Author Topic: Corbett Shropshire  (Read 3301 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corbett Shropshire
« on: Friday 21 June 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am now totally out of my depth as heraldry has not played any part in my research in previous years. However, a possible family member has an inscription on the wall in Christchurch, Oxford with a mention of his coat of arms. Please could anyone suggest the meaning of the last phrase; a crescent for difference.
Tofgem

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Corbett Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 June 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
"For difference" is a small charge in English heraldry placed on the coat of arms by a son; in this case, "a crescent for difference" is the "cadency" mark of a second son.  The eldest son would place a label on his father's arms during his father's lifetime; upon his father's decease, he would then inherit the undifferenced arms and remove the label he had used until that time.  Second (and third, and fourth, and so on) sons place a small charge on the arms to difference them from their father's arms; these charges remain on the arms even after the father's decease, as the undifferenced arms may only be inherited by the eldest son.

There is a good basic article about heraldic cadency on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadency which explains the English system of cadency (as well as the Scottish system, which is different, and also the Canadian system of cadency marks for females, as under Canadian law daughters inherit arms equally with their brothers, and systems used in some other countries).

In brief, and to answer your question more directly, your family member was a second son (or his father was a second son), as his coat of arms demonstrates.

David

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. You have explained what I needed to know and given me another avenue to explore.
ofgem

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/salop/vol10/pp447-460

Possible owners of THE DEAN are recorded from c. 1230. (fn. 93) Thomas Corbet of the Dean died in 1538. (fn. 94) In 1618 the then freeholder, John Corbet, owned 104 a. there. (fn. 95) He or a namesake was dead in 1653, (fn. 96) and Richard Corbet of the Dean died in 1684. (fn. 97) Richard's son-in-law Richard Hartshorne (d. 1697), rector of Willey from 1687, (fn. 98) held the Dean, as did his son the Revd. R. C. Hartshorne (d. c. 1752). The son left his estates to Elizabeth Garrett, who married Jonathan Key in 1765. (fn. 99) In 1792 property comprising 99 a. at the Dean and a 15-a. allotment in Shirlett was said to belong to Keay & Co. Jonathan Key died in 1805 and in 1809 his widow Elizabeth and son John sold the Dean to Penelope Cartwright. (fn. 100) After Henry Cartwright's death in 1876 the Dean passed to his daughter Mrs. Elizabeth Penelope Ireland, who married John Hillman in 1879 and died in 1880. In 1910 the Dean (67 a.) belonged to her widowed daughter Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Sidebotham (née Ireland). (fn. 101) The house, called Little Dean Farm by 1966, when G. W. Chatham owned it, (fn. 102) is a timber framed 2½ storeyed building, presumably that described as new in 1631. (fn. 103)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbet_family

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock