Author Topic: Whatever happened to Ellen Martin?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Ellen Martin?
« on: Sunday 23 June 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
I am helping a friend research her family and we seem to have come to a dead end so I'm looking for inspiration. 

Her great grandfather, William James Martin remarried in 1898 after his first wife died.  His new wife was Pauline Stokes.  They had two daughters, Ellen born in around 1900 and Alice born around 1902.  I can see William, Pauline and Ellen in Barry, Glamorgan on the 1901 census.  Apparently they only stayed there a while before returning to the Clee Hill area of Shropshire.  By 1911 William is nowhere to be seen, Pauline is visiting a farm in Clee Hill with Alice, Ellen has apparently disappeared and William's older son Ernest is staying with his maternal relatives the Clents at Heath Farm, Clee Hill.  I understand William's older children did not get on with their stepmother and the older one, Thomas, headed off to NZ at a very young age to escape. Upset because Thomas wouldn't take him along, apparently Ernest signed up for the KSLI as soon as he was able, although I haven't managed to find any military records for him yet.  He certainly survived the war though and went on to marry Mary Isobel Watkins in due course. 

So, despite quite some searching, I can't see what happened to Ellen Martin (no signs she died between 1901 and 1911 and not with her mother's family),  William James (who was apparently a grocer) has completely disappeared, as has his wife Pauline.  She described herself as married on the 1911 census so William was apparently alive at that point.

As the Clee Hill area is so small and Martin is a relatively unusual name I was wondering if anyone else has been researching this family and might have some clues please?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Ellen Martin?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Any chance this could be Ellen?   ;D 

Marriages Canada  ( Ontario )

Name:   Ellen Martin
Birth Place:   Shropshire Eng
Father Name:   William Martin   Mother Name:   Pauline Stokes
Spouse Name:   Robert James White
Spouse's Age:   21
Spouse Birth Year:   abt 1898
Spouse Birth Place:   London, England
Spouse Father Name:   Charles White   Spouse Mother Name:   Elizabeth Rayner
Marriage Date:   30 Aug 1919
Marriage County or District:   York
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Well it certainly looks like it and that may have solved a large part of the problem!  Thanks you VERY much for that research.  I can't quite see how she got to Canada at the moment but at least I have a clue to work to now.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
I cant find her on a passenger list at the moment either.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueMcP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am the grand-daughter of Thomas James Martin (known as Jim) who emigrated to New Zealand. He was the eldest son of William James Martin and his first wife Catherine , nee Clent. His brother Ernest George Martin and sister stayed in the Clee Hill and Ludlow area. I would be interested in hearing from any of the Martin or Clent family as I am working on the family tree and do have some information to share.