Author Topic: Kenneth Mckenzie, Waterloo, Kiltearn  (Read 9368 times)

Offline jmac22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kenneth Mckenzie, Waterloo, Kiltearn
« on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there everyone,

I have a query about villages in the kiltearn parish. I have a Kenneth Mckenzie born 1800 in Terentock who went on to marry a Margaret Fraser born 1802 in Fodderty, Ross. They were both captured in the 1841 and 1851 census as living in Waterloo, Kiltearn and having children there. So my question is has anyone come across Terentock or Waterloo as villages,  towns or settlements in their genealogy travels as I'd like to find it on a map, and has eluded me so far. Have been able to trace them once they arrived in Australia after 1852 but little about their origins in Scotland.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and also any ideas on where to look.
Thank you  :)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth Mckenzie, Waterloo, Kiltearn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
If that is Kenneth spirit dealer, according to Freecen the address is Mountgerald, Kiltearn in 1841, no mention of Waterloo.  That house still exists and is a listed building  Historic Scotland Building ID: 7919  OS Grid Coordinates: 257060, 861530.  Postcode: IV15 9TT which on investigation appears to be Balbirnie.

However there is a family also on the 1841 with a Kenneth aged 20 in Teanirick, Kiltearn which looks very similar to the second address possibly a mistranscription somewhere.  Maybe related?
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Mountgerald all associated buildings  http://her.highland.gov.uk/SingleResult.aspx?uid=MHG22431

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-7919-mountgerald-kiltearn

Of particular interest

Notes:

Present house, on earlier site, formerly called Clyne, a
    Mackenzie estate linked with Findon across the Cromarty
    Firth. Documentation concerning Mountgerald at least from
    1714 in possession of owner. [also a McKenzie]

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Is this the family?

marriage Kenneth Mckenzie marriage:   21 January 1826   Fodderty,Ross And Cromarty,Scotland spouse:Margt. Fraser

Children

Ann Mc Kenzie birth:   26 January 1827   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Peggy Fraser

Peggy Mc Kenzie  birth:   23 January 1829   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Peggy Fraser
assume the same child a mistransciption of the date and child didn't survive?   
Peggy Mc Kenzie birth:   20 June 1829   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Peggy Fraser

Alexander Mc Kenzie birth:   2 July 1831   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND  parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Peggy Fraser another infant mortality?  This would explain the 6+ year gap between Ann and Roderick

Rodk. Mc Kenzie  birth:   28 June 1833   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND     parents:Kennth. Mc Kenzie, Peggy Fraser

Margaret Mc Kenzie birth:   3 December 1835   FODDERTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Margt. Fraser

Catherine Mc Kenzie birth:   9 November 1837   KILTEARN,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Margrat Fraser

Alexander Mc Kenzie  birth:   13 January 1840   KILTEARN,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Margrat Fraser

The last 2 after 1841 census?  Are these two on the 1851 census?

Sallie Mc Kenzie birth:   14 July 1841   KILTEARN,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Margarat Fraser

John Mc Kenzie, birth:   26 February 1843   KILTEARN,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Kenneth Mc Kenzie, Margrate Fraser

If so, I think this may be Kenneth's birth the children's names tie in ie first male child Alexander second female child 'Peggy'/Margaret

Kenneth Mc Kenzie  christening:   4 June 1806   KILTEARN,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND parents:Alex Mc Kenzie, Margt Fraser

Offline jmac22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 June 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this is my family and your research is priceless. The loss of those children explains the large age gap which I had wondered about before. And the second Alexander is my direct ancestor, so it seems he was named for his grandfather. Thanks again, it's been wonderful seeing pictures of the buildings and property where they lived.

The last two children you mentioned, I have definitely seen John but no Sallie but a Sarah and there was also a Donald but he would have been 2yrs old on the 1851 census. Donald must have also been a child lost to high infant mortality as he was not present on their voyage to Australia. Also the census records mentioned 'mountquist' maybe another misinterpretation of Mountgerald?

I have also had mentioned a 'Waterloo House' in an area close to Mountgerald, but I imagine the use of the name 'Waterloo' would be quite common. Another researcher has also mentioned the village of Ferintosh as a possible misinterpretation of 'Terentock'. Is there any way of finding out where Kenneth's parents lived or is this a pipe dream?

Once again though thank you so much for this information, which is more than I've come across in the last year of starting my genealogy journey, which only proves I have a long way to go yet!  :)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 June 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
At the time of the 1841 census the estate [hereditary] owner appears to be Simon MacKenzie and family, it was normal for census takers to start with "the big hoose", look him up and you will see all the addresses in Mountgerald lead on from his.  http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl  Kenneth is [I think] just 6 addresses along so very likely on the estate itself.  Strangely or not Simon's wife is also Sarah.  Definitely worth contacting the present estate owner to see what the estate papers can tell you too!

Unfortunately the 1841 census is the first.  *If* Alexander McKenzie and Margaret Fraser were Kenneth's parents you could search for his siblings, marriage and see if any died here in Scotland after 1855 that would confirm the next generation for you.  If any died in 1855 you are on a winner, as the details on 1855 certs are amazing!  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

This looks like it might be their marriage (and yes looks like there are loads of siblings)  Alexr. Mckenzie  marriage:   14 March 1794 Kiltearn, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland spouse:Margaret Fraser

Regarding Terentock/Teanirick I have looked and can't see it, most likely it is a mistranscription of Teanord or Teachatt  see here http://www.rossandcromartyheritage.org/communit/p37/ht/pn/pn15.html 

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
More interesting stuff.  http://www.spanglefish.com/evantonoralhistoryproject/

On the Military link see Colin MacKenzie of Mountgerald father of Simon.  On the Estates link history of Mountgerald.

Offline jmac22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you again and again! I am busily getting through the information and leads you've kindly passed on. The links to the Mountgerald estate are fascinating, and will definitely contact the owners.

Also starting my search tonight for Kenneth's siblings and possible parents i.e. Alexander as a possibility! Thought it was interesting that he also noted his place of birth as 'Terentoch'. Sorry I know I've become a bit attached to this, but wondering if their is a connection to Ferintosh as it was a distillery and with Kenneth being a spirits dealer?..Will have a look at the siblings birth places to see if the same place comes up.

Ann, Kenneth's daughter also married a Simon Fraser before she arrived in Australia. He died not long after and she went on to become a land owner in her own right, astounding for a pioneer of south australia. So will look this up also with the new resources you've introduced me too. So thank you again.

Jmac.