline Bryan John Chinn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 December 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Eyre family of Newton Solney particularly the family of John Eyre, a wheelwright, born 1823.  If anyone has any information I would be most gratef

I have not been on the site for a long time...my grandmother Sarah Ann Jordan nee Eyre dies 1924 before I was born...I have researched the Eyres and have a lot of info.....re. the query about ANN...this is certainly Ann Hallam of Stanton by bridge..... and most of the Newton Solney Eyres migrated to Stretton from NS, and this is a bit of a mystery, One" Stretton" Eyre has recently returned to NS, but does not wish to talk about it.    I have copies of WM Eyres will and Auction details and do you know that they are mentioned in the Newton Solney history book by Maxwell Craven?