Author Topic: Kenneth Mckenzie, Waterloo, Kiltearn  (Read 9361 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth Mckenzie, Waterloo, Kiltearn
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
Good luck!  If you get stuck again post on here.   :)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Ah!  "Sarah (means princess): Derivatives are Sara, Sal, Sally, Salley, Sallie, Sadie, Sadey, Sada, and Saida. Sara is both the German and French form. "
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Lesley mckenzie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi. I hope you see this. I stumbled upon this thread whilst doing my own research. My name is Lesley McKenzie and I live at Mountgerald. The estate has been split many times, and we are not the original owners. We live in the coach house on the estate, and own Mountgerald farm, the buildings of which we now run as holiday cottages. It may be too late, but Waterloo is the name of a house, just below the farm, which was once part of the estate, but isn't any more. Someone else owns the estate house and surrounding land. If we can help in any way with information, we would be glad to, and would be grateful to receive information from others about the estate.

Offline jmac22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley!

What fantastic news to see you've found this link! I'm a 4th generation 'Australian' Mckenzie and descended from a family who once lived on your property. I've been able to trace Kenneth and Margaret Mckenzie (formerly Fraser) in the 1841 and 1851 census as being firstly at Mountgerald and then at Waterloo. They then travelled to Australia, settling in South Australia and now have descendants spread all over the country.

If it isn't too much trouble it would be wonderful if you might be able to have a look at any documents, if you had time, that may still exist on the estate? Just trying to find any links that might find other family members or tell any stories of what they were doing. Kenneth was stated as being a spirit dealer and then carpenter. They had a large family, so I can only assume they must have come from large families back home.
But more importantly, thank you so much for finding and then responding to this message board, it was so exciting to see your post. I only wish I'd come across it earlier. I had a look years ago at the property photos online, what a beautiful place to live! Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be travelling with my own family back to visit our roots.

Thanks again Lesley, your message was a joy!

Jesse Mackenzie-Wyer

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting stuff Lesley, I posted a few months back on the Tallysow towards Evanton. The name crops up somewhere else!

Skoosh.

Offline Douglas Carrel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I've been adding details relating to this branch on to my own family tree on Ancestry, and I've found this thread to be valuable for filling in some of the gaps, as well as in giving me greater insight, as to where Kenneth and his family hailed from. I've added a photo to my tree, which I have reason to believe is Kenneth, although I've superimposed some explanatory blurb, just in case it's not. It's the only way I could think of to show the photo to other interested parties, in the hope that they can either confirm the identity or otherwise, and yet not have everyone copying it willy-nilly on to their own trees, on the assumtion that it must be the man in question. The photo is one of a number that came out of an album that belonged originally to Kenneth and Margaret's (Peggy's) grand-daughter Annie McAdam (nee McKenzie) and her husband, William Staveley Taylor McAdam. The album now belongs to Annie's great grand-daughter, Liz Barbante (nee Cunnington), who has kindly shared the content, and allowed me to add it to my tree. I've just noticed that there's a facility here on Rootschat to add photos, so I'll give it a try. If it's of interest, there are a number of other photos from the album that remain unidentified, and I'd appreciate it greatly if you, or any other McKenzie descendants reading this, might be able to assist in putting names to them. Ever hopeful : )