Author Topic: "Annals of Sanquhar" by Tom Wilson  (Read 13087 times)

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Annals of Sanquhar" by Tom Wilson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi lyncat,
many thanks for reply, however, it seems, not my Wilson,
Mathew Wilson b1822 d 1892 in Townhead Leadhills,buried along side his wife Jane Otto Watson in Leadhills cemetery, the headstone is fine and still legible.
Cheers

Offline lyncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Your welcome

Offline Caines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I believe I'm a decendent of William  Wilson + Elisabeth Ramage too . My 3rd GT grandmother was Christian Wilson ( Watson) bn. 1786 in Wanlockhead. I traced her through her niece Marion, staying with her during the 1851 Census, which I'm guessing is when her mother Agnes Bone died.

Any information on the family would be greatly appreciated or a Iink to a tree ? etc
I would love to get copies extracts or a look at these books if poss. though get that that is highly unlikely.
Don B. NZ

Any

Offline Caines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 August 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyncat

I believe I'm a descendant of William  Wilson + Elisabeth Ramage. My 3rd GT grandmother was Christian Wilson ( Watson) bn. 1786 in Wanlockhead.   I was looking for her parents but there seems to be no surviving records. So found her niece Marion Wilson (also bn Wanlockhead -1837)staying with the family in the 1851 census. Traced Marion back to be Mathew Wilson & Agnes Bones daughter, Who appears in the 1841 census with the family, but is absent in the 1851 Census. Agnes appears to have died around this time.
Any information on the family would be greatly appreciated. How does William Wilson tie back to thomas?
I would love to get copies extracts or a look at these books if poss. though get that that is highly unlikely to be possible.
Thanks
Don B. NZ

Hi Lud
I checked the book memorials of Sanquhar Kirkyard by Tom Wilson published in 1912 which mentions his father direct descendant of Mathew Wilson all it says on him is he had a lease in lead mines in 1692 in Wanlockhead.Robert Wilson was a native of Wanlockhead and the son of William Wilson there. They were direct descendants of Matthew Wilson, who in the 17th century migrated from Allendale in Northumberland and settled in Wanlockhead here he obtained a 19 year lease on the mines.
 Tom Wilson's father William Wilson born 31/10/1830 in Sanquhar High Street, and died 4th January 1908 his mother Agnes M'Cririck who died 7th April 1910. William Wilson is buried in the cemetery at Sanquhar grave #506 I have to been to it. The visitors guide from 1886 by William Wilson I haven't found anything in it yet but will keep looking I hope this helps you

copyright images removed by moderator

Offline NeillWilsonZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone,

I came across the following link whilst searching for information on my 4th great-grandfather Charles Wilson... and was directed to this thread by another user who was assisting me in finding information. Hopefully it helps some of you who were looking for information on William Wilson & Elisabeth Ramage.

https://www.carsphairn.org/CarsphairnArchive/items/show/1094

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 10:36 GMT (UK) »
It might be of interest to the descendants of the Wilson family to know that there are some photos of members of this family in a booklet on Sanquhar and Wanlockhead. This is called Through the Lens 8, Glimpses of old Sanquhar, Wanlockhead and District.

This has a photo titled The Old Men of Sanquhar, taken in 1894. It includes William Wilson with a number of other local older men.

There are also photos of John Wilson and J.I. Wilson with Wanlockhead Curling Skips dated 1912. They look remarkably similar, so I suspect they are related.

This booklet is available in the Sanquhar Council offices at the moment. Please let me know if you would like further information. It has some lovely old photos of these areas in days gone by.

Jo.

Offline KennethW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 December 22 22:15 GMT (UK) »
In 2011 or so there was a thread herein concerning Tom Wilson of Sanquhar. Are any of those who responded then – Lud, Lyncat, Treesearcher - still actively engaged? I’d like to get involved as I’m a descendant of Tom Wilson. A paternal uncle did much family history research during the 1990s, particularly with regard to ancestors in Leadhills and, more recently, Muirkirk.
Kindly get in touch as, in 2023, I'll be focusing on my uncle’s extensive hardcopy research, to update and bring to bear more modern methods of family history analysis.