Author Topic: Curwen / Corn (or something similar) of Enniskillen c1780's  (Read 2803 times)

guest189040

Curwen / Corn (or something similar) of Enniskillen c1780's
« on: Monday 24 June 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on William Curwen who was born in Enniskillen in about 1781, he moved to Lancashire in England and married an Alice Hodgen/Hodgson in 1812 in Bolton le Sands near Lancaster and Lived the remainder of his life in Nether Keller near Carnforth.

The census records give a variety of surnames so we presume that the census taker had difficulty with his accent.

Their Daughter Catherine married a Robert Gorse/Goose in 1848, and they also resided in Nether Kellet, as you can see I am having a little difficulty with surnames

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/42453927/family will take you to my family tree in Ancestry where you can see the lineage

All I have on William Curwen is a census entry that says he was born in Enniskillen in 1871, that's it, I cannot find anything further so I am hoping that another Roots Chat member is also researching the Curwen's (or a similar sounding name) in the area and that they can help fill in the gaps.

Many thanks

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curwen / Corn (or something similar) of Enniskillen c1780's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
it will be Curwen

http://familysearch.org

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I am aware of familysearch.org, but  I cannot find anything about him on Ancestry, Find My Past or Familysearch.org

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
What else exactly are you hoping to find online? William was born well before the start of civil registration in Ireland and many churches will not have records going back before 1850 let alone before 1800 (of those churches that do have surviving records most will probably not be online anywhere).

Spelling was not consistant until fairly recently so it's not uncommon to find all sorts of variations for a particular surname (sometimes 2 or more different spellings within a single document).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
It would seem that Irish records are limited but you never know there could be a member with a family bible that has the whole family tree in it.

If you do not ask a question you do not get an answer

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
It is now three years after I initiated the thread and there is no online updates that have enabled me to find out anything at all on the Wiliam Curwen.