Author Topic: Thomas Jolley, 1843, "Kill'd"  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Oura

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jolley, 1843, "Kill'd"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 September 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, Sarah was the daughter of Thomas Jolley (mentioned in the Preston Chronicle) and Mary Cunliffe. Thomas and Mary grew up in Scholes, Mary on the north side of Hardybutts and Thomas in Scholefield Lane. Mary had two children by unknown fathers before she fell pregnant with Sarah and married Thomas Jolley. Her fourth child she called William Jolley, father unknown. Her fifth child, my Mary Jolley, was the illegitimate daughter of William Jolley (from death certificate). Thomas Jolley had a brother called William and his father was also William, who was the son of William Jolley and Ellen Williams of Scholes. Whilst its somewhat academic whether my ancestor was the brother or the father, I don't like leaving stones unturned. After Mary Cunliffe's father died Mary moved from Hardybutts to Scholefield Lane, lending weight to the possibility that she moved into her father-in-law's house. Mary was recorded as a 33 year old “pauper charwoman” in 1851 when she had another illegitimate child before taking up residence with a Lewis Rowe, and having more children with him. 
Thank you very much for your help. 

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 September 16 08:20 BST (UK) »
Yet when 19 year old Mary Jolley marries
Matthew Hilton in 1867
she names Lewis Rowe as her father not William Jolley
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Oura

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 September 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
It has been a confusing issue for our family. My grandparents had a photo of Mary Jolley taken in 1881 and on the back is a note that says "Mary Hilton (nee Rowe) born 1848 (wife of Matthew Hilton) arrived Sydney on sailing ship 'Hereford' in 1882". And yet her son named William Jolley as her father for her death certificate in 1926. I have had to unpick the relationships in Mary's life. Fortunately Mary and her mother can be traced through the censuses and church records, clearly showing when they started living with Lewis Rowe. I haven't found a marriage with Lewis Rowe, which may turn up in time, but one son was baptized Stephen Rowe Jolley. It is clear that Lewis Rowe was both a father to the youngest children and a de facto stepfather of the older children, including my Mary Jolley.