Author Topic: Seeking Orphanage records for London 1945  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Lambden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Orphanage records for London 1945
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 June 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so so much everyone, I've only been on rootschat for about a day now and had no idea I would get so much feed back.

Again thank you so much.

Lambden. :)

P.S. Andy your right, on my fathers birth certificate it reads that it was registered in 46.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 June 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
I read a great book written by that inspirational lady...Kate Adie..."Nobody's Child" in which she describes at length the plight of the "Foundling Child" being one herself.

I think the only way you will ever know any truth is by writing to the local paper asking if anyone remembers a baby boy being found in a telephone kiosk...slim chance but you never know...If the Mother was a young, frightened unmarried mother at the end of WW2 she would have no means of supporting the child....She may still be alive!!!!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 June 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
I read a great book written by that inspirational lady...Kate Adie..."Nobody's Child" in which she describes at length the plight of the "Foundling Child" being one herself.

I think Kate was adopted but never a foundling.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Brenpflaum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 February 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Lambden,  I am researching a grandmother of mine who had a daughter born in London in 1939. I just wanted to share what I found. The mother is listed as residence at 2 Arthur St., Chelsea London. When I look up  Records I find that Arthur Street was renamed dovehouse Street in late 1939. The records show this being a woman's hospital in 1939. Named Chelsea hospital for women.  I've also seen reference to the workhouse others have mentioned On Arthur or Dovehouse st. The Chelsea Hospital for women  shut down the top floor in late 1940 due to the impending war. The top floor  sustained bomb damage in April 1941.  Many people are farmed out to surrounding hospitals in that time.  The metropolitan archives in London do show hospital records to be available for viewing . It seems census records for this address are not available online